What Does Direct X Do?

#1SearchmanV16Posted 5/12/2014 7:02:20 AM
What does Direct X do for the Xbox One? I am not a PC gamer, so idk what it even does. Does it close the hardware gap or just shortens it?
---
Let's go Heat, Jaguars, Panthers, Canes, and Yankees.
Current Devices: Galaxy Note 3, iPad Mini, and PS4.
#2KOOGARPosted 5/12/2014 7:05:54 AM
It sings the lullaby for the Xbone.
---
Don't read this - it hurts your eyes.
#3Tyronelio1Posted 5/12/2014 7:12:44 AM
I'm not a techie or anything but I think it's just for allocating resources and optimisation?
---
Welcome to Sonyfaqs.com.
Currently playing: Bayonetta, DBZ: Raging Blast 2, WWE/NBA 2K13, Alan Wake, GTAIV: Complete Edition, TC: HAWX 2, Dark Souls 2.
#4CharadeSmithPosted 5/12/2014 7:13:44 AM
it's the imaginary friend who establishes communication between software and hardware
---
Master! We are in a tight spot!
#5Jptremblay13Posted 5/12/2014 7:19:07 AM
"DirectX is a set of low-level Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that provides Windows programs with high-performance hardware-accelerated multimedia support. DirectX enables the program to easily determine the hardware capabilities of your computer, and then sets the program parameters to match."
#6cheezedadadaPosted 5/12/2014 7:19:21 AM
DirectX is basically just a collection of APIs. APIs are just programming interfaces that are designed to control how software works..pretty much just resources that can call routines/functions and ease the actual task of programming itself. It helps to optimize and lessen the required work of a specific task through those means.

To be honest, I used to do a lot of programming back in my college days, but it's been years now and I am super rusty and out of that game. The only stuff I need to do at my job even remotely close is minimal scripting work (vbscript/powershell/PHP) So yeah, either someone more qualified will answer or just google around for stuff like API (Application Programming Interface) and get a general idea of what it all means.
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and everything else.
#7Killah PriestPosted 5/12/2014 7:20:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8SearchmanV16(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 7:27:03 AM
Oh okay, yeah now it's layman's terms, it's easier to understand. I see it will narrow the gap because the X1 becomes more efficient. Is it enough to get rid of the 1080p/60FPS argument between the X1 and PS4?
---
Let's go Heat, Jaguars, Panthers, Canes, and Yankees.
Current Devices: Galaxy Note 3, iPad Mini, and PS4.
#9fan360Posted 5/12/2014 7:28:41 AM(edited)
It makes sure PS4 cannot connect on a PC.

Or Directly download XXX?
#10BeefEasterPosted 5/12/2014 7:35:19 AM
SearchmanV16 posted...
Oh okay, yeah now it's layman's terms, it's easier to understand. I see it will narrow the gap because the X1 becomes more efficient. Is it enough to get rid of the 1080p/60FPS argument between the X1 and PS4?

no

ps4 uses opengl which is basically the same thing
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg