It's Xb1 users fault that MS unbundled the kinect

#11CKnightPosted 5/16/2014 10:34:23 AM
Ultimately I see Kinect doing well even without being bundled. Last time I checked alot of people were still buying the PS4 Camera. They simply want the option to and on their own time.

If not when they buy the console then later.

But a lot of people were very optimistic about Kinect because every Xbox One owner would have one. Now that optimism took a hit.

Even if it doesn't become a major tool for gaming I still enjoy the feature it adds for controlling the camera, twitch, skype and I use it as a mic when gaming online. And i'm sure MS will refine and still add to it's capabilities.
#12ArsenicSteelPosted 5/16/2014 1:15:36 PM
newbie2007 posted...
There are many XB1 fans complain that general gamers stiffle their favorite innovation aka the Kinect.
IMO, it's the xb1 users turning their back on Kinect that should be blamed.

Kinect Sports Rivals, now there's a game that actually use Kinect in a meaningful way. And it sells only 150k copies!

According to MS, on average, Xb1 users use 120 voice commands per month or 4 commands per days!

Couple with the fact that MS sold only 115k units in April, it's easy to see why MS unbudled the Kinect to lower the price. It is still too high though. Expect XB1 model with no Kinect, no HDMI passthough for $350 soon.

You can't force change nor can you blame consumers for not changing the way a business wants them to.

Change happens when both ideas and consumer interests match up.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#13newbie2007(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 8:33:57 PM
ArsenicSteel posted...
newbie2007 posted...
There are many XB1 fans complain that general gamers stiffle their favorite innovation aka the Kinect.
IMO, it's the xb1 users turning their back on Kinect that should be blamed.

Kinect Sports Rivals, now there's a game that actually use Kinect in a meaningful way. And it sells only 150k copies!

According to MS, on average, Xb1 users use 120 voice commands per month or 4 commands per days!

Couple with the fact that MS sold only 115k units in April, it's easy to see why MS unbudled the Kinect to lower the price. It is still too high though. Expect XB1 model with no Kinect, no HDMI passthough for $350 soon.

You can't force change nor can you blame consumers for not changing the way a business wants them to.

Change happens when both ideas and consumer interests match up.

Agree, MS shares the blame as well. They force the Kinect on users but has nothing good to show for it. They expect every game developers to embrace it. Very weird strategy.

3rd developers have no financial insentive to make different versions for different consoles. Look at PS4/XB1 3rd party games, the only difference is resolution/fps, no additional graphical effects, polygons,...
#14fizzle2222Posted 5/16/2014 8:36:56 PM
strong statistics TC, %100 correct.
#15aszsithPosted 5/16/2014 9:14:57 PM
lunchbox2042 posted...
If you're going to use it soley for voice commands then why not just make those voice commands available through a headset? You don't need a silly camera just for the voice commands.

The argument could be made that you didnt need silly headset support for voice commands since Kinect was included with every console. We've entered chicken/egg level argument territory now.

People love to argue that Kinect functionality like voice commands can be done alternatively, but they generally ignore that this is unnecessary if they system is used as originally designed. Also, how is a headset going to control your cable box without the Kinect IR blaster? There is functionality there, albeit one I don't personally use.

newbie2007 posted...

The HDMI input is essentially useless without Kinect. The whole point to use it is in conjunction with Kinect acting as a voice controlled remote. The input lag on it is so bad it makes playing another game console through it completely unplayable in almost all cases.

However, getting rid of the input would mean completely killing Kinect support. Without dedicated games, the only major reason to use Kinect is as an IR remote for tv.

It was called the Xbox One because it was supposed to be the main device under your tv. It played games, streamed movies, played blu-rays, and controlled all your devices as a universal remote.

Why would Microsoft design the XBOne this way? Because the most requested and used features in recent years are things like Netflix and HBOGo streaming. They are used more than gaming by most Xbox users.

http://allthingsd.com/20130211/xbox-by-the-numbers-76m-devices-and-theyre-not-all-used-by-dudes/

"U.S. Xbox account holders use the devices for 87 hours per month. As of last March, non-game usage fitness, entertainment content from partners like HBO and Netflix, etc. started outpacing game usage on a yearly basis. There was 57 percent year-over-year growth in entertainment usage."

Unfortunately, those people who use entertainment features more than gaming have yet to upgrade to the XBOne. The console was designed for them as much as it was for the "hardcore" gamer, but the "hardcore" gamer wants to think the machine should be dedicated to their usage exclusively. The irony there of course is that the true "hardcore" game on PC because they can get that custom experience with the best specs possible and stay on the bleeding edge of technology.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#16superbowl54Posted 5/16/2014 9:36:38 PM
you're welcome.
---
360: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence; Steam: superbowl54
MS needs to patch out the uselessness called Kinect.
#17pwnater777Posted 5/16/2014 9:42:22 PM
MS made the right decision to unbundle a gimmick that tons of people don't want to have jammed down their throats, regardless of how hard you try to persuade someone by saying "it's so helpful!"

Maybe now that "10% of GPU power blocked by the Kinect" can actually be used. Or was that just PR talk?
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#18SparkItUpPosted 5/16/2014 9:45:39 PM
pwnater777 posted...
MS made the right decision to unbundle a gimmick that tons of people don't want to have jammed down their throats, regardless of how hard you try to persuade someone by saying "it's so helpful!"

Maybe now that "10% of GPU power blocked by the Kinect" can actually be used. Or was that just PR talk?

The 10% is still set aside for those who possibly get Kinect down the road afterwards.