Electronic Arts Declares War on GameStop

#61CaIiber345Posted 5/12/2014 2:24:56 AM
All digital video game ecosystem? The way Internet services, console hard drive space, and game installs are now?

Thanks for the wonderful memories, gaming. Best of luck to you.

*goes back to heavy reading*
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: Destiny, No Man's Sky, Rogue Legacy, The Witness
#62kakarot-uchihaPosted 5/12/2014 11:21:36 AM
so gamefaqs does it again. despite all the trolling and craziness, more often than not, gamers are forthcoming about their gamibg habits and opinions. yet again the exact same result for this idea. most aren't into it with respect to choosing to transition. 2, it shows a giant negative impact if it's forced.

and i'd still love for anyone to show me, us, the figures, the detrimental effect, and the total positive effect.

i'm sure we've read most of the same articles but i might have it wrong and i love gaming. i don't mean this in a hostile way, just lay it out for us and be specific.

my thinking is that gamestop is net positive and greatly benefits gaming so much that the short-term gains, for ea's declared war and small increases, would create much more loss for them, to the industry they are in, total sales, and outweigh that one box that shows 'up from last quarter'. and most other boxes show down.
#63duke_nuke47Posted 5/12/2014 1:20:52 PM
when they change the rules of net neutrality later this year, we the customer will end up paying more for digital and streaming content. this alone should tell you the demand for game disks will remain strong forever. we may start to see dlc or expansion disks.

im guessing the price for live and psn will skyrocket. gaming online will become expensive. developers making single player games won't waste time on the multiplayer part anymore. this suits me just fine but i bet it upsets ea and micro. lol.

quit worrying about game disks and single player, they will only get stronger.
#64StrongBlackVinePosted 5/12/2014 1:25:54 PM
TauriLeader posted...
Gamestop stops selling EA games cutting EA's physical Game profit to zero.

You seriously underestimate how powerful EA is in the console business. Gamestop would only hurt themselves by doing that.
#65TBONE_OGPosted 5/12/2014 1:46:21 PM(edited)
I love digital games.

Sick of storing physical games on shelves, gathering dust, getting worn.

Love having games all on a hard drive, load up with ease, bounce from game to game.

Maybe these game stores could sell a download code. That way, they could stay competitive. Also, people are still going to gift games. There should be a solution to all of this. I'm not worried at all. They'll figure it out.

If the game is too much? Don't buy.
---
Always O.G.
#66StrongBlackVinePosted 5/12/2014 1:51:01 PM
TBONE_OG posted...
I love digital games.

Love having games all on a hard drive, load up with ease, bounce from game to game.

Maybe these game stores could sell a download code. That way, they could stay competitive. Also, people are still going to gift games. There should be a solution to all of this. I'm not worried at all. They'll figure it out.

I like being able to dump games that turn out be disappointments. Only way I would go all digital is if the prices were comparable to PC games.
#67regsantotomasPosted 5/12/2014 1:51:39 PM
A couple of things.

Like many of these editorials, the title is more than a bit sensationalistic.

Second, I do think that it is abundantly clear that digital distribution is not only here to stay but a growing paradigm. It is growing momentum at a rapid pace.

Yes, it is premature to think that digital distribution will immediately replace physical medium but ultimately, it will become more and more commonplace and places like GameStop will need to re-evaulate their business model.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#68Kuro-chan_101Posted 5/12/2014 1:51:42 PM
Sounds to me like this is more about control and restrictions, rather than competition and prices.

As things go, I am already done with new games, anyway. The 8th gen. has zero appeal to me and I can get enjoyable game play through my current, older library.
---
~ Kuro-chan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
#69rusty12000Posted 5/12/2014 2:01:57 PM
deepshadow4125 posted...
rusty12000 posted...
Can't really blame them honestly Gamespot takes so much money from the developers. Seems digital is the future.

Take so much from the developers? It's not like the developers are selling their games used to the population at a discounted rate. Sure the developers don't get anything of the resale of the game, but if that is the only way another person would buy it (with the chance of the person buying DLC), then the developer wouldn't get any money anyways. Where Gamestop makes most of their money is the fact that gamers trade in their old stuff and get some of their money back. Sure it seems a little harsh at the steep price difference you get in return, but they have to pay their employee's and what not. The ONLY way the developers would be getting taken advantage of is the fact of a used game selling for the same price as a new copy. $5 shy can be a stretch, but like I said, it's Gamestops way of keeping their stores open.

The issue is a lot of people wait for used copies, because they are cheaper. When they sell the game used the developer gets nothing. That is what makes steam such a great, and profitable service. Developers can put there games on sale for even cheaper then gamestop will sell them for, and still makes 75% of whatever they got sold for.

So when you go to gamestop and save yourself 20$ buying a game used for lets say 30$. The developer just lost money, because if there wasn't used games you wouldn't be able to buy it used, so either you buy a new copy or don't play the game at all. Now lets say that game went on one of the many sales on steam and the game ended up being just 10$. The developer is still making $7.50 off that game, not gamestop.

All in all used games are killing off developers. Luckily steam is here to support the developers. Which is why pretty much all multiplat games are being put on PC now.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#70TBONE_OGPosted 5/12/2014 2:03:54 PM
StrongBlackVine posted...
TBONE_OG posted...
I love digital games.

I like being able to dump games that turn out be disappointments. Only way I would go all digital is if the prices were comparable to PC games.

Well there's still that idea MS had of being able to sell digital games. Well... it was some way to get the disc activated again. But maybe they can introduce a license trade in system.

People are going to go with price first. So if a game costs to much, people will not buy.
---
Always O.G.