I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.

#31SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 12:31:51 PM
TheMuffin posted...
But Sigma, those packed in items actually had a use for the games right out of the damned box. I know you like the thing, but you have to admit that MS should have had at least some proven improvement to games using the thing by now and they simply don't. Not to mention that the light gun was relatively useless outside of Duck Hunt.

And I agree that proof of concept should have been a day one thing, even a token "look what this does!", not just a "look what it CAN or COULD do!"

Hell, I've said it for years now - just break the marketing that it's all sports and dance central for Kinect and add in tiny, meaningful additions to core games. Like opening or smashing down doors by, pad still in hand, thrusting forward. Breaking necks by stealthing behind a dude, grabbing them and making a satisfying twisty motion. Even force-grabbing projectiles by defensively raising a hand in a first-person Star Wars game... You know, traditionally controlled, but with the Force being your magical Kinect stuff. Best of both worlds.

What I'm saying now is, mateybubbles, by breaking the sky this can't even be a possibility any longer. The market is splintered, and only a few developers take punts on splintered niches these days.

Shame really.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#32regsantotomasPosted 5/13/2014 12:34:24 PM
I am disappointed from the standpoint of potential impact on non-gaming functionality of the Kinect with regards to apps rather than games.

Yeah, I know most people here don't care about such functionality.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#33Run_2_the_HillsPosted 5/13/2014 12:44:49 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...

people are not going to support these's companies' hubris. if you want people to buy your gamepads and kinects, and whatever else, create something that makes them essential, don't force them on people by bundling them in with your hardware.

This is where MS went wrong. They showed what it could do, but didn't deliver anything at launch so it was just a near useful hardware that was tact on.
#34gumbyxcore99Posted 5/13/2014 12:48:35 PM
i unplugged my kinect after a week and never looked back
---
http://ovalteam.tumblr.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoj0xJsdO7U
#35LoveSheepPosted 5/13/2014 12:49:07 PM
The Kinect did not recognize my voice well. The hardware was not ready.
---
Still no to Xbox ONE Hard Drive is too small and can't be upgraded or replaced!
Kinect RIP 2010 - 2014
#36ImThe8thWonderPosted 5/13/2014 12:51:59 PM
*sigh*

I've said this a billion times before, I'll say it again. Useless motion/voice gimmicks =/= innovation. What kinect offers is a SHALLOW addition to gaming. It's technically a controller button coated in a more complex action command. That doesn't improve gaming, especially when it's not even more practical than a controller. It's a waste of money and effort.
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
Not everyone with a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.
#37SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 1:06:02 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
*sigh*

I've said this a billion times before, I'll say it again. Useless motion/voice gimmicks =/= innovation. What kinect offers is a SHALLOW addition to gaming. It's technically a controller button coated in a more complex action command. That doesn't improve gaming, especially when it's not even more practical than a controller. It's a waste of money and effort.

Then you're not imagining hard enough! Consider the simplest of issues we currently just "put up with". QTEs. They exist as a dramatic reflexive action to a cinematic event occurring beyond the capabilities of standard gameplay, right? They're only "useless" because I have to mash the A button as a response to a German Shepherd eating my throat, an arbitrary command. Why not actually chuck the sod off you? Throw your still-pad-holding hands up, reacting to the action on-screen, and you have tossed the brute with a tossing motion. Voila, an annoying gameplay trope, and a more practical, relevant immersive solution. You didn't mash to escape. You just... escaped.

Or in a motorway gunfight. You're in a heated pursuit but DAMN! They've shot at your windshield and cracked it, obscuring your view! Keep driving the car with the pad, but knock that bloody glass out of the frame by hitting forward, will you?

I'm not saying it solves all the issues, I'm just saying there are a lot of silly wee things still in games we assume HAVE to be done with trite, canned actions and immersion-breaking buttoning where the shrug of a shoulder would work perfectly.
---
#38LazyyAmericanPosted 5/13/2014 1:11:03 PM
Lack of competition? What...the....****.....what has been driving the industry for the past twenty five years then? Why does it suddenly all have to switch to multimedia and gimmicky voice commands to suddenly allow a competitive marketplace? This console can still compete by games....it's what the 360 did why can't this one? Not everything has to be a ****** iPad or some garbage app games.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#39SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 1:35:51 PM
LazyyAmerican posted...
Lack of competition? What...the....****.....what has been driving the industry for the past twenty five years then? Why does it suddenly all have to switch to multimedia and gimmicky voice commands to suddenly allow a competitive marketplace? This console can still compete by games....it's what the 360 did why can't this one? Not everything has to be a ****** iPad or some garbage app games.

I'm going to assume you disregarded the majority of posts thus far.

Consoles have been relevant up until perhaps half a decade ago, based on hardware producing gaming experiences unique solely to said consoles.

However, now technological horsepower isn't enough to distinguish consoles as worthwhile, as PC gaming (and in a short while, even mobile and tablet gaming) surpass the static games consoles.

By neutering any probable or possible uniqueness in the hardware not tied solely to the amount of jiggablops the processor has, you are removing the last things consoles outright boast over said PC and alternate gaming markets.
---
#40ILikesCheesePosted 5/13/2014 1:40:00 PM
I've been saying for months that a $400 Kinect-less Xbox would be available by or at the start of E3.

I'm going to have to post "TOLD YA SO!" in a lot of threads today.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?