I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.

#11GeistPosted 5/13/2014 10:45:33 AM
Your first problem is taking anything about a toy personally.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#12SparkItUpPosted 5/13/2014 10:46:36 AM
Garage_Man posted...
I don't have a x1 but honestly all x1 owners should feel some for MS. They just dumped the differentiating feature they wanted you all to have. Honestly this is why , it's why I avoid their things at all costsI hate MS. They bsckpedal on EVERYTHING. It's so dumb because in a year or two it will be different anyways.

I agree & disagree. As I said in my previous post, I am embracing the Kinectless console simply because it is what I wanted to see at the reveal...not the (the way I perceive it) abomination we got. I do however feel badly for those that really did embrace the Kinect. This move is really not fair to them in the least because this is essentially Microsoft saying "no mas, no mas" and Kinect support is going to drastically cut in order to cater to the new market that Microsoft is specifically targeting with the Kinectless console. I am expecting everything from a new UI all the way to much less emphasis on Kinect with games (developers are going to see the drawing on the wall as well)...and again, it just is not fair to those that embraced the console because of Kinect and its features.
#13darkshadowmasterPosted 5/13/2014 10:53:48 AM
TBH I am as well.

I was looking forward to seeing what they could do since it's 100% part of the system.

Now more than likely devs will once again ignore it because they're aren't going to spend time/money developing/programming features for a device that may or may not be attached to the system.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#14Tajaz2426Posted 5/13/2014 10:53:56 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
To those who like it concise: Games consoles are machines rapidly losing unique relevance in a world where high-quality gaming can be accessed almost anywhere. By removing unique features and hardware from the machine, you are removing a facet distinguishing it from something other than "a souped up iPad" or "a poor man's PC".

To those that favour depth:. In

This is because, for some bizarre reason, people forget that this is not the eighties or nineties, where consoles can sell solely on the merits of hardware power alone. Hell, even the Xbox 360 was on the cusp back in 2006, where PCs with similar specifications would cost almost the same. Originally, consoles were designed to reproduce arcades within the home, offering gaming experiences otherwise unthinkable in a domestic surrounding.

Nintendo pre-empted the futile power-struggle with Wii, and though it garnered some hatred and hit-or-miss technological success, at the time it wasrelevant as a console, because, as consoles are designed to do, it allowed you to play games in a way no other device in your home possibly could.

Fast-forward to current generation and the choices made were all very well-founded; the Wii U's hardware makes it effectively the first home console Nintendo DS, which is a marketer's dream; sadly, the marketing team took the generation off. Then there's the Xbox One, which opted to try out persistently evolving, always online game worlds, even in single-player; a solid, download-only drive, and Kinect motion, vocal, and form recognition. Inexplicably, both machines were, and still are, met with hostility for not being stronger carbon-copies of things we've been playing for thirty years, of predecessors relevant to their time.

Only, that is not relevant now.

By stripping away the so-called "useless gimmicks" (by the cynics) or the "unique hardware, mechanics and inputs relevant to keeping these games consoles viable", you are in fact, removing their identities as games consoles - that is, a console devoted to offering you unique videogame experiences that cannot be accessed on another device in your home.

Quite why anyone rejoices over what is effectively castrating the current generation into a selection of inferior PC Lite machines is beyond me.

Call them gimmicks, call them silly, but without uniqueness, underutilized, underappreciated or otherwise - without our Wii U Gamepads, our Kinects - the relevance of "Games Consoles" becomes questionable. Not everyone might appreciate a flying jet audi, but when you cut off it's wings in order to sell it as a regular audi in a Porsche garage...

I personally believe that it will hurt XBox in the long run. It has nothing that sets it apart from the PS4 now. Can you do voice commands through a microphone, like the PS4? If not, those folks who choose to have no connect have to maneuver through a UI built for the Kinect( if I'm wrong in these assumptions, please correct me).

Being the underpowered console, using it as a good gaming machine and an all around media player is what it had going for it. Now without the Kinect, you have a machine that has a hard as of now and I stress "as of now" hitting too resolution(whether you care for it or not, the media does), which is going to bring the question of "why should I buy this when the PS4 is stronger, the UI is built for a controller, I can still do voice commands" and so forth.

Only time will tell, what is going to happen. I will be purchasing with Kinect when Halo arrives, so I can say " Netflix, Supernatural"!
---
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, PotUS
#15TheMuffinPosted 5/13/2014 10:55:51 AM
aszsith posted...
Essentially what the market is telling the companies is that consumers are ready for a single-console market free from the constraints of healthy competition.

Honestly, I find this to be a troubling sign of things to come.

No. What they're saying and have been all along is that the quality of the exclusive games for our GAME CONSOLES should be what drive the competition. Not what peripheral gets packed in.
---
MonicasBack ~This is an interesting topic, I could imagine my mom or someone else who has zero knowledge of games making it.
#16aszsithPosted 5/13/2014 11:06:46 AM
TheMuffin posted...
aszsith posted...
Essentially what the market is telling the companies is that consumers are ready for a single-console market free from the constraints of healthy competition.

