Which cartoony game is more pleasing to the eye: Sunset Drive or Mario Kart 8?

#11scoobydoobydontPosted 5/8/2014 8:50:01 PM
Megamushroom666 posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
Look pretty even in terms of eye-pleasingness, I guess. Not sure I understand the comparison.

Watch both videos then answer: Which one looks better to you?
You know, in your opinion.

I watched both videos before posting, I really can't choose.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ep3FK5Z.png
#12___GJM___Posted 5/8/2014 9:12:17 PM
Mario Kart 8, but both games look beautiful. The thing holding back Sunset for me is the faces; something about them looks off.
---
#UnbanJim
#130PTICSPosted 5/8/2014 10:32:55 PM
I would say Sunset Overdrive looks more cartoony only because of the brighter colors.

I've never been into the MK games since it was first released on the SNES. I might buy MK8 for two reasons: to give my Wii U some use and to get a free game out of it. Nintendo is offering a choice between: Wind Waker, Pikmin 3, SMBU, or Wii Party U
#14RS_YELARAKAPosted 5/9/2014 5:18:23 AM
MK8 looks good but it's no better looking than last gen's (or current gen WiiU) Sonic All Star Racing.

Its only getting overblown because its on a Nintendo console that lacks graphically. So you get this overhype from their cartoony games.
---
GT - YELARAKA (Member of RS Squad)
3DS FC - 5301-0384-5258
#15da_StoOgePosted 5/9/2014 5:21:45 AM
They both look great. It's like asking to choose between ICO and Okami.
---
Being modded without reason since 2035.
#16adampeltzPosted 5/9/2014 5:38:03 AM
SS_MetalSonic posted...
As a professional graphics designer the answer is easy. Mostly because there can only be one answer. Sunset Overdrive. Dense polygon usage , shadows and lighting are way ahead of what Mario Kart is doing. From an artistic view; shadows and lighting is something we artist are taught to use from the beginning of our first serious art class.

So Sunset got it beat way too easily. Next I discuss textures but do I really need to? Of course I don't . Sunset has it beat again.

Everyone that that voted Mario Kart is wrong . They may say they like the look more but they can't say it looks better because that would make them a liar.

Factually wrong? I can perfectly render a ball in an empty room that has a ton of detail and perfect lighting. But if it's boring to look at, who cares whether it's technically more correct?

In movie terms, is The Mask more visually appealing than the original Star Wars movie just because it has better special effects? I'd argue that the answer is no, even though its special effects are far more "correct". Light Sabers are still cooler to look at than a CGI Jim Carry, no matter how much more detailed, textured, and properly lit his facial expressions may be.

There's more to art style than technique. It's about actual aesthetics and tapping into the pleasure center of an audience. That is more important than any texture or lighting technique.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691
#17SS_MetalSonicPosted 5/9/2014 5:47:38 AM
adampeltz posted...
SS_MetalSonic posted...
As a professional graphics designer the answer is easy. Mostly because there can only be one answer. Sunset Overdrive. Dense polygon usage , shadows and lighting are way ahead of what Mario Kart is doing. From an artistic view; shadows and lighting is something we artist are taught to use from the beginning of our first serious art class.

So Sunset got it beat way too easily. Next I discuss textures but do I really need to? Of course I don't . Sunset has it beat again.

Everyone that that voted Mario Kart is wrong . They may say they like the look more but they can't say it looks better because that would make them a liar.

Factually wrong? I can perfectly render a ball in an empty room that has a ton of detail and perfect lighting. But if it's boring to look at, who cares whether it's technically more correct?

In movie terms, is The Mask more visually appealing than the original Star Wars movie just because it has better special effects? I'd argue that the answer is no, even though its special effects are far more "correct". Light Sabers are still cooler to look at than a CGI Jim Carry, no matter how much more detailed, textured, and properly lit his facial expressions may be.

There's more to art style than technique. It's about actual aesthetics and tapping into the pleasure center of an audience. That is more important than any texture or lighting technique.

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.
---
http://shonmac.deviantart.com/ [ PSWiiPCBOX ] Currently playing - Sonic Generations, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Strider, inFamous: SS, Forza 5, Titanfall
#18Megamushroom666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 6:20:30 AM
Poll recap so far:
It started off neck and neck, Sunset Overdrive pulled ahead for awhile, then got hit with a Blue Shell.
---
Girl gets gangsta with a shovel: youtu.be/xi-WLSEUV4U
www.SNACKEROO.com - Snacks on camera.
#19InjusticeRebornPosted 5/9/2014 6:27:17 AM
It's somewhat amusing.

Like with Titanfall, there wasn't anything to compare with it on a certain console, so they went for PC comparisons. And now with Sunset Overdrive, there isn't anything to compare it on a certain console, so they went with the back up.

These Titanfall similarities are piling up!
---
10/03/14-11/03/14 - the day GameFAQs turned into the Dead Sea of the internet.
#20maizemaizePosted 5/9/2014 6:38:05 AM
MK8 has good physics.
SO needs to stand test of time.