I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.
1 year ago#61
Well they said that they just have a hard time of showing what the Kinect is capable of and that it's something that people do enjoy if they just give it a chance. The Kinect 1 did not "reach it's full potential" because the devs did not integrate it in their games enough, not because the device itself is not really useful for gaming etc. I don't know how much they spent on Kinect development but they should have perhaps also made a must-have game for it.
---
pathological
1 year ago#62
Desperate MS's freaking hilarious. Keep it up, MS! :DD
---
18735 XBL Gamerscores | 49 PSN Platinums - Level 26 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
1 year ago#63
Ramsus082 posted...

Quite why anyone rejoices over what is effectively castrating the current generation into a selection of inferior PC Lite machines is beyond me.

What if what consumers actually wanted from the beginning was a PC lite machine? A device they can play games on without the fuss of building/upgrading/maintaining a PC? That seems to me what the industry has spoken up for with their wallets.

What if your version, TC, of an evolving console market included buying and using a peripheral for gaming that was in no-way fun for many, many consumers to utilize? Is it really "castrating" the generation by not making them pay for and use a device that they didn't want in the first place? Or are they stifling innovation and evolution by refusing to buy it?

But my past few posts have illustrated how small adoptions of such a device not only enhance current gameplay, but also remove or lessen some of the more arbitrary console tropes we've grown to just deal with, or take for granted.

You might SAY you like mashing B when you're being attacked by a xenomorph, having to run back to a comrade to press a context-sensitive button to get them to follow, or having to use the right stick to look around the cockpit of your Forza car or Titanfall mech.

But why not keep your standard controller for core gameplay, but add a "shove" for the xenomorph? Add a vocal "stay" and "follow me" command for sodding Ashley Williams? Just... Looking around the cockpit to look around the cockpit?!

"It's useless" is a Luddite complaint by people already in "100% No Way!" mode from the start. Ironically I personally know two of these people, who have never even TRIED a Kinect save for Dance Central on X360 at a party, and decided then and there the entire potential of the tech.

Proof of concept was limited only to designers with a unified SKU, with Kinect packed in. Now, it's not just facing that, but the far greater hurdle of investor backing and smaller market base; two things that are rarely happy bedfellows.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
1 year ago#64
RaRitsujun posted...
Desperate MS's freaking hilarious. Keep it up, MS! :DD

Stay on topic/ stop being smarmily antagonistic in every topic on this board, if you would.
---
1 year ago#65
Im with ya on this one sigma. I still dont know what to think yet, but initially I am dissapointed.
1 year ago#66
Featherwind posted...
Well they said that they just have a hard time of showing what the Kinect is capable of and that it's something that people do enjoy if they just give it a chance. The Kinect 1 did not "reach it's full potential" because the devs did not integrate it in their games enough, not because the device itself is not really useful for gaming etc. I don't know how much they spent on Kinect development but they should have perhaps also made a must-have game for it.

This is why I agree that a more persuasive initial display of Kinect functionality would've been a far better idea for the progression of the brand.

Perhaps even an incentive program for developers willing to showcase Kinect proof of concept (by means of unique gameplay features) by Microsoft itself.
---
1 year ago#67
I enjoy your topics and posts, Sigma.

However on this one I completely disagree. Good riddance to the mandatory inclusion of Kinect. If people want it, now it's an option and that's what it should have been all along.
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: Destiny, No Man's Sky, Rogue Legacy, The Witness
1 year ago#68
The smarmy pretentious nature of every Sigma post always makes me nauseous.

Waggle wands, Tablet Controllers and Hit-n-Miss voice control aren't the future. Your post is self defeating anyway. If, as you say, high quality gaming is becoming accessible everywhere (and it is), then game design cannot stagnate, as distribution becomes equally accessible everywhere.

The console model (closed system) is dying though. Good riddance.
---
INTEL 533MHZ PIII 512k/133, ALL-IN-Wonder 128 Pro AGP, 128MB SDRAM, Sound Blaster 32AWE, 47GB Elite SCSI, Win98
1 year ago#69
In my opinion, if MS had went with GDDR5 memory and released a beast of a machine akin to the original Xbox, no one would have batted an eye at paying $499 for the machine and Kinect.

This is coming from a guy who has been with Xbox since 2002!

Everyone's gripe stems from the choice to use DDR3 memory.

I just want to see awesome games come out for the X1, and am still intrigued with what applications Kinect can be utilized in the future.
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
1 year ago#70
SigmaLongshot posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...
*sigh*

I've said this a billion times before, I'll say it again. Useless motion/voice gimmicks =/= innovation. What kinect offers is a SHALLOW addition to gaming. It's technically a controller button coated in a more complex action command. That doesn't improve gaming, especially when it's not even more practical than a controller. It's a waste of money and effort.

Then you're not imagining hard enough! Consider the simplest of issues we currently just "put up with". QTEs. They exist as a dramatic reflexive action to a cinematic event occurring beyond the capabilities of standard gameplay, right? They're only "useless" because I have to mash the A button as a response to a German Shepherd eating my throat, an arbitrary command. Why not actually chuck the sod off you? Throw your still-pad-holding hands up, reacting to the action on-screen, and you have tossed the brute with a tossing motion. Voila, an annoying gameplay trope, and a more practical, relevant immersive solution. You didn't mash to escape. You just... escaped.

Or in a motorway gunfight. You're in a heated pursuit but DAMN! They've shot at your windshield and cracked it, obscuring your view! Keep driving the car with the pad, but knock that bloody glass out of the frame by hitting forward, will you?

I'm not saying it solves all the issues, I'm just saying there are a lot of silly wee things still in games we assume HAVE to be done with trite, canned actions and immersion-breaking buttoning where the shrug of a shoulder would work perfectly.

Exactly I love leaning in bf4 and looking in forza 5 instead of using buttons. Don't forget Xbox one still has the impulse rumble triggers :D and on the bright side the kinect still exist it's just and option now if anything they will show off a game it'll look amazing and at the end it'll say only on kinect lol and people will buy it.
---
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. I'm personally a little disappointed and disheartened by this Kinect removal.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived