Simple solution for XB1 redesign to boost performance & is almost feasible.

#11RyzekiPosted 5/16/2014 7:36:14 PM
I am afraid there is a voltage limit on both the cpu and gpu that would make the performancr ceiling hit hard.

Your solution is not a solution but a bandaid.

Besides not all waffers are the same and thus the lowest binned chips will lag behind.

The actual solution would be to stop making the console itself and let the consumers make it. Aka pc. They can make certsin requierements and as long as you meet or exceed you are golden.

Hell i think jaguar cores cant run easily over 2.x ghz stably. They are low power oriented.
---
Core i7 4700MQ | | 16GB DDR3L || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX780M OC
#12Thewinner14Posted 5/17/2014 6:14:46 AM
Water cooling has been obsolete in the PC world because multiple core CPUs make extreme overclocking unnecessary.
---
"Let your Kingdom come" - Matthew 6:10
#136453Posted 5/17/2014 6:39:39 AM
thegreatsquare posted...
LanternOfAsh posted...
LOL wow TC you for real? One- they aren't going to to do water cooling. EVER. Two- All the consoles have to run the same. You might as well make a new system if you're going to do that because it completely defeats the point. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

1-You don't know what "retrofitted" means.

2-Really, I don't care. If I get one console it will be the PS4. If you don't want to believe that watercooling can bump up the clocks a few 100MHz, so be it.

If you're going to get one console and it's going to be the PS4, why even care? Seems a bit odd to me. That said, do you honestly think this is a good idea? from a pure business standpoint its completely ridiculous. From a marketing view it also sucks
---
Meine hosen sind auf feuer!
#14thegreatsquare(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2014 6:48:56 AM
Ryzeki posted...
I am afraid there is a voltage limit on both the cpu and gpu that would make the performancr ceiling hit hard.

Your solution is not a solution but a bandaid.

Besides not all waffers are the same and thus the lowest binned chips will lag behind.

The actual solution would be to stop making the console itself and let the consumers make it. Aka pc. They can make certsin requierements and as long as you meet or exceed you are golden.

Hell i think jaguar cores cant run easily over 2.x ghz stably. They are low power oriented.

That is a good point and those are limiting factors, but I still think WC would allow clock boosts of 10-15% across the board regardless.

CPU: 2.0GHz [Up from 1.75GHz]

This is within parameters.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/2

"There’s no word on clock speed, but Jaguar at 28nm is good for up to 2GHz depending on thermal headroom. "

GPU: 10% - 938MHz, 15% - 981MHz [Up from 853GHz]

GCN architecture can OC pretty well, AMD sells "Gigahertz Editions" of a few CGN GPUs. Voltage is still an issue, but heat is probably the main issue limiting clocks. [Msoft already upped the GPU clocks from 800-853MHz]

RAM: There may be issues with games already out, so I'm not sure it could be done.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#15thegreatsquare(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2014 7:11:48 AM
6453 posted...
thegreatsquare posted...
LanternOfAsh posted...
LOL wow TC you for real? One- they aren't going to to do water cooling. EVER. Two- All the consoles have to run the same. You might as well make a new system if you're going to do that because it completely defeats the point. You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

1-You don't know what "retrofitted" means.

2-Really, I don't care. If I get one console it will be the PS4. If you don't want to believe that watercooling can bump up the clocks a few 100MHz, so be it.

If you're going to get one console and it's going to be the PS4, why even care? Seems a bit odd to me. That said, do you honestly think this is a good idea? from a pure business standpoint its completely ridiculous. From a marketing view it also sucks

I think it is the most doable idea. It is the only idea available short of an entire redesign that is physically possible. Yes there are million of XB1s out there, but it is a matter of replacing a part and a firmware update as opposed to replacing a whole unit. The people who have bought XB1s are the ones most loyal to the brand. If Msoft abandons the core set of consumers who stuck with them by actual ownership of the XB1 after all negative things that drove others to the Sony PS4, they'll be nobody left to buy that redesigned XB2. Msoft is stuck with the XB1 hardware for at least five more years. That five years can be spent with the current specs as is or they can be made capable of running faster through via good cooling to minimize the performance disparity with the PS4.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#16Ryan-06Posted 5/18/2014 10:12:48 AM
Straight_Cat posted...
Just put your bone in the freezer

lol
---
chart (outdated): http://ow.ly/uuJ6g, Dalai Lama: http://i.imgur.com/XGawTZt.jpg
chocolate: http://ow.ly/t0gvj, http://ow.ly/t0g1Y
#17g7g7g7g7Posted 5/18/2014 2:51:19 PM
Just no.

Stop for a minute and think about the design philosphy behind both consoles, they are both low power (w) devices. They are not direct equivalents to their Desktop counterparts, for one the GPU cores are not in the desktop configuration but the laptop configuration, they do not have the thermal capacity for higher clock speeds and higher voltage. Even if you extract heat from the chips the heat inside the chip block is far too great when the voltage is higher.

In a desktop GPU, you can have a big heatsink and 2 fans to get heat out, you can also have the card isolated from other heat sensitive components because their is more space, which is why you can overclock a lot higher. Conversly to manage heat in a confined space laptop type or mobile parts are designed not to get as hot, they run lower clockspeeds and voltages and spread the cores out to manage heat rather than removing heat from one ultra-hot isolated blob like a desktop GPU.

Now the same goes for the CPU, which is effectively 4 compute units with 2 integer cores, not a full 8 core processor, sharing dispatchers and caches. Now they have done wonders with the jaguar configuration, the desktop equivalent would be 2 AMD A10-8800 processors bolted together at the l3 cache but it uses about a tenth of the energy to run, which is a miracle considering AMD processors are just terrible for energy efficiency.

Even with water cooling, which would need custom blocks made ($400), pump ($50), pipes ($40) and a radiator ($100) fitted to your xbox which would cost at the very least this amount, would that be worth the 5-10% performance in games. If dead rising 3 is playing at 20-30 fps you would get 22-33 fps. Doesn't seem good value.

btw, I am not hating on amd when I say the octocore is actually a quad, I have an AMD FX 8320 - the big version of the jaguar CPU and in dual threaded tasks against a cheaper i3 or even pentium G my rig gets beaten hard. What they have done with the jag is pretty miraculous considering it uses about 15w compared to my 130-160w consumption.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#18MrSteezPosted 5/18/2014 3:07:09 PM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Is that why they said the Xbox One would be the next water cooler?

I lol'd
---
Posted with GameRaven 2.0.2