Forbes: "Consumers are stiflying innovation"

#31bob15xPosted 5/14/2014 8:09:42 AM
InterzoneMantra posted...
nableet posted...
bob15x posted...
Ellesarien posted...
Couldn't agree more. This is a negative for both the gaming industry and technology. Gamers are clueless.

I agree. Look at digital. People were freaking out over being all digital but after having an xbox one and ps4 its easy to see why digital is so much better. You really see that on the xbox one.

and when they add the opportunity to resell those games digital to me is the way to go.

If there wasn't an outcry we would already have the ability to resell digital games by now. Now we have to wait and hope its out before the next 3 years.

Having the option to go digital is fine. If MS had just removed the disc drive, then you would be in the type of position they originally wanted with the kinect. No choice. Must be plugged in (until they backed down).

Show me why kinect is great and I will get on board. Ram it down my throat and say "we know best, innovation!!!" is not going to cut it. Same with digital. Give me sales and let me get a taste, then I will get on board.

More carrot, less stick.

best post in this topic imo

horrible post because MS was never removing the disk drive. They were selling the disks to distribute the software so that people didnt have to worry about the internet downloads.

Also keeping Kinect plugged in had nothing to do with the drm.. Why the hell would you think kinect have anything to do with drm? that is just stupid

so how can it be the best post and its full of wrong information?
#32Hucast9Posted 5/14/2014 8:10:19 AM
continued:

So basically, what I said makes sense for something like a camera. Something like the Kinect game The Fighter Within does not makes sense at all. The concept behind that game is that you must punch the air in front of you imagining that an opponent is there. That is a flawed concept that makes no sense. They haven't realized the potential of what a camera could do, but I have.
#33Viet0nePosted 5/14/2014 8:10:24 AM
bob15x posted...
Viet0ne posted...
bob15x posted...
Ellesarien posted...
Couldn't agree more. This is a negative for both the gaming industry and technology. Gamers are clueless.

I agree. Look at digital. People were freaking out over being all digital but after having an xbox one and ps4 its easy to see why digital is so much better. You really see that on the xbox one.

and when they add the opportunity to resell those games digital to me is the way to go.

If there wasn't an outcry we would already have the ability to resell digital games by now. Now we have to wait and hope its out before the next 3 years.

You mean you have the ability as long as the publishers allow you to sell it and you are either restricted to selling at authorized retailers or restricted to selling to people who have been on your friends list for a month.

its the future and sony will do it to. So deal with it.

and let me explain something to you that maybe you dont know.

Disks get damage
Disks go out of print.

Years from now some disks are impossible to find

Digital can live on for so much longer. Look at digital on pc. 20+ year old games you can still get.

so i guess your publishers no longer giving you accesses to it is a wasted argument now isnt it. In fact publishers can make money for a longer period of time because usually after a couple of years a game on disk starts to disappear and become harder to find. With digital that publisher can offer big sales on digital and get a revenue stream that on disk was completely dead.

Get your mind out of your little fanboy box because Sony is pushing digital hard too you know. Welcome to the future.

Let me explain something to you that maybe you don't know.

Digital games get removed (Happened to plenty of 360/PS3 digital games)
Publishers pull games when they lose selling rights

Some digital games can no longer be download that people legitimately purchased on both the 360 and PS3.

So all your arguments are no longer valid.
---
Currently Playing: FFXIV ARR, FFXHD, Spelunky, Infamous SS
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#34TheGam3925Posted 5/14/2014 8:12:16 AM
"We’re afraid of new things. We just want our sequels"

How is the Kinect a new thing exactly?
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#35roboto_pilotoPosted 5/14/2014 8:13:36 AM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Ellesarien posted...

If the devs or Sony or Microsoft try anything new, they get all scared and hateful before even trying it out, it's like " change" or "innovative" scares them.

I don't think that the change or innovation scared anyone.

What scared gamers was probably the lack of any good games to go with those promises. Then further scared them when there was nothing announced in the near future?

It happened to the ps3, why would you think it wouldn't happen to the Kinect 2.0, especially when it really did have "no games".

Little fact for you; gamers want games. How do you expect to sell that without games? Judging by sales most people don't buy on hype, claims, and promises. Fanboys on the other hand...
---
"I guess I'm a bad man who tried to be a good father, I don't know. Every man has a right to change." ~ John Marston
#36DionysusPosted 5/14/2014 8:15:20 AM
Stuff like this is hilarious to read. From a gaming perspective, Kinect has been around for years. It's not some new product that people don't understand. It was foolish to think that MS could bundle these things together without paying a significant price. They thought they were Apple, but they aren't. They are the guys that get their butts kicked by Apple (in the consumer electronics markets at least).
#37Impaired MedicPosted 5/14/2014 8:15:27 AM
Flailing around to make things move on the picture box isn't innovation.
---
". . ." ~That guy from GTA3
#38MetroidFan9999Posted 5/14/2014 8:16:16 AM
Disagree wholeheartedly. Although I think MS providing a kinectless sku is a bad idea, that is because the system is designed heavily around it. And I will continue to think this until they make some changes to the OS.

But I do think Kinect is not a good gaming product, and it is the epitome of the concept of "innovation for the sake of innovation". It has it's few shining moments (and all those moments are outside of gaming), but MS has seriously failed at making this device a game changer in the arena of gaming.
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/
#39SixStringHeroPosted 5/14/2014 8:19:56 AM(edited)
To this day you cannot turn off the Lightbar on the PS4 controller? I figured they had worked something out for that by now. And yeah, Sony straight up lied to people about what their true intent was.

I couldn't care less about Kinect, so not forcing the peripheral in every console is a good thing and gives gamers choice. Sony dropped Move support, called it a loss and moved on. MS can do the same if needs be, and I doubt the vast majority would care.

I also feel that Project Morpheus will not make a big splash. So far what has been shown is just as gimmicky as Kinect, bland game play and lack luster visuals.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#40youngskillzPosted 5/14/2014 8:17:05 AM
xbox lives an dies by the consumer, if alot of them don't want a forced cam then it is what it is.

i think most people would rather try out VR than kinect.
---
Metal Bands OTM -- Arch Enemy, Aborted, Eye of the Enemy, The Wake, Exhortation, Deals Death, Mechanical God Creation, Fractal Gates, Destinity, Isolated.