Forbes: "Consumers are stiflying innovation"

#161TyrantLowKeyPosted 5/14/2014 10:16:41 AM
lol. No one told MS to do a kinectless version (atleast n the sense that they HAD to release it). Meh. I was behind MS last night when i heard the news, but since then it's kind of a meh approach.
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Heart Series, SMT: Noctrn, BD (3DS), ToS, ToGF, TotA, ToX, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#162El_ZaggyPosted 5/14/2014 10:19:27 AM
ITT: People think Kinect is new and innovative

Reality: Sony had a camera in the ps2 era.

ITT: People think gamers are afraid of new things

Reality: Gamers embrace new things when its useful or change the way you play the game. just look at the Wii, it was successful based only on the wii mote because it changed the whole way you play, Kinect so far is just a useless camera that you talk to because people arre too lazy to actually do things themselves.
#163iamdanthamanPosted 5/14/2014 10:20:17 AM
Viet0ne posted...
Microsoft themselves are the cause of the lack of innovation.

1. They force the Kinect in every Xbox One
2. They have no games at launch that show case the Kinect
3. They have no games even now that really showcase the new Kinect
(Kinect Sports Rivals is marginally better than 360 Kinect games)
4. There are no games that have been announced that use Kinect in any different way

If Microsoft wanted people to see the value in Kinect, they would have mandated that every Xbox One game have Kinect functionality at release like they do with achievements. This would have at least driven developers to come up with either tacked on Kinect features or possibly new and innovative features.

Consumers have been waiting since the Kinect was released in 2010 for the supposed innovation from the Kinect.

I love the kinect, but I agree 100% with this. If you are going to have it be required on every system, you better damn well have a good reason for it, and that means having games for it, and not just ones with tacked on functionality, and not just next gen upgrades of last gen titles. Actual innovative games that use kinect in different ways.

MS needs to face the reality that games need some sort of input device that does more than track movement. We need buttons if we are going to get real games for kinect, and that means some sort of move-like peripheral. It wouldn't need the light ball, just make a stripped down controller in a wand form with a trigger, bumper, one analog stick, and x,y,a,b buttons, and let it be used for input with kinect games.

I know they tried to avoid this to distinguish themselves with the whole "you are the controller" thing, but if they want shooters, action games, or any other real games that use kinect, that's what they are going to have to do.
---
All your base are belong to us
#164DarthVashtiPosted 5/14/2014 10:22:01 AM
I have said it many times before I play games to relax after being active. Why would I want to be active after being active?

If wanting to relax while playing games is stifling innovation than I am more than happy to stifle.
#165SupaflyGibsonPosted 5/14/2014 10:22:47 AM
XtremeWRATH360 posted...
We're not afraid of new things we just don't want to be forced to spend more money for something we didn't have a say in whether we wanted or not. All MS had to do from day is offer two different skus and market Kinect in a way that made it impossible not to want it. MS had no idea how to market the Kinect or push as you can clearly see and because of that they had to ensure its inclusion in every console so it wouldn't backfire on them which it did anyway. Just alot of poor planning on MSs end

Btw its MS' product, not yours.
---
gt: For Spartaa
#166SupaflyGibsonPosted 5/14/2014 10:24:28 AM
El_Zaggy posted...
ITT: People think Kinect is new and innovative

Reality: Sony had a camera in the ps2 era.

ITT: People think gamers are afraid of new things

Reality: Gamers embrace new things when its useful or change the way you play the game. just look at the Wii, it was successful based only on the wii mote because it changed the whole way you play, Kinect so far is just a useless camera that you talk to because people arre too lazy to actually do things themselves.

Have ever used a kinect? And lol comparing it to the ps2 eyetoy thing
---
#167SneakiestNegPosted 5/14/2014 10:25:20 AM
We all embrace new things ALL THE TIME. I remember when I picked up my first Persona game. I embraced blueray, netflix, utorrent. We are gamers for crying out loud. We are on the cutting edge! We are the ones who spend the money!
#168SupaflyGibsonPosted 5/14/2014 10:26:44 AM
dnmt posted...
When in doubt, blame the consumer. That always works out.

*When in doubt, blame MS. That always works out.
---
#169jellybeanmasterPosted 5/14/2014 10:31:12 AM
All i hear are complaints from people who dont even play games that much. A bunch of pseudo hardcore gamers that play maybe 90 minutes tops a day (if that). Who are they to have any say in what happens to the industry compared to the people playing 4-6+ hours a day. The hardcore have spoken and MS listened as they should have from the start. These casual gamers with voices want Kinect Sports Rival type games and Just Dance trash to flood the market. Give me an actual game! Test my reaction speed, my dexterity. Get your camera gimmicks out my games and give me a true gaming experience
---
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,
#170GoraishiPosted 5/14/2014 10:34:27 AM
da_StoOge posted...
Kinect has been out for years now. You'd think that there would have been one, ONE single game out by now that proves it can be used for anything other than dance and fitness games.

There hasn't and the reason is because the device itself is flawed. That's not the consumers fault.

While I'm not a fan of motion controlled gaming at all... what you're looking for is a AAA game proving how amazing something can be. That will never happen now because devs can't guarantee enough people will have a kinect to get the sales they need to generate a profit. They're making games to make money... they aren't making games to show the potential of a piece of hardware. If devs knew every single xbone had a kinect, then maybe we would see that eventually. However motion control systems as separate purchases likely will never get serious attention.