If PS3 survived with Blu-Ray why can't X1 survive with Kinect?

#51regsantotomasPosted 5/12/2014 9:47:19 AM
I think that this is a bit of apples and oranges. Also, PS3 didn't "survive"; it did great on its own because it was a compelling solution. While the Xbox One may not reach the same type of numbers comparatively, it is likely to be equally relevant for many years despite the doom prognosticators.

Blu-Ray was a format that Sony wanted to push. And it worked. PS3 helped the format become more widely viable than HD-DVD.

It ultimately added convenience to the console by providing more space as games later on grew larger and larger. It was, at the time, believed to be the heir apparent format to DVD. That isn't the case for the masses who have adopted streaming/digital as their primary source of video entertainment outside of cable or OTA (over-the-air).

Kinect is a different matter. While it is much maligned by the a large portion of the core gaming market, it is clearly targeted to expand the functionality of the Xbox One as an entertainment device. While PS4 has been selling much better from a total console perspective, Kinect may still prove relevant in the months and years to come.

Microsoft does have some work to do to convince the larger general public that a $500 entertainment device works for them. At the same time, I don't believe that being able to deliver a great gaming solution is mutually exclusive from being to deliver an all-in-one device.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#52Shinobi120Posted 5/12/2014 10:39:28 AM(edited)
yiangaruuuga posted...
I do think that the Kinect could be the future. The future is supposedly VR/AR, and Sony has already stated for Project Morpheus that the PS Camera would be required. They have recently stated that the PS4 lightbar was built for Project Morpheus. I believe the Kinect will be beneficial to VR as it's a high-tech camera.

regsantotomas posted...
Kinect is a different matter. While it is much maligned by the a large portion of the core gaming market, it is clearly targeted to expand the functionality of the Xbox One as an entertainment device. While PS4 has been selling much better from a total console perspective, Kinect may still prove relevant in the months and years to come.

Microsoft does have some work to do to convince the larger general public that a $500 entertainment device works for them. At the same time, I don't believe that being able to deliver a great gaming solution is mutually exclusive from being to deliver an all-in-one device.

If that were true, then why are Microsoft scrambling trying to get Xbox One to be an "all gaming console?" Because the "all-in-one media box strategy" wasn't working.

Plus Kinect 2.0 isn't exactly being designed for gaming. It's being designed to watch you & collect data off of you. And your hardware has to be very powerful in order for VR to work properly. Xbox One doesn't even have that.
#53CallmegePosted 5/12/2014 10:54:32 AM
DVD: Innovative, useful, a massive step up from what it replaced (VHS for video and TV, CD for games)

Kinect 1.0: a gimmick that was never really utilised properly and only really worked if you lived in a big house. I don't want to have to REARRANGE THE GOD DAMNED FURNITURE JUST TO PLAY A GAME F*** OFF WITH THAT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blu-Ray: Another step up from DVD, HD video was beautiful, everyone had a positive experience with its predecessor, this is no different it just holds more data.

Kinect 2.0: A step up from an annoying, largely useless gimmick. Still a largely useless gimmick but with even more annoying features and I STILL HAVE TO REARRANGE HALF MY HOUSE TO USE IT.

See? If Microsoft hadn't launched Kinect 1.0 on 360 and hadn't pulled that BS at E3 last year, PS4 would now be dead in the water and Xbone would be printing money. Imagine, the next gen comes around, everyone is looking to see what new offerings the hardware manufacturers have. Sony has what ultimately amounts to PS3.5 and Microsoft unveils this machine where your body is the controller. That would have BLOWN. PEOPLE. AWAY.

For 2 years until like with the Wii everyone realised it was a crap gimmick.
---
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008
#54HiddenRoarPosted 5/12/2014 1:42:03 PM
Because Amazon somehow came up with an entertainment device that's more accurate than the Kinect and for cheaper (and without a paywall)