The Kinect USP Hypocrisy

#21LazyyAmericanPosted 5/11/2014 7:57:25 PM
I'm quite sure there's a sizable market of people who don't give two ***** about kinect.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#22SparkItUpPosted 5/11/2014 8:02:18 PM(edited)
Geist posted...
People who claim they would buy a Kinectless XB1 are lying. If there was one, they would just be complaining about something else. Ignore them TC, they are not worth any ones time.

False. There are quite a few of us that would gladly pay 400-450 for the console if it didn't come with Kinect. I'm sorry you feel that some are lying, but there truly are those of us that simply do not want it and do not want to pay for something we do not want.

If it didn't launch with it, I would have paid $500 for the console.
#23Laylow12Posted 5/11/2014 8:09:22 PM
mokmuud posted...
People will always find something to complain about. If it wasn't Kinect it would be something else.

Like last gen graphics, buggy UI, lack of games, overpriced, under powered?

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#24SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2014 8:11:32 PM(edited)
But Kinect just happens to be part and parcel of the product. Microsoft is eager to promote the Xbox One experience as "a new way to experience an all-in-one system", not "a slightly more powerful version of the thing you've been playing for the past eight years".

Don't get me wrong, I've been there. I initially hated the concept of the Wii because it "wasn't the Gamecube 2", and that it should've been "more like Gamecube". I used variants of that phrase to a sickening degree. And though some of the things Nintendo's Wii did irk me (or flat-out confused me), in retrospect it really did innovate the landscape of half a decade's worth of gaming and gave me some truly unique experiences.

So to be mad at the Xbox One for not being "Xbox 360... 2" is incredibly stubborn, like defiance of progress for fear of deviating. Of course, if you've invested eight years in last generation's 360 as I have, you'll be attached to certain mechanics and traits. Nobody can deny this. But to flat-out exclude anything that's not "Xbox 360 2" isn't progress at all.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#25HorridhalPosted 5/11/2014 8:13:16 PM
Horridhal posted...
But it isn't a 'Unique Selling Point.' The PSEye, while not as technologically advanced as the Kinect 2.0, is effectively the same thing. A camera.

The difference is you aren't forced to purchase it along with the system nor is the system based off its use.

Forcing people to purchase a peripheral, and one that isn't used in any meaningful way at that, is and was stupid on MS's part.

They have offered no use for it outside of the atrocity that is the new Dashboard. If it was honestly such a ground breaking device then it should be easy to figure out ways to use it in games to get more enjoyment from it.

As it stands it is used in exactly the way everyone who wasn't a fanboy expected. Which is to say not at all.

Because I am too lazy to type it all again.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#26avanentPosted 5/11/2014 8:15:25 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
But Kinect just happens to be part and parcel of the product. Microsoft is eager to promote the Xbox One experience as "a new way to experience an all-in-one system", not "a slightly more powerful version of the thing you've been playing for the past eight years".

Don't get me wrong, I've been there. I initially hated the concept of the Wii because it "wasn't the Gamecube 2", and that it should've been "more like Gamecube". I used variants of that phrase to a sickening degree. And though some of the things Nintendo's Wii did irk me (or flat-out confused me), in retrospect it really did innovate the landscape of half a decade's worth of gaming and gave me some truly unique experiences.

So to be mad at the Xbox One for not being "Xbox 360... 2" is incredibly stubborn, like defiance of progress for fear of deviating. Of course, if you've invested eight years in last generation's 360 as I have, you'll be attached to certain mechanics and traits. Nobody can deny this. But to flat-out exclude anything that's not "Xbox 360 2" isn't progress at all.

The wii and its motion controls, even if gimmicky, and whether or not you liked it, was all about games. The kinect is not. Its about a lot of other things. Nintendo took a very gutsy move, and it did cost them some of the more traditional titles, but they did also gather a lot of new interest with it.

