A Generational Hatred of Xbox?

#11Apex-PlayerPosted 5/16/2014 11:25:38 AM
I always bought every console, then that faulty crap of a 360 turned me off supporting xbox.
Say what you will but that was the first console I ever had break on me and in record setting time.

That's what stopped me from buying every product on the shelf.

Then you look at the vision MS had for gaming this gen and the choice becomes obvious,
a few decent games is not worth supporting a company that would have undoubtedly killed my favorite hobby.

I'll buy MS products used for sure, but handing my money to MS directly is something I won't do willingly.
The most I see MS getting is a subscription of Live out of me and that's if I bother with it at all.

Sony and Nintendo are like every other company out to make money, but you can tell they love gaming.
MS is out for money, games are just there to get you in the door.

(Sony has a diverse set of games, most sell pretty badly but they cover every base.
MS looks for what sells and milks it until it bleeds.)
---
Unbearable is it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends.
There's a secret song at the center of the world and its sound is like razors through flesh
#12EnclavePosted 5/16/2014 11:27:36 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I admit pre-emptively that my theory may be personal/circumstantial, but that's mentioned in the original post.

I may be a presumptuous old man, but not without foundations.

I don't know, seems to fit with my experiences also.

Born in '81.

3rd gen I had a Sega Master System.

4th gen I went Super Nintendo

5th gen I went Playstation

6th gen PS2 was my main gaming console but this was the gen I had enough money to play with and bought 4 consoles.

7th gen Primarily played PS3 but owned all 3 consoles.

Current gen: So far PS4 is my only console. I expect I'll have a Wii U and Xbone in due course, it's also too soon to say which I'll game most on.

Also note, when I only owned 1 system? I still played all the systems as my friends didn't have the same system I did all the time. Had tons of fun for instance on Genesis, in fact one of my favourite games from that gen? Crusader of Centi, a Genesis exclusive.

I've noticed though, as online gaming started getting prominence is when the console wars started getting even more ridiculous, because at that time if your friends didn't have the same console as you? You couldn't play with them online.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#13SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 11:29:13 AM
The odd thing is that Sony fanboys have a different stance to, say, Microsoft, Nintendo or Apple fanboys.

Sega fanboys such as myself tend to revel in the Xbox brand for being the spiritual successor to Sega's legacy by means of the Dreamcast-Xbox collaboration.

Nintendo fanboys view Xbox as "Sony Lite"; a company like Sony that encroached aggressively on the territory, only to a lesser degree and much later.

Apple fanboys hate Xbox for precisely the same reason Xbox fanboys despise iTunes.

Microsoft fanboys dislike Xbox for making their company "impure" (console).

Only Sony-only people are as aggressive and persistent as they are, in my experience.*

*experience limited to objective, subjective human opinion based solely on personal stance and experiences
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#14cheezedadadaPosted 5/16/2014 11:29:30 AM(edited)
^
^
*1981 high five*
---
XBL- cheezedadada PSN- cheezedadadada
PC, Xbox One, PS4 and everything else.
#15ILikesCheesePosted 5/16/2014 11:51:16 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
It's an odd fellow; though I've seen people psychotically obsessive about, say, Nintendo, I see more people with the inverse reaction to the Xbox.

You are confusing Fanboyism with Critical Thinking.

Critical thinking leads Bob to the conclusion that after his friend Tom punches him in the face, steals his wallet, kisses his girlfriend, and frames Bob murder, Tom might not be Bob's friend anymore. If he ever was.

Also, don't confuse a brand (Xbox) with the machinations of the company behind it (Microsoft.) The hate you see lobbed at Microsoft for the past year has been very simply earned due to corporate greed and anti-consumer practices. Of course corporations exist to make a profit, but they must balance the tight rope of earning revenue while not alienating their consumer base.

It's not that hard to understand if you actually try and are willing.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#16SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 11:51:21 AM
Enclave posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
I admit pre-emptively that my theory may be personal/circumstantial, but that's mentioned in the original post.

I may be a presumptuous old man, but not without foundations.

I don't know, seems to fit with my experiences also.

Born in '81.

3rd gen I had a Sega Master System.

4th gen I went Super Nintendo

5th gen I went Playstation

6th gen PS2 was my main gaming console but this was the gen I had enough money to play with and bought 4 consoles.

7th gen Primarily played PS3 but owned all 3 consoles.

Current gen: So far PS4 is my only console. I expect I'll have a Wii U and Xbone in due course, it's also too soon to say which I'll game most on.

Also note, when I only owned 1 system? I still played all the systems as my friends didn't have the same system I did all the time. Had tons of fun for instance on Genesis, in fact one of my favourite games from that gen? Crusader of Centi, