I Wish Microsoft Didn't Have Kinect-less Xbox

#1KajayachtPosted 5/14/2014 11:06:34 AM
I wish Microsoft didn't decide to offer an Xbox One without the Kinect. When you think about it, the fact that you are guarenteed that the entire install base has a certain product, this give developers more confidence in developing high budget good software that utilizes it properly.

It makes people take more risks and allows for new ideas easier. Take for example the Wii U, say what you will of it, but the fact that every Wii U has the tablet gamepad allows developers to utilize it versus if it were optional developers would have to make sure that they can profit from the development time to utilize it.

Kinect guaranteed that everyone on Xbox one had a camera, microphone, body recognition, and infrared. Imagine, if in the next Elder Scrolls game if your real-life heart rate affected your character’s stamina and such or if while sneaking loud noises would alert the person. That’d be awesome. But now that there will be Xbox One owners that might not have Kinect, stuff like that is less likely to happen.

Finally, whenever people come over, they see the Xbox One and say “Kinect!! We would like to play.” Not “Whoa! Nice graphics! I’d like to get my hands on that game!!!”
---
I'm so neat, I'm like a well kept office.
#2TarotXIIIPosted 5/14/2014 11:11:39 AM
Don't buy it then? they're still going to sell the one with the kinect.
#3MistaAtlasPosted 5/14/2014 11:13:50 AM
lol
---
GT:Wh0oIsJohnGalt I Steam:Whoisjohngalt I PSN:MistaAtlas
#4Apex-PlayerPosted 5/14/2014 11:15:24 AM
I agree,
seeing videos of xbox owners playing an Elder Scrolls with their own stamina would be really something worth advertising.

Or like the next Dragons Dogma scans you into a character model and depending, it affects what your ideal class would be.

Of course the feature could be turned off, but it sure would be something to see in action.
Never know though,
maybe instead of investing in timed DLC, fan feedback could get MS to throw money at developers for these features.
---
Unbearable is it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.
There's a secret song at the center of the world and its sound is like razors through flesh
#5DarkFoxVPosted 5/14/2014 12:02:18 PM(edited)
Yes TC, and in WiiU's case, it's not very expensive. Same can't really be said about a $500 system that's weaker then it's cheaper competition and has mostly the exact same games as it's competition. Natural selections takes effect, and the more attractive product takes the lead. In this case the PS4. Now that they are of equal price, X1 has a better chance now with a nice list of exclusives on the way.

Having options is a VERY important part of the gaming experience. The simple fact is not everyone games the same way. We each have our own interests and our controller(s) of choice. Some like to game with a mouse and keyboard, some like myself like to game with a gamepad or controller based motion control (when it works), others like gaming using motion controls. No one likes being forced to ONLY play one way to play a game. And there are some genre that don't really work well with curtain controller options. For example, FPS's tend to work at their best with key board and mouse setups and controller based motion control (wii-mote/PS move). Sidescrollers based around platforming or exploration work best with a tradition gamepad D-Pad. 3D type games work best with gamepads using analog sticks/circle pads. And puzzle and tactical game can shine through key board and mouse/ touch screen, and controller based motion control. Dancing games and stuff like kinect sport are at their best with things like the kinect.

By having it as an option, it'll have it's place in the market without forcing folks to own it if they don't want to in order to play something like "Sunset Overdrive". A game that won't really benefit from having kinect controls due to the nature of it's design. Look at the PS eye toy. It's not forced but it's selling like crazy. Because people had a choice in rather or not to own it. The curious will buy it. if it works out well, it'll get more positive reviews, and a better reception. If they don't then they won't get screwed over as much.

Innovation is never truly stalled. For better or worse, It finds away no matter what we do. Some people use to think computers would never catch on back in what the early 70s? And yet here we are today where computers are everywhere and used by almost everyone. Even Smart Phones/tablets, a concept that seemed badly flawed or pointless in the beginning ended up changing how we interact with others and became an important part of our lives. Resulting in laptops going down a road towards hybrid like machines. Because people have the option and choice on rather or not to try something. The new is better received and respected. The gaming industry is huge and VAST so full of many different types of games, genres, and controller types. Why force motion control to be the only controller? That would only make things boring. It's a lot more interesting when we have various different types of games, genre's, and controllers. A sea of new things to explore and try. And the feeling of knowing that you made that choice, not someone else.

Humans are curious by nature, and eventually will try out the new. Don't force innovation on them. Let it peak their interests and become another part of a bigger whole. Heck it may even change the way we view that whole.
---
"Legends never die"
#6Kajayacht(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2014 12:06:20 PM
TarotXIII posted...

That doesn't change the fact that if Xbox One sans Kinect sells well, devs will have less of an incentive to utilize it.
---
I'm so neat, I'm like a well kept office.
#7DarkFoxVPosted 5/14/2014 12:25:49 PM(edited)
Kajayacht posted...
TarotXIII posted...

That doesn't change the fact that if Xbox One sans Kinect sells well, devs will have less of an incentive to utilize it.

Honestly that's not entirely a bad thing. Remember the Wii? Yeah most of it's motion controls were tacked on in a lot of games. most of which did it very poorly. And that console dusted both the PS3 and 360 in sales for a good while.

Motion controls don't work for all games. Kinect will do fine and now it won't have to deal with forced mechanics being handle sloppy. It'll still sell well for the same reasons eye toy is doing great. And it'll get some games that are more focused on making good use of it. Bad Kinect games will be less frequent this way.
---
"Legends never die"
#8CaIiber345Posted 5/14/2014 12:28:58 PM
Kajayacht posted...
I wish Microsoft didn't decide to offer an Xbox One without the Kinect. When you think about it, the fact that you are guarenteed that the entire install base has a certain product, this give developers more confidence in developing high budget good software that utilizes it properly.

Is this the only film they're showing in Defense class?

Think for yourself. It's been one year since Xbox One was announced publicly, which means several years since developers have known about the console.

Just Dance
Kinect Sports Rivals

Get the picture? No one is doing anything unique and revolutionary with Kinect, and it will be far and few in between when they do. No one wants to waste the time and money when it can be better spent elsewhere in game development. Everyone on the planet could have one. It doesn't matter.
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: Destiny, No Man's Sky, Rogue Legacy, The Witness
#9untrustfulPosted 5/14/2014 12:31:35 PM
Kajayacht posted...
Imagine, if in the next Elder Scrolls game if your real-life heart rate affected your character’s stamina and such or if while sneaking loud noises would alert the person.

Those are terrible ideas.
---
TSV: 2721, 3DS: 2062-9903-3990, In Game Name: Dr. Evil
Sleep & Dreams FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/284-sleep-and-dreams/44956530
#10MRL3G3NDPosted 5/14/2014 12:33:49 PM
lmao
I keep hearing about the developer base...but it's just talk bro

nobody has anything planned for that thing...

...and if they ever do it would be good to have a choice of whether you want to buy it or not.

There is no must have app/game for the Kinect...and they haven't even announced one in the near future...

You have to be young/naïve/gullible to eat up this PR speak... I mean people come in here and spit it back word for word as if it was LAW

THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING

lesson for life

"Actions speak louder than words"
---
WU-TANG vs BF4
http://youtu.be/TVmvMvJ67zo