The Kinect USP Hypocrisy

#11HaeravonPosted 5/11/2014 4:41:23 PM
I thought the 'USP' of the console would be its exclusive games, not its gimmicky peripheral? I mean, isn't that pretty much the problem with the Wii-U right now? The Wii-U and the Xbone prove that gamers care more about high-quality games, not about 'new' ways to play games less efficiently. Might just be me, but I knew that I wasn't hoping successor to the 360 would feature the ability to shout at my HDTV as its 'USP'.
---
Join the gaming community at www.haeravon.com.
#12HorridhalPosted 5/11/2014 4:49:49 PM
But it isn't a 'Unique Selling Point.' The PSEye, while not as technologically advanced as the Kinect 2.0, is effectively the same thing. A camera.

The difference is you aren't forced to purchase it along with the system nor is the system based off its use.

Forcing people to purchase a peripheral, and one that isn't used in any meaningful way at that, is and was stupid on MS's part.

They have offered no use for it outside of the atrocity that is the new Dashboard. If it was honestly such a ground breaking device then it should be easy to figure out ways to use it in games to get more enjoyment from it.

As it stands it is used in exactly the way everyone who wasn't a fanboy expected. Which is to say not at all.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#13CharocksPosted 5/11/2014 4:56:20 PM
Geist posted...
People who claim they would buy a Kinectless XB1 are lying. If there was one, they would just be complaining about something else. Ignore them TC, they are not worth any ones time.

Hes right, we'd be complaining about another way M$ is trying to f*** us over.
---
Former Xbox Fan - A Flying Ewok
Official Arrow in the Knee of the Skyrim board (360)
#14extankerPosted 5/11/2014 4:57:32 PM
CharadeSmith posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
First, price was the issue; "Kinect-free means cheaper, and if that happened I'd be able to afford it!" - then the price went down and it seemed the Kinect grudge only heightened.

I simply can't see why, now that the price has lowered, it's still an incredible sticking point. Like maintaining spite solely for the sake of continuing a stance that benefits nobody, not least your own self..

If the price goes down while still keeping the Kinect, it means that the price could go further down without kinect. Lowering the price isn't enough, the Kinect needs to go too. If people don't want it they shouldn't have to pay 1 cent for it.

This is the problem right here.

Say Microsoft says 'we know you want a kinectless Xbox One for $299. Well, our vision for the future includes the Kinect. We are so dedicated to that, that we aren't dropping the Kinect, but we are still going to lower the price to $299 anyway because that is what the fans have been asking for.'

The fans answer: 'oh really? Well now that is not good enough, now I want a kinectless Xbox One for $199.'

So basically, even if Microsoft said here is your Xbox One for 299, but we are gonna throw the Kinect in there for free, you can throw it away or do what you want with it, that's still not good enough. You can't tell me there isn't blind hatred there.
#15BIack_PriviIegePosted 5/11/2014 5:05:31 PM
Kinect is not a selling point for gamers. It's a selling point for advertisers.
#16CharadeSmithPosted 5/11/2014 5:07:47 PM
extanker posted...
CharadeSmith posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
First, price was the issue; "Kinect-free means cheaper, and if that happened I'd be able to afford it!" - then the price went down and it seemed the Kinect grudge only heightened.

I simply can't see why, now that the price has lowered, it's still an incredible sticking point. Like maintaining spite solely for the sake of continuing a stance that benefits nobody, not least your own self..

If the price goes down while still keeping the Kinect, it means that the price could go further down without kinect. Lowering the price isn't enough, the Kinect needs to go too. If people don't want it they shouldn't have to pay 1 cent for it.

Say Microsoft says 'we know you want a kinectless Xbox One for $299. Well, our vision for the future includes the Kinect. We are so dedicated to that, that we aren't dropping the Kinect, but we are still going to lower the price to $299 anyway because that is what the fans have been asking for.'

The fans answer: 'oh really? Well now that is not good enough, now I want a kinectless Xbox One for $199.'

So basically, even if Microsoft said here is your Xbox One for 299, but we are gonna throw the Kinect in there for free, you can throw it away or do what you want with it, that's still not good enough. You can't tell me there isn't blind hatred there.

Nope. Remove the Kinect. If they want to give something for free then make it a game. If there's nothing for free, then reduce the price accordingly.
---
Master! We are in a tight spot!
#17extankerPosted 5/11/2014 7:16:31 PM
CharadeSmith posted...
extanker posted...
CharadeSmith posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

Nope. Remove the Kinect. If they want to give something for free then make it a game. If there's nothing for free, then reduce the price accordingly.

Thank you for proving my point. They aren't going to drop it and people like you are going to stamp your feet and whine no matter how low the price drops.

'Xbox One is now just one dollar!' 'Drop the Kinect and make it .50 cents or I'm not buying it!'
#18LooksLikeRainPosted 5/11/2014 7:21:18 PM
CharadeSmith posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

Effectively, this would mean removing the main USP (unique selling point) of the product

what..?

I'm just going to assume this is a troll topic

LOL! SAYS CHARADESMITH. Priceless.
---
For the love of god, stop saying 'whilst.'
#19mokmuudPosted 5/11/2014 7:31:20 PM
People will always find something to complain about. If it wasn't Kinect it would be something else.
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#20avanentPosted 5/11/2014 7:53:05 PM
extanker posted...
CharadeSmith posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

Nothing is free. Someone, somewhere is paying for. Less money for developers because MS gives you a 'free' kinect you don't want... or less nfl, or less tv, tv, tv... somewhere, something must pay for it... and it might be games. Right now, nfl and tv tv tv and kinect is money they couuld of instead spent on games.