The Kinect is not new, we've seen it, developers have seen it, and overall it just isn't doing anything impressive, despite costing a significant percent of the console's price tag.
#27leatheljPosted 5/11/2014 8:31:30 PM
extanker posted...
CharadeSmith posted...
extanker posted...
CharadeSmith posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
First, price was the issue; "Kinect-free means cheaper, and if that happened I'd be able to afford it!" - then the price went down and it seemed the Kinect grudge only heightened.

I simply can't see why, now that the price has lowered, it's still an incredible sticking point. Like maintaining spite solely for the sake of continuing a stance that benefits nobody, not least your own self..

If the price goes down while still keeping the Kinect, it means that the price could go further down without kinect. Lowering the price isn't enough, the Kinect needs to go too. If people don't want it they shouldn't have to pay 1 cent for it.

This is the problem right here.

Say Microsoft says 'we know you want a kinectless Xbox One for $299. Well, our vision for the future includes the Kinect. We are so dedicated to that, that we aren't dropping the Kinect, but we are still going to lower the price to $299 anyway because that is what the fans have been asking for.'

The fans answer: 'oh really? Well now that is not good enough, now I want a kinectless Xbox One for $199.'

So basically, even if Microsoft said here is your Xbox One for 299, but we are gonna throw the Kinect in there for free, you can throw it away or do what you want with it, that's still not good enough. You can't tell me there isn't blind hatred there.

Nope. Remove the Kinect. If they want to give something for free then make it a game. If there's nothing for free, then reduce the price accordingly.

Thank you for proving my point. They aren't going to drop it and people like you are going to stamp your feet and whine no matter how low the price drops.

'Xbox One is now just one dollar!' 'Drop the Kinect and make it .50 cents or I'm not buying it!'

The truth ^ some ppl will never be pleased.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#28aszsithPosted 5/11/2014 10:47:31 PM
I find the debate, for the most part, always boils down to price. Many of the detractors on this site continually argue that Kinect inflates the system price by $100 and that is their sole point of argument. $100.

I hate to sound like a snob when I'm really trying to be the voice of reason and responsibility, but if $100 is the difference between buying the console or not, then you shouldn't buy it. You clearly either do not have the disposable resources or you lack the desire to spend your resources on an already expensive toy.

Like others have said, no matter what price point the console is, they feel Kinect is inflating it. Personally, I would like to see how many would buy an XBOne for $500 if it was offered without Kinect. After all, if the inclusion of Kinect is the real issue that is preventing them from buying the toy they so desperately want, then they should be willing to pay the asking price for it. Of course they will say it should cost less at that point. Which just goes to show that the argument is really about money, not Kinect.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#29LooksLikeRainPosted 5/12/2014 12:04:22 AM
SparkItUp posted...
Geist posted...
People who claim they would buy a Kinectless XB1 are lying. If there was one, they would just be complaining about something else. Ignore them TC, they are not worth any ones time.

False. There are quite a few of us that would gladly pay 400-450 for the console if it didn't come with Kinect. I'm sorry you feel that some are lying, but there truly are those of us that simply do not want it and do not want to pay for something we do not want.

If it didn't launch with it, I would have paid $500 for the console.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read here.
---
For the love of god, stop saying 'whilst.'
#30nableetPosted 5/12/2014 1:56:13 AM
Sigh. If the kinect had more uses than navigating a , what I can only assume intentionally, bad UI then I would not be as concerned. Most games aren't using it. Most tasks could be completed through a simple mic command, no need for the camera.

I would buy an xbone that is cheaper than the PS4 and without the kinect. Buying the product with kinect shows support for them including the kinect. I don't support this, so I won't buy it.

If the kinect is good enough then they can have two bundles, one with and one without. Then those that buy in to the idea can be happy and those that don't can happily buy the console for the exclusives.

What I still don't understand is why you people defend kinect being included? Why are you so against its removal? Don't give me that 100% attach BS, games are not using it. Announced exclusives (SO) are not using it.

TC, you claim to work for Ubisoft on the Division.... Are you using kinect? If so, is it more than voice commands? No doubt you won't answer, but if you aren't using it, then surely you are part of the problem.
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff