I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 5/13/2014 11:27:33 AM
To those who like it concise: Games consoles are machines rapidly losing unique relevance in a world where high-quality gaming can be accessed almost anywhere. By removing unique features and hardware from the machine, you are removing a facet distinguishing it from something other than "a souped up iPad" or "a poor man's PC".

To those that favour depth:. In addition to what I already wrote, I see this as a foreshadowing to yet another stagnation of game design and content.

This is because, for some bizarre reason, people forget that this is not the eighties or nineties, where consoles can sell solely on the merits of hardware power alone. Hell, even the Xbox 360 was on the cusp back in 2006, where PCs with similar specifications would cost almost the same. Originally, consoles were designed to reproduce arcades within the home, offering gaming experiences otherwise unthinkable in a domestic surrounding.

Nintendo pre-empted the futile power-struggle with Wii, and though it garnered some hatred and hit-or-miss technological success, at the time it wasrelevant as a console, because, as consoles are designed to do, it allowed you to play games in a way no other device in your home possibly could.

Fast-forward to current generation and the choices made were all very well-founded; the Wii U's hardware makes it effectively the first home console Nintendo DS, which is a marketer's dream; sadly, the marketing team took the generation off. Then there's the Xbox One, which opted to try out persistently evolving, always online game worlds, even in single-player; a solid, download-only drive, and Kinect motion, vocal, and form recognition. Inexplicably, both machines were, and still are, met with hostility for not being stronger carbon-copies of things we've been playing for thirty years, of predecessors relevant to their time.

Only, that is not relevant now.

By stripping away the so-called "useless gimmicks" (by the cynics) or the "unique hardware, mechanics and inputs relevant to keeping these games consoles viable", you are in fact, removing their identities as games consoles - that is, a console devoted to offering you unique videogame experiences that cannot be accessed on another device in your home.

Quite why anyone rejoices over what is effectively castrating the current generation into a selection of inferior PC Lite machines is beyond me.

Call them gimmicks, call them silly, but without uniqueness, underutilized, underappreciated or otherwise - without our Wii U Gamepads, our Kinects - the relevance of "Games Consoles" becomes questionable. Not everyone might appreciate a flying jet audi, but when you cut off it's wings in order to sell it as a regular audi in a Porsche garage...
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2Joe_ArpaioPosted 5/13/2014 11:28:33 AM
ps4 is on pace to outsell ps2. The only stagnation going on is in Washington State.
#3-FryShakeWad-Posted 5/13/2014 11:29:21 AM
Another great post by sig I can fully support. I love the Kinect and was looking forward to all the future support that may not happen now. DC 4 and Fantasia music evolved are just 2 of the many Kinect games I'm excited about.
---
The spirit of The Ultimate Warrior will run forever! - James Brian Hellwig (R.I.P)
XBL: FryShakeWad PSN: fryshakewad
#4TheMuffinPosted 5/13/2014 11:31:08 AM
I just love this topic after your long ass rant yesterday Sigma.
---
MonicasBack ~This is an interesting topic, I could imagine my mom or someone else who has zero knowledge of games making it.
#5LEGEND_KILLERRRPosted 5/13/2014 11:33:30 AM
TheMuffin posted...
I just love this topic after your long ass rant yesterday Sigma.

THIS!!!!! LOL FANBOY
---
XBO/PSN- RPGFan1985 - most hyped for Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, NHL 15, Dragon Age, Quantum Break, Murder soul suspect,Batman Arkham Knight,The Evil Within
#6Garage_ManPosted 5/13/2014 11:33:38 AM
I don't have a x1 but honestly all x1 owners should feel some for MS. They just dumped the differentiating feature they wanted you all to have. Honestly this is why I hate MS. They bsckpedal on EVERYTHING. It's so dumb, it's why I avoid their things at all costs because in a year or two it will be different anyways.
#7aszsithPosted 5/13/2014 11:33:39 AM
Essentially what the market is telling the companies is that consumers are ready for a single-console market free from the constraints of healthy competition.

Honestly, I find this to be a troubling sign of things to come.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#8Apex-PlayerPosted 5/13/2014 11:33:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9SparkItUpPosted 5/13/2014 11:41:48 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
To those who like it concise: Games consoles are machines rapidly losing unique relevance in a world where high-quality gaming can be accessed almost anywhere. By removing unique features and hardware from the machine, you are removing a facet distinguishing it from something other than "a souped up iPad" or "a poor man's PC".

To those that favour depth:. In addition to what I already wrote, I see this as a foreshadowing to yet another stagnation of game design and content.

This is because, for some bizarre reason, people forget that this is not the eighties or nineties, where consoles can sell solely on the merits of hardware power alone. Hell, even the Xbox 360 was on the cusp back in 2006, where PCs with similar specifications would cost almost the same. Originally, consoles were designed to reproduce arcades within the home, offering gaming experiences otherwise unthinkable in a domestic surrounding.

Nintendo pre-empted the futile power-struggle with Wii, and though it garnered some hatred and hit-or-miss technological success, at the time it wasrelevant as a console, because, as consoles are designed to do, it allowed you to play games in a way no other device in your home possibly could.

Fast-forward to current generation and the choices made were all very well-founded; the Wii U's hardware makes it effectively the first home console Nintendo DS, which is a marketer's dream; sadly, the marketing team took the generation off. Then there's the Xbox One, which opted to try out persistently evolving, always online game worlds, even in single-player; a solid, download-only drive, and Kinect motion, vocal, and form recognition. Inexplicably, both machines were, and still are, met with hostility for not being stronger carbon-copies of things we've been playing for thirty years, of predecessors relevant to their time.

Only, that is not relevant now.

By stripping away the so-called "useless gimmicks" (by the cynics) or the "unique hardware, mechanics and inputs relevant to keeping these games consoles viable", you are in fact, removing their identities as games consoles - that is, a console devoted to offering you unique videogame experiences that cannot be accessed on another device in your home.

Quite why anyone rejoices over what is effectively castrating the current generation into a selection of inferior PC Lite machines is beyond me.

Hold on their Cochise...Both consoles will be available..one for those that don't want Kinect and one for those that do. I am expecting a flood of Kinect units to start hitting places such as Gamestop though now that people finally realize that it isn't going to be as integral to the console as it previously was led on to believe it would be.

I also see a drastic change to the UI coming because they aren't going to have a separate UI for those that have Kinect and those that do not. And with this move with a Kinectless console, they are essentially throwing in the towel as far as Kinect support is concerned because they are going to have to cater to a whole new type of customer. Essentially those that enjoy Kinect and what it does, are going to get left behind as far as actual support. As much as I want a Kinectless console, it's a shame to see the early adopters (particularly those that embraced Kinect) get the shaft like they are going to.
#10Laylow12Posted 5/13/2014 11:43:19 AM
TC, I'd agree with your opinion if Microsoft actually made great games for KINECT 2.0 and didn't do a press conference at an advertising convention about how KINECT 2.0 would be great for recording users audio and video reactions to advertisements and offer to sell that data to third parties for corporate enrichment.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin