Forbes: "Consumers are stiflying innovation"

#21jfernattPosted 5/14/2014 7:51:03 AM
Viet0ne posted...
Microsoft themselves are the cause of the lack of innovation.

1. They force the Kinect in every Xbox One
2. They have no games at launch that show case the Kinect
3. They have no games even now that really showcase the new Kinect
(Kinect Sports Rivals is marginally better than 360 Kinect games)
4. There are no games that have been announced that use Kinect in any different way

If Microsoft wanted people to see the value in Kinect, they would have mandated that every Xbox One game have Kinect functionality at release like they do with achievements. This would have at least driven developers to come up with either tacked on Kinect features or possibly new and innovative features.

Consumers have been waiting since the Kinect was released in 2010 for the supposed innovation from the Kinect.

You beat me to it.
#22Exodus_PrimePosted 5/14/2014 7:52:05 AM
Ellesarien posted...
Couldn't agree more. This is a negative for both the gaming industry and technology. Gamers are clueless.

If the devs or Sony or Microsoft try anything new, they get all scared and hateful before even trying it out, it's like " change" or "innovative" scares them.
---
"Trolls are the dudebros of Gamefaqs. They just don't realize it." - curtland
Xbox One-PlayStation 4-Xbox 360-PS3-Vita
#23bob15xPosted 5/14/2014 7:54:44 AM(edited)
Ellesarien posted...
Couldn't agree more. This is a negative for both the gaming industry and technology. Gamers are clueless.

I agree. Look at digital. People were freaking out over being all digital but after having an xbox one and ps4 its easy to see why digital is so much better. You really see that on the xbox one.

and when they add the opportunity to resell those games digital to me is the way to go.

If there wasn't an outcry we would already have the ability to resell digital games by now. Now we have to wait and hope its out before the next 3 years.
#24crucialPosted 5/14/2014 7:57:57 AM
This is the reason why VR will never take off,no one is going to buy it for 300+ its asking price is for,need a camera and a controller,Sony needs to shelve VR until next gen or they are going to take a big loss on the tech,VR will fail.
#25Viet0nePosted 5/14/2014 7:58:38 AM
bob15x posted...
Ellesarien posted...

I agree. Look at digital. People were freaking out over being all digital but after having an xbox one and ps4 its easy to see why digital is so much better. You really see that on the xbox one.

and when they add the opportunity to resell those games digital to me is the way to go.

If there wasn't an outcry we would already have the ability to resell digital games by now. Now we have to wait and hope its out before the next 3 years.

You mean you have the ability as long as the publishers allow you to sell it and you are either restricted to selling at authorized retailers or restricted to selling to people who have been on your friends list for a month.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIV ARR, FFXHD, Spelunky, Infamous SS
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#26quincy2000aPosted 5/14/2014 7:58:56 AM
The innovative technology needs to have some worth.

A media box that I have to talk to/wave at is of no worth to me.

IllumiRoom was innovative but they canned that.

And, most of all, your "innovation" should not denigrate the main product. I read another article today speculating on how much the console will now gain because the Kinect will not even have to be considered.
---
http://www.thehdstandard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/720p-vs-1080p.png
And, yes, I visit Eurogamer's Digital Foundry for X1/PS4 comparisons.
#27nableetPosted 5/14/2014 8:00:43 AM
bob15x posted...
Ellesarien posted...

Having the option to go digital is fine. If MS had just removed the disc drive, then you would be in the type of position they originally wanted with the kinect. No choice. Must be plugged in (until they backed down).

Show me why kinect is great and I will get on board. Ram it down my throat and say "we know best, innovation!!!" is not going to cut it. Same with digital. Give me sales and let me get a taste, then I will get on board.

More carrot, less stick.
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#28InterzoneMantraPosted 5/14/2014 8:02:40 AM
nableet posted...
bob15x posted...
Ellesarien posted...

Having the option to go digital is fine. If MS had just removed the disc drive, then you would be in the type of position they originally wanted with the kinect. No choice. Must be plugged in (until they backed down).

Show me why kinect is great and I will get on board. Ram it down my throat and say "we know best, innovation!!!" is not going to cut it. Same with digital. Give me sales and let me get a taste, then I will get on board.

More carrot, less stick.

best post in this topic imo
#29Hucast9Posted 5/14/2014 8:05:44 AM
Here's what I think. Kinect has its uses, but the use that I see for is for another console generation. I imagine a console that makes use of a camera, 2 or 3 holographic projectors that you can put on walls, the console, and the controller. This will allow several things to happen.

The camera will detect your positon in the 3D space of your room. Once your position is detected, the holographic projectors will be able to project an image that augments whatever is occuring on the tv screen. All the action will still occur on the tv screen. For example, when you bring down the capital ship in Vanquish, it'll be projected into your room as it comes crashing down. Another example, you go to the map room in a Metroid game. Once you access the map computer, the map is projected 12 inches from your face (but away from inbetween you and the tv screen) for you to see.
#30bob15xPosted 5/14/2014 8:07:13 AM
Viet0ne posted...
bob15x posted...
Ellesarien posted...

You mean you have the ability as long as the publishers allow you to sell it and you are either restricted to selling at authorized retailers or restricted to selling to people who have been on your friends list for a month.

its the future and sony will do it to. So deal with it.

and let me explain something to you that maybe you dont know.

Disks get damage
Disks go out of print.

Years from now some disks are impossible to find

Digital can live on for so much longer. Look at digital on pc. 20+ year old games you can still get.

so i guess your publishers no longer giving you accesses to it is a wasted argument now isnt it. In fact publishers can make money for a longer period of time because usually after a couple of years a game on disk starts to disappear and become harder to find. With digital that publisher can offer big sales on digital and get a revenue stream that on disk was completely dead.

Get your mind out of your little fanboy box because Sony is pushing digital hard too you know. Welcome to the future.