I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.

#21scoobydoobydontPosted 5/13/2014 12:18:37 PM
Agree 100% with TC.
---
http://i.imgur.com/MBPlg7Z.jpg
#22gumbyxcore99Posted 5/13/2014 12:19:54 PM
if vr is interesting enough, people will embrace it. kinect clearly isn't
---
http://ovalteam.tumblr.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoj0xJsdO7U
#23SparkItUpPosted 5/13/2014 12:20:14 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Agree 100% with TC.

I love your sig
#24SparkItUpPosted 5/13/2014 12:21:36 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...

People are not going to want to "exercise" when they play a game, let alone have to wear a helmet to do so. This concept has been tried in various forms. It simply is not something people want when they are trying to relax.
#25scoobydoobydontPosted 5/13/2014 12:23:00 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...

VR will be even more niche than Kinect 1 was.
---
http://i.imgur.com/MBPlg7Z.jpg
#26VenomscarnagePosted 5/13/2014 12:23:30 PM
The Kinect is just another gimmick and much like this VR headset is something we don't need which is video games becoming too gimmicky.

Keep it simple yet make the improvements somewhere else.
---
I remember a time when whether you owned a Sega Genesis or a Super Nintendo everyone was a gamer and we all just got along.
#27EvVv3Posted 5/13/2014 12:28:34 PM
Majority of the developers just had a party hearing this. They'll be like " **** this, we are not going to waste anymore time and money on kinect features" But the real shame is for the developers who couldve came up with a truly innovative Kinect title which appears very unlikely now
---
<('-'<) ^( '-' )^ <( '-' )> ^( '-' )^ (>'-')>
#28TheMuffinPosted 5/13/2014 12:37:51 PM
aszsith posted...
TheMuffin posted...
aszsith posted...
Essentially what the market is telling the companies is that consumers are ready for a single-console market free from the constraints of healthy competition.

Honestly, I find this to be a troubling sign of things to come.

No. What they're saying and have been all along is that the quality of the exclusive games for our GAME CONSOLES should be what drive the competition. Not what peripheral gets packed in.

No. What consumers have been saying is they don't want innovation. They just want the same thing over and over with marginal performance upgrades. That people are applauding Microsoft for turning the XBOne into the PS4-lite is evidence of that.

Look at what happened with Kinect. Imagine where the industry will go with that kind of mentality. The VR headsets? You really think the market that denied Kinect will embrace helmets? This is just another sign that innovation in gaming is dying. And it isn't because there aren't creative, innovative people creating games, it is because the vocal Internet hates everything and the companies are catering to the whims of the mob.

Consumers have been saying they have been okay with enhanced graphics and using a controller since the late 1970's. The majority have never wanted innovation in their consoles dude. They just wanted something that was prettier than the last version.

As for VR. That's a completely different thing from a camera used for voice commands. The Oculus right from the start showed what could be done from a gaming perspective to enhance your immersion into your games. It's a proven piece of tech and it wasn't even out of beta testing. The Kinect however was a complete failure in it's first incarnation, adding zero functionality to games that couldn't be done as fast or faster with a controller and outside of dance central was completely worthless. The new version looked and looks to continue this trend. Devs had to know it was being included and therefore had dev kits for it before the One was ever launched. What did we get from this extra development time as well as having the original to use as a basis? Nothing. Some simple voice commands and another Kinect Sports that tracks similarly to the original game.

There was nothing innovative about the Kinect from a gaming standpoint and the lack of actual useful support and implementation in exclusive games like SO just proves that devs can't find a good way to use the thing.

If MS wants to innovate with a peripheral they need to think of something that could actually enhance and immerse a person in their game. Not an advertising aide that happens to accept voice commands.
---
MonicasBack ~This is an interesting topic, I could imagine my mom or someone else who has zero knowledge of games making it.
#29SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 12:42:47 PM
I understand what a great deal of you have mentioned regarding the Kinect still being supported, but in the current instance, Microsoft has effectively doomed Kinect 2.0 to the same fate as the original; an optional device that hasn't yet fully proven itself.

"Trojan Horsing" is a tactic used a lot in current products; the act of adding another product into the consumer's actual purchase to expose them to a commodity they would otherwise not look twice at. If you remember far back enough, the original joypad was just one of these initial "Trojan Gimmicks"; up until then we used toggles, paddles, knobs and joysticks (fnarr fnarr). Nintendo's NES packed in the Zapper , and Lylat Wars the Rumble Pak, because they were unsure if people would understand how it worked, if not by showing them first-hand, or if people would look twice at them as an optional device.

But alas, this will be, once more, an optional peripheral with limited install base and difficult proof-of-concept that nobody thinks they want or like... due to preconceptions and ill-contrived notions.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#30TheMuffinPosted 5/13/2014 12:49:32 PM
But Sigma, those packed in items actually had a use for the games right out of the damned box. I know you like the thing, but you have to admit that MS should have had at least some proven improvement to games using the thing by now and they simply don't. Not to mention that the light gun was relatively useless outside of Duck Hunt.
---
MonicasBack ~This is an interesting topic, I could imagine my mom or someone else who has zero knowledge of games making it.