Forbes: "Consumers are stiflying innovation"

#151R_HunterPosted 5/14/2014 10:39:00 AM
Ok, just checking.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#152Ramsus082Posted 5/14/2014 10:44:34 AM(edited)

What about Sony suggesting games are better in 1080p?

I don't understand. Are games better experiences with lower resolutions?

1080p does nothing to make a game more fun for me. I'll take PvZ:GW in 900p on X1 over anything X1 or PS4 has to offer in 1080p.

Would you take PvZ: GW in 1080p on the X1 or 900p if given the option? If it's the former, you're acknowledging that better resolution/graphics enhance the game. If you're taking issue with the fact that it's a hypothetical since there's no 1080p version, you'd be purposely missing the point.
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You
#153MarikhenPosted 5/14/2014 10:45:51 AM
Personally, while I dislike change, outside of the major issues such as money and housing I don't fear change. In this case, however, I feel that fear of change is actually somewhat justified.

With the X-Box One and the Kinect we have a situation where Microsoft is including, at a $100 cost to the consumer, a peripheral that is capable of full aural and visual monitoring of a minimum of one room in your household. Depending on the sensitivity of the audio receivers it could potentially monitor a sizable portion of your entire house. When you combine this with the previously always-on-cannot-be-turned-off nature of the Kinect this was a major potential privacy violation waiting to happen. This is on top of the legitimate concerns over Microsoft (ab)using the device in order to forcibly charge people more money on "licensing fees" if they have too many viewers in the room.

Speaking solely for myself while I applaud developers producing new ways of interacting with our gaming platforms I believe it is unconscionably stupid to shove such a device down our throats, tell us, even if only initially, that it will be used to spy on us and charge us higher costs for our entertainment, make it always-on-cannot-be-unused, and then expect us to pay an additional $100 premium for that "privilege."

Wholesale rejection of the Kinect might hurt innovation in the video game industry, but charging consumers to have it forced upon them hurt the industry worse.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#154Kerr AvonPosted 5/14/2014 10:52:08 AM
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
We're not afraid of new things we just don't want to be forced to spend more money for something we didn't have a say in whether we wanted or not.

Exactly. And just because something is new, does not mean that it's necessarily innovative, or good for the consumer.

And me personally, I just don't like any sort of motion controls, be they Wii-mote or Kinnect. I'm more than happy with a good joypad.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#155darkphoenix181Posted 5/14/2014 10:55:12 AM
innovation comes through academia

not consumer products

this article is stupid
#156Ramsus082Posted 5/14/2014 10:55:33 AM
Look, I get it. Henry Ford once said"If I asked the people what they wanted, they would have told me 'faster horses'." We often need a guiding hand to get us to where we didn't even know we wanted to go, and end up getting surprised all the time when we get set in our ways. We don't know everything.

But we do know what's fun to engage with. And we got to experience the Kinect. It wasn't some abstract concept, plenty of people owned one and stll more people interacted with it. We had plenty of time to make good judgement about it. There just wasn't anything there, and that wasn't our fault.

So, what should have been the arbitrary time frame that we should have given them to start developing more worthwhile content? The TC puts it at 1-2 years, but I don't know if he's factoring in the Kinect 1.0 and the time developers had to do something more with it. So, how long should they have gotten to start fulfilling some of this untapped potential?
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You
#157ActionButlerPosted 5/14/2014 10:57:21 AM
Unless the Kinect 2.0 is massively better than the original, nothing of value has been lost. The voice commands are an interesting gimmick, but that's it, just a gimmick. The fitness games are fun for a little bit, but that's about it. Anyone serious about fitness will not be relying on a video game for their physical activity.

Ultimately, the Kinect is an interesting device that has some value as an add-on to video games. Nothing about it is solid enough to merit it being mandatory.
---
3DS FC - 0232-9323-9187
#158VideoGameBlitzPosted 5/14/2014 11:09:40 AM
Some of us just want to play games with a conroller, the way we always have, i dont want to jump around and wave my hands in front of the TV like im a 8 year old girl in dance class.

I dont want to put some funky 3D device on my head, i just want to come home from a hard day at work and play some controller driven games.

This is why retro gaming will always be the best.
---
i5 - HD 7870 - 8GB
#159-Oath-Posted 5/14/2014 11:13:17 AM
dnmt posted...
When in doubt, blame the consumer. That always works out.

Deal With It *
---
3DS FC: JMO 0834-1793-8249
#160DaMan1900Posted 5/14/2014 11:15:26 AM
the problem with kinect is that its an alpha stage product that was being forced onto consumers.

MS has not once shown that kinect is worth the extra money. i bought an XB1 used kinect 2 and the thing was trash. The xbox on command literally worked 10% of the time. Once on the thing worked 50% of the time and in the end its back in the box.

If companies want to innovate they cant half ass the product. In the case of kinect the technology isnt there yet and neither are the games....
---
Ex Sony Fanboy