Have I been banned from chat?

#1amileo2001Posted 5/15/2014 10:42:29 AM
Is there a way to determine if your xbox has been banned from the ability to chat in game and if so is this ban permanent? Whether or not you believe me, I do not scream or swear (at least not very often) into the microphone when gaming. One day I signed in and attempted to talk in game and noticed the mic icon was not showing up (the speaker symbol which signifies you are talking) I am still able to hear everyone through the headset. I even attempted to use the kinect as a mic, but still nothing. I am able to record private messages so this makes me assume I was banned, but I'm seriously confused as to why I would have been banned. I'm not saying I never curse, but if I'm playing a rated M game, I should be able to get away with a few of the more accepted bad words without getting in trouble. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
#2MJFJDPosted 5/15/2014 10:43:35 AM
Which of the more accepted bad words did you use?
#3darkshadowmasterPosted 5/15/2014 10:44:07 AM
I was going to say the mic but if it lets you record stuff I don't know.

Maybe enough people complained & you were hit with a voice suspension? No clue.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#4DeadLock25Posted 5/15/2014 10:44:27 AM
Try checking your settings, maybe you have parental controls on or your settings limit your ability to voice chat online.

Is it happening for only one game?

Also try doing a hard reset (holding the power button for 10 seconds) in case its just a temporary glitch.
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244
#5LooksLikeRainPosted 5/15/2014 10:45:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6amileo2001(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2014 11:14:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm at work right now, but I will attempt these fixes when I get home this evening. @MJFJD, to give you an idea, here are the non-curse word versions:

butt,
female dog,
poop
#7Joey-ZazaPosted 5/15/2014 11:15:39 AM
You can say ass, for the record.
---
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." - The Dark Tower I
#8ILikesCheesePosted 5/15/2014 11:34:58 AM
Microsoft will permanently ban you account from being able to use the chat feature?

I didn't know that.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#9darkshadowmasterPosted 5/15/2014 11:37:51 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
permanently

I don't believe so. I do know they will suspend your chat for a bit.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#10ILikesCheesePosted 5/15/2014 11:40:09 AM
darkshadowmaster posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
permanently

I don't believe so. I do know they will suspend your chat for a bit.

Anything to do with cutting off the chat feature, and nothing else, is something I was unaware of. I thought if you did or said something naughty you were suspended from the entire LIVE service for a period of time, not piecemeal bits of it.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?