No. What they're saying and have been all along is that the quality of the exclusive games for our GAME CONSOLES should be what drive the competition. Not what peripheral gets packed in.

No. What consumers have been saying is they don't want innovation. They just want the same thing over and over with marginal performance upgrades. That people are applauding Microsoft for turning the XBOne into the PS4-lite is evidence of that.

Look at what happened with Kinect. Imagine where the industry will go with that kind of mentality. The VR headsets? You really think the market that denied Kinect will embrace helmets? This is just another sign that innovation in gaming is dying. And it isn't because there aren't creative, innovative people creating games, it is because the vocal Internet hates everything and the companies are catering to the whims of the mob.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#17TBONE_OGPosted 5/13/2014 11:12:59 AM
MS is still in favor of Kinect and will still support it -- it's one of their focuses. They're not going to revamp the UI to be more "Kinectless" friendly.

MS has a new approach with Kinect. They want to sell you on it now -- not just make you buy it.

All this is is an option for the consumer to get a cheaper console. Some people really do just want to turn the Xbox on and play a game. That's it.
---
Always O.G.
#18trenkenPosted 5/13/2014 11:14:41 AM
Garage_Man posted...
I don't have a x1 but honestly all x1 owners should feel some for MS. They just dumped the differentiating feature they wanted you all to have. Honestly this is why I hate MS. They bsckpedal on EVERYTHING. It's so dumb, it's why I avoid their things at all costs because in a year or two it will be different anyways.

Um, its not really back pedaling when they arent replacing the current console, this is an alternative model, genius.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#19gumbyxcore99Posted 5/13/2014 11:15:23 AM
neither the wii u gamepad or the kinect are truly innovative.
nothing exists to justify their added costs.

nintendo could have came out at 239$ with the classic controller and a real hard drive and probably moved units profitably on the promise of first party exclusives alone.

the wii u gamepad is a huge ugly monstrosity with no real value, aside from the screen mirroring functionality. 18 months in and nothing exists that justifies it's existence oor its part in inflating the wii u's price tag.

i never paid much attention to the kinect for xbox 360 but as far as i know there weren't any games that really made it a must-have accessory. developers had 3 years to create something truly unique with it and failed.

it boggles my mind that microsoft pushed the technology so hard. clearly designed to compete with the wii's motion controls, they ignored everything about the wii's trajectory that would have indicated that it was a waste of time.

the motion controls were really innovative at the time, i can't think of any experience in gaming that really wowed me the way playing exite truck and wii sports for the first time did. but the novelty wore off , quickly.

people are not going to support these's companies' hubris. if you want people to buy your gamepads and kinects, and whatever else, create something that makes them essential, don't force them on people by bundling them in with your hardware.

why do you think sony is selling so many ps4s? its not just because of the price and power of the hardware. sony is all about choice this generation. you want remote play? buy a vita. you want camera based motion gaming? buy a playstation eye. if you don't want those things, you don't have to buy them, and don't have to spend money you didn't want to and end up with a bunch of extra junk you'll never use.

sony learned already from the last generation. its kind of sad that nintendo and microsoft couldn't learn from their mistakes.

all people are going to want is more powerful versions of what they already have until somebody invents something that is truly innovative and changes the landscape. kinect and the gamepad are not it.
---
http://ovalteam.tumblr.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoj0xJsdO7U
#20SparkItUpPosted 5/13/2014 11:19:18 AM(edited)
aszsith posted...
TheMuffin posted...
aszsith posted...

No. What consumers have been saying is they don't want innovation. They just want the same thing over and over with marginal performance upgrades. That people are applauding Microsoft for turning the XBOne into the PS4-lite is evidence of that.

Look at what happened with Kinect. Imagine where the industry will go with that kind of mentality. The VR headsets? You really think the market that denied Kinect will embrace helmets? This is just another sign that innovation in gaming is dying. And it isn't because there aren't creative, innovative people creating games, it is because the vocal Internet hates everything and the companies are catering to the whims of the mob.

I agree & disagree with you here. I don't think customers rejected innovation, they rejected this kind of innovation. I agree however wholeheartedly that VR will face the same backlash.

Imagine what kind of console Microsoft would have, if they invested all that R&D & manufacture costs of both Kinect & Kinect 2.0, into providing a superior console. It was clear last gen that Kinect was being rejected...yet they still kept trying to push it.

trenken posted...
Garage_Man posted...
I don't have a x1 but honestly all x1 owners should feel some for MS. They just dumped the differentiating feature they wanted you all to have. Honestly this is why I hate MS. They bsckpedal on EVERYTHING. It's so dumb, it's why I avoid their things at all costs because in a year or two it will be different anyways.

Um, its not really back pedaling when they arent replacing the current console, this is an alternative model, genius.

Not sure if serious..

I do welcome this change, but this is probably the most costly 180 they have done with the console thus far. Do you realize how many contracts just got ripped up regarding advertising, applications, development, etc? Can you even fathom how much revenue this change is costing Microsoft?