A Generational Hatred of Xbox?

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 5/16/2014 12:04:41 PM
Considering the amount of tenuously-relevant threads on the Xbox One boards as of late, I wanted to discuss the elephant in the room - brand extremism.

It's an odd fellow; though I've seen people psychotically obsessive about, say, Nintendo, I see more people with the inverse reaction to the Xbox.

So many people have an outright hatred of the brand which seems so polar that it must be premeditated.

I have a theory; debunk or dismiss it as necessary.

You see, I am born of the early eighties, so I am naturally more accepting of multiple brands. But I believe those who grew up with the PlayStation and N64 as their "coming of age" consoles are more ingrained with the mentality of a "console allegiance". Arguably the only time this was rampant before was SNES vs MegaDrive/Genesis, but even then we happily gamed with our "rival club" pals.

PlayStation's marketing was so aggressively 90s teen, club-serious, faux-adult stuff that the stony-faced nature has followed zealots to their adulthood, which is not to belittle their characters but may explain why Sony-only devotees are so unforgiving when it comes to accepting Xbox, Nintendo or often even PC games into their lifestyles.

Summarised: It's a generational generalisation of those coaxed into "picking a side"; similar things occur with all brands. But those of this particular age were most susceptible to Xbox hatred for this reason.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2LightdaysPosted 5/16/2014 12:07:58 PM
Lol @_@
#3Mindwipe77Posted 5/16/2014 12:09:04 PM
noone hates xbox or sony that really matters, just a buncha whiny, immature kids that want to feel they belong to something, that whole generational hatred of xbox is all in your head
---
Proud owner of PS 1-4, PSP, PS Vita(Greatness Awaits)
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."
#4HellsControllerPosted 5/16/2014 12:13:49 PM
People are also unforgiving with how hard MS tried screwing everyone over.
---
I spilled Spot Remover on my dog....Now he's gone
#5SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 12:14:52 PM
I admit pre-emptively that my theory may be personal/circumstantial, but that's mentioned in the original post.

I may be a presumptuous old man, but not without foundations.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#6Skynet82997Posted 5/16/2014 12:16:37 PM
It's mostly insecure teenage boys and young men - they always get like this - could be over anything - sports teams, lifting methodology, cars - it's all the same crap.

Just insecure young guys, and of course there's a certain contingent of neck bearded man children that obsess over this stuff, but by and large it's insecure young guys with ego issues.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#73HPPosted 5/16/2014 12:19:52 PM
The fact that you are only calling out Sony fans shows that you are projecting your own opinions onto them. Somehow I don't doubt that you feel the same way about Sony products.
#8Exodus_PrimePosted 5/16/2014 12:20:14 PM
Skynet82997 posted...
It's mostly insecure teenage boys and young men - they always get like this - could be over anything - sports teams, lifting methodology, cars - it's all the same crap.

Just insecure young guys, and of course there's a certain contingent of neck bearded man children that obsess over this stuff, but by and large it's insecure young guys with ego issues.

Don't forget the "no way i can forgive said company for screwing me over said amount of years ago" damn let it go lol it's not to hold grudges man, especially over video games.
---
"Trolls are the dudebros of Gamefaqs. They just don't realize it." - curtland
Xbox One-PlayStation 4-Xbox 360-PS3-Vita
#9leatheljPosted 5/16/2014 12:22:19 PM
I agree but there is nothing us old guys can do about it : / they won't listin.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#10Skynet82997Posted 5/16/2014 12:24:43 PM
Exodus_Prime posted...
Skynet82997 posted...

Don't forget the "no way i can forgive said company for screwing me over said amount of years ago" damn let it go lol it's not to hold grudges man, especially over video games.

Yes - another sign of that immaturity - the whole "The MAN is trying to screw me over! The WORLD owes me something!"

Also, acting as if any major corporation isn't in it for the money....lol...
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate