Electronic Arts Declares War on GameStop

#1That_Damn_KidPosted 5/11/2014 3:33:59 PM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/11/electronic-arts-declares-war-on-gamestop.aspx

If Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA ) succeeds, GameStop (NYSE: GME ) could fail. On its earnings call last week, Electronic Arts' CFO, Blake Jorgensen, set a target for the company -- one that should make GameStop executives very nervous.

"We're excited that we're reaching the 50% mark in digital business and what we're really focused on is how do we get closer to 100%. We believe that there is a huge opportunity and that the business is indeed changing."

there's more to the article but it will be interesting to see where GS is by the end of this gen.
---
I'm not a kid, I just act like one
GT: ITS DAT DAM KID --- PSN: Lamburghini89///PS4, X1, Wii U, 360, 3DS
#2kennyynnooPosted 5/11/2014 3:39:50 PM
Telling you we need game stop to exist somewhat. They are slowly heading to digital only and at full price. This would lead to a crash, so many companies survive off dlc and so many gamers rely on used cheap games then get dlc. Without used games I would buy less new ones, I only own a x1 from selling my used games.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#3thasnipermasterPosted 5/11/2014 3:40:31 PM
GameStop/EBGames ARE DEAD
---
Im opposite of a care bear
KILLING FLOOR 2!!! FINALLY!!!
#4TauriLeaderPosted 5/11/2014 3:40:45 PM
Gamestop stops selling EA games cutting EA's physical Game profit to zero.
---
Due to recent economic conditions, and the rising cost of Electricity, Gas and Oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
#5That_Damn_Kid(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2014 3:41:09 PM
kennyynnoo posted...
Telling you we need game stop to exist somewhat. They are slowly heading to digital only and at full price. This would lead to a crash, so many companies survive off dlc and so many gamers rely on used cheap games then get dlc. Without used games I would buy less new ones, I only own a x1 from selling my used games.

if everything eventually become digital and at full price I would move to PC gaming only
---
I'm not a kid, I just act like one
GT: ITS DAT DAM KID --- PSN: Lamburghini89///PS4, X1, Wii U, 360, 3DS
#6kennyynnooPosted 5/11/2014 3:43:37 PM
That_Damn_Kid posted...
kennyynnoo posted...

if everything eventually become digital and at full price I would move to PC gaming only

Issue is consoles would die and many games will go down with them.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#7HaeravonPosted 5/11/2014 3:52:54 PM
Once the physical market is dead, you can kiss any meaningful sales goodbye. The only reason there are such good digital sales (besides trying to suck more money out of old games in the tail-end of their sale life) is to crush the physical market. I expect to see an all digital future where games still cost $60 at launch, and stay that price for a year after release. Just a way to take away more consumer freedom and make more money by selling the same product.

Also not excited by this prospect because of bandwidth limitations and the death of net neutrality. All things considered, an all-digital future is looking like a pain in the ass.
---
Join the gaming community at www.haeravon.com.
#8SearchmanV16Posted 5/11/2014 4:01:06 PM
Haeravon posted...
Once the physical market is dead, you can kiss any meaningful sales goodbye. The only reason there are such good digital sales (besides trying to suck more money out of old games in the tail-end of their sale life) is to crush the physical market. I expect to see an all digital future where games still cost $60 at launch, and stay that price for a year after release. Just a way to take away more consumer freedom and make more money by selling the same product.

Also not excited by this prospect because of bandwidth limitations and the death of net neutrality. All things considered, an all-digital future is looking like a pain in the ass.

I agree with this. The only thing I can see that could work in an all digital future is innovative game making, which is hardly the case today. Different companies can price scheme their flagship FPS at different prices to help consumers, but it's not going to happen. Look at app sales on the Play Store and App Store, not many significant sales, but some things occasionally go on sale.
---
Let's go Heat, Jaguars, Panthers, Canes, and Yankees.
Current Devices: Galaxy Note 3, iPad Mini, and PS4.
#9ThatLaoGuyPosted 5/11/2014 4:08:46 PM
Good. This would motivate the scumbag drop outs to get an education and find a real job lol
---
If you want to see grown men online throw tantrums, visit the xbone board.
#10Majik25Posted 5/11/2014 4:20:49 PM
TauriLeader posted...
Gamestop stops selling EA games cutting EA's physical Game profit to zero.

Implying gamestop is the only place to buy games....
---
Xbox Live Gt - Majik518