Forbes: "Consumers are stiflying innovation"

#1MrImpatient35Posted 5/14/2014 7:32:03 AM
This article echoes why I thought removing Kinect was a bad idea: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/13/premature-celebration-heres-why-a-kinect-free-xbox-one-is-terrible-news/

Don’t misunderstand me: I believe removing the bundled requirement of Kinect will result in a huge surge of sales momentum for Microsoft, and an influx of happy Xbox One gamers. What concerns me most is how we, as collective consumers, are stifling innovation (concerns me as well)

Consider that Sony had to basically lie to millions of people about the true purpose of the lightbar in their DualShock 4 controller. If the masses would have known from the beginning that it was meant for VR, I can imagine the outcry would have been about as vocal and aggressive as when Microsoft announced that its Kinect 2.o would now be mandatory.

We’re afraid of new things. We just want our sequels (CoD anyone) and our comfortable, familiar, controller-driven experiences.

...I’m worried that this move by Microsoft will stifle any possible innovation or development on the Kinect side of things. Developers won’t be compelled to forge new paths with Kinect on the gameplay side of things. App programmers may not be convinced to develop voice controls for their upcoming Xbox One software…
---
FML
#2XtremeWRATH360Posted 5/14/2014 7:34:55 AM
We're not afraid of new things we just don't want to be forced to spend more money for something we didn't have a say in whether we wanted or not. All MS had to do from day is offer two different skus and market Kinect in a way that made it impossible not to want it. MS had no idea how to market the Kinect or push as you can clearly see and because of that they had to ensure its inclusion in every console so it wouldn't backfire on them which it did anyway. Just alot of poor planning on MSs end
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#3EllesarienPosted 5/14/2014 7:35:54 AM
Couldn't agree more. This is a negative for both the gaming industry and technology. Gamers are clueless.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#4dnmtPosted 5/14/2014 7:37:12 AM
When in doubt, blame the consumer. That always works out.
#5ScRuiPosted 5/14/2014 7:38:42 AM
Has anyone ever heard of this saying?

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE, UNTIL YOU LOSE IT"

We will see in the next few years through next generation of consoles what these 'gamers' want...
---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>
#6nableetPosted 5/14/2014 7:40:02 AM
The sony light bar is in no way comparable to the Kinect. There have been calls since the controller came out to allow it to be "turned off", which should be an option. Sony didn't tell people the reason because they weren't ready to announce their VR stuff.... Completely different kettle of fish.

Also, I'd rather have no motion "innovation" in my games. So consider me happy to stifle..
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#7CrysianiaPosted 5/14/2014 7:40:40 AM
Plenty of companies have had bad ideas that they call "innovation".

I call them bad ideas.
#8da_StoOgePosted 5/14/2014 7:41:46 AM
Kinect has been out for years now. You'd think that there would have been one, ONE single game out by now that proves it can be used for anything other than dance and fitness games.

There hasn't and the reason is because the device itself is flawed. That's not the consumers fault.
---
Being modded without reason since 2035.
#9MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2014 7:42:08 AM
Ellesarien posted...
Couldn't agree more. This is a negative for both the gaming industry and technology. Gamers are clueless.

*sigh* I might just quit gaming. Now it's just the same s***. Nothing new. Just "controller based games". At least VR is new, but consumers don't like change, so I doubt that will take off.
---
FML
#10Reflex-ArcPosted 5/14/2014 7:42:25 AM
Many of us on these boards have been saying this all along, but people only hear what they want to.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard