Forbes: "Consumers are stiflying innovation"

#171thegamer00Posted 5/14/2014 11:34:38 AM
sony is going bankrupt they have bigger problems to worry about like survival.
#172DmonHiroPosted 5/14/2014 11:37:36 AM
What the heck is so innovative about Kinect anyway?
#173Xero KaiserPosted 5/14/2014 11:40:20 AM
Sorry, when I'm playing a fighting game or a strategy game I need the precision a keyboard/controller can offer. Fussing with garbage, "innovative" motion controls and gimmicks isn't fun. At all.
#174superbowl54Posted 5/14/2014 11:41:57 AM
DmonHiro posted...

that's the hilarious thing about it, none of the defenders can even give ONE example.
---
360: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence; Steam: superbowl54
MS needs to patch out the uselessness called Kinect.
#175billsfanno1Posted 5/14/2014 11:42:53 AM
Ramsus082 posted...

What about Sony suggesting games are better in 1080p?

I don't understand. Are games better experiences with lower resolutions?

1080p does nothing to make a game more fun for me. I'll take PvZ:GW in 900p on X1 over anything X1 or PS4 has to offer in 1080p.

Would you take PvZ: GW in 1080p on the X1 or 900p if given the option? If it's the former, you're acknowledging that better resolution/graphics enhance the game. If you're taking issue with the fact that it's a hypothetical since there's no 1080p version, you'd be purposely missing the point.

Seems pretty simple to me. A fun game is a fun game, regardless of resolution. A crappy game at 1080p is still a crappy game. You can fight on, console warrior, but I'm sticking to simple logic here.
#176CarpetfluffPosted 5/14/2014 11:46:13 AM
They might be, but innovation helps no-one if no-one owns the thing that's innovating now does it?
#177billsfanno1Posted 5/14/2014 11:49:48 AM
jellybeanmaster posted...
All i hear are complaints from people who dont even play games that much. A bunch of pseudo hardcore gamers that play maybe 90 minutes tops a day (if that). Who are they to have any say in what happens to the industry compared to the people playing 4-6+ hours a day. The hardcore have spoken and MS listened as they should have from the start. These casual gamers with voices want Kinect Sports Rival type games and Just Dance trash to flood the market. Give me an actual game! Test my reaction speed, my dexterity. Get your camera gimmicks out my games and give me a true gaming experience

Most of the people I know who play videogames 4-6+ hours a day play COD or Minecraft, I really wouldn't hold them up as examples of pushing gaming innovation. Hardcore gamers are a niche, no console company would be profitable tailoring their content to them.
#178archlvtPosted 5/14/2014 11:51:00 AM
Innovation isn't as important as fun. If you're innovating something BAD, like kinect, then it isn't worth innovating. Innovation is only good when it's superior to convention. In this case, nobody can ever say that using kinect is better than using a controller.

The Nintendo DS on the other hand was innovative with dual screens (which ONLY enhanced the experience while taking nothing away), and the touch screen which, when implemented properly, also only enhanced the experience. Then, Nintendo took it a step too far and made a few games ENTIRELY reliant on the touch screen (Zelda Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks). This is when innovation gets in the way of fun.

The Wiimote was mostly a disaster as well, except for a few key games (Metroid Prime 3/trilogy for example), oftentimes entirely ruining gameplay experiences which, with a controller, would probably have been amazing (Twilight Princess is a fantastic example of this).

People put too much weight on innovation. Give me a topdown action rpg ANY day over a stupid kinect jumping game.
#179Bellum_SacrumPosted 5/14/2014 11:51:36 AM
A car with 5 wheels is not innovation. It's just a dumb, unnecessary gimmick.

That's what the Kinect is.

To add insult to injury, it's just an upgraded EyeToy from the PS2 days.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#180KyoReiseTaisenPosted 5/14/2014 11:52:11 AM
superbowl54 posted...
DmonHiro posted...

that's the hilarious thing about it, none of the defenders can even give ONE example.

It's what Nintendo did but NOT Nintendo, so it's good!