A question about indies on xbox and PS4

#1bushidoblitzzPosted 5/12/2014 10:41:07 AM
I hear a lot of people talking about how indies don't matter on PS4 since they didn't matter on 360.

So on 360, are people lumping the indie games under the indies section, in the same category as the Xbox Arcade titles?

A game like Extreme Baby Maker is no way in the same league as a game like Bastion. Both may be considered "indies" but there is a reason they were separate in the marketplace.

To me those games like Extreme Baby Maker don't count, they are on the same level as 99 cent iphone games.

So by saying indies don't matter, you are saying games like Shadow Complex and Resogun are don't matter crap games?
---
Home What's New Contribute Features Boards Users Help 3DS DS iPhone PC PS2 PS3 PS4 PSP Vita Wii Wii U Xbox 360 Xbox One All Systems
#2BaronVladzPosted 5/12/2014 10:44:14 AM
bushidoblitzz posted...
I hear a lot of people talking about how indies don't matter on PS4 since they didn't matter on 360.

So on 360, are people lumping the indie games under the indies section, in the same category as the Xbox Arcade titles?

A game like Extreme Baby Maker is no way in the same league as a game like Bastion. Both may be considered "indies" but there is a reason they were separate in the marketplace.

To me those games like Extreme Baby Maker don't count, they are on the same level as 99 cent iphone games.

So by saying indies don't matter, you are saying games like Shadow Complex and Resogun are don't matter crap games?

Indies are games created by independent developers with a much smaller budget than AAA titles; at least that's my definition. It seems people define indie however they wish nowadays. All I know is that I treat indies like any other set of games; there are good ones and there are bad ones. ie Resogun and Outlast are awesome; Stick it to the Man is not.
#3Jedi454Posted 5/12/2014 10:45:16 AM
The only indies that matter are quality indies, Sony is letting every man and his dog create indies for their console, so that throws their trophy system out of whack and there will be no way of filtering out the bad indies from the good, so you end up with a marketplace like Steam with outright broken titles.
---
*~Waiting For~* Borderlands PreSequel, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny, Sacred 3, The Division and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.
#4BaronVladzPosted 5/12/2014 10:48:11 AM
Jedi454 posted...
The only indies that matter are quality indies, Sony is letting every man and his dog create indies for their console, so that throws their trophy system out of whack and there will be no way of filtering out the bad indies from the good, so you end up with a marketplace like Steam with outright broken titles.

That's going a bit far; I don't see how the trophy system has anything to do with PS's game library. No matter how many indies there are in the store, you can still do your research and pick the ones you want to buy. Being an educated consumer is important in every aspect of life, not just gaming. More games is never a bad thing for a console library.
#5CharadeSmithPosted 5/12/2014 11:07:30 AM
Jedi454 posted...

That's not true at all. The only trashy one we've seen was Basement Crawl.

Getting the developers of Bastion, Magicka, Dear Esther and Amnesia AMFP making games for you is not letting everyone make games. Then there's the ports of critically aclaimed games like Outlast, The Swapper, etc.
---
Master! We are in a tight spot!
#6kcypher2000Posted 5/12/2014 11:11:19 AM
Last gen people ignored all indies whether they were on the indie or arcade. That is what i find ironic since they count anything on ps4 regardless of quality.

Now ps4 has some $15 sports indy that looks worse than many xbox 360 indie channel games. But wait graphics dont matter then but unnoticable resolution does matter. 180s..... So many 180s....
#7Jedi454Posted 5/12/2014 11:15:40 AM
CharadeSmith posted...
Jedi454 posted...

That's not true at all. The only trashy one we've seen was Basement Crawl.

Getting the developers of Bastion, Magicka, Dear Esther and Amnesia AMFP making games for you is not letting everyone make games. Then there's the ports of critically aclaimed games like Outlast, The Swapper, etc.

Not many have been released yet, but there are bound to be a lot of mediocre to crappy titles if they've got 2000 games coming to the Ps4.
---
*~Waiting For~* Borderlands PreSequel, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny, Sacred 3, The Division and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.
#8CharadeSmithPosted 5/12/2014 11:20:17 AM
they said around 100 in 2014, no 2k lol.

looking at the people associated with live@id or whatever MS's programme name is i'd be a lot more worried about a future flood of trash on XB1 than PS4...i expect nothing better than only the "best" XBLIG games, which is still too poor. In truth, MS is the one that is letting anyone make games; the only condition is that they accept their terms for the programme. Sony is actually manually picking them.
---
Master! We are in a tight spot!
#9GeistPosted 5/12/2014 11:29:28 AM
I like how MS just calls them all games now. We should do that as well. That way we can stop meriting games on some silly little "indie vs AAA" guide line and start judging them as what they are, games.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#10kcypher2000Posted 5/12/2014 11:35:35 AM
Geist posted...
I like how MS just calls them all games now. We should do that as well. That way we can stop meriting games on some silly little "indie vs AAA" guide line and start judging them as what they are, games.

Then people should not mock the ouya or mobile games, people should never whine about minor resolution differences and ponies should never claim MS abandoned the 360 considering it had over 3000 "games".