Something I fail to see in every Kinect topic about it being innovative.

#1TheMuffinPosted 5/14/2014 10:53:10 AM(edited)
What, exactly, was innovative about it from a gaming standpoint? And I don't just mean Kinect 2.0. I mean the platform overall. In the 4 years or so that it's been for sale, what did it actually push forward for gaming? Every single person in a hissy fit keeps saying that not having it included will stagnate growth and innovation on the platform but never specify anything that came or was planned to come out.

Does no one seems to think that maybe, just maybe, Microsoft didn't cave to demands of gamers and investors to remove the unit, but instead looked at their development teams and saw none but a single one of them was actually making use of the Kinect? Think about it. We know about most games a year or more before they ever release to the public. And aside from Harmonix did any of you ever even hear a rumor about some big game coming that would fully support the Kinect? I know I didn't. From my standpoint, it looks like Microsoft saw that the developer attach rate was practically non existent and realized there was potential to boost sales by creating a new SKU without it.

We need to stop blaming other gamers for the failure of the peripheral. The original Kinect sold over 24 million units. That is quite a large attach rate for a fancy DOF camera. With that many units in homes, what games did we get? Dance games and shovelware. Now with Kinect 2.0 there are roughly only 6 million units out in the wild. If we couldn't get some 'innovation' with 24 million from developers, how the hell does anyone think we would get something amazing with 1/4 of that amount? Or even half that amount from a year of sales.

TL,DR:
Devs didn't create anything innovative for the first Kinect and looking ahead at previews and rumors, weren't going to create anything for the new one either. Stop blaming other gamers.
---
MonicasBack ~This is an interesting topic, I could imagine my mom or someone else who has zero knowledge of games making it.
#2Maverick_ReznorPosted 5/14/2014 10:53:20 AM
ITT- TC didnt play Mass Effect 3 on the 360
---
Currently Playing : Titanfall, Dark Souls 2, Bound by Flame
Looking Forward To: Destiny,Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Evolve The Order 1886
#3TheMuffin(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2014 10:56:55 AM
Maverick_Reznor posted...

I've got 1160 GS in it with 58/68 achievements completed. I also used my Kinect with it when I first started. It was easier to map my grenade to a button and direct my team with the D-Pad so I stopped using it.
---
MonicasBack ~This is an interesting topic, I could imagine my mom or someone else who has zero knowledge of games making it.
#4GeistPosted 5/14/2014 10:57:59 AM
TheMuffin posted...

I've got 1160 GS in it with 58/68 achievements completed. I also used my Kinect with it when I first started. It was easier to map my grenade to a button and direct my team with the D-Pad so I stopped using it.

Easier? Yea you did not play it.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#5nableetPosted 5/14/2014 10:59:25 AM

ITT - voice commands can't be done by anything but a $100+ HD camera....erm....
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#6Ironman06Posted 5/14/2014 11:00:06 AM

ITT- TC didn't play Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One or Dead Rising 3. Your argument only works if developers hadn't been taking advantage of the Kinect, but they have. Sure, not every game uses Kinect, but saying that they've been ignoring the technology all together just isn't true.
---
"The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer." - Cunningham's Law
#7billOrileyPosted 5/14/2014 11:01:50 AM

Didn't know u need a $100 camera to do voice commands that a $5 dollar headset could do 2 generations ago.
---
**** it, we'll do it live!
#8-FryShakeWad-Posted 5/14/2014 11:02:00 AM
Ironman06 posted...

ITT- TC didn't play Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One or Dead Rising 3. Your argument only works if developers hadn't been taking advantage of the Kinect, but they have. Sure, not every game uses Kinect, but saying that they've been ignoring the technology all together just isn't true.

These
---
The spirit of The Ultimate Warrior will run forever! - James Brian Hellwig (R.I.P)
XBL: FryShakeWad PSN: fryshakewad
#9Ramsus082Posted 5/14/2014 11:03:18 AM(edited)
We didn't give it enough time, apparently. That's because we're stupid consumers. I guess four years wasn't enough to create more worthwhile content. We probably should have given them eight to get it right.
---
"Exclusives MIGHT look better on the PS4. Multiplatform games will look identical." - You
#10TBONE_OGPosted 5/14/2014 11:05:36 AM(edited)
Great representation of what's wrong with gamers today. Thanks, TC.

Screw all those people who innovate, right? Should have stuck it out with Model T cars, and rafts with paddles...
---
Always O.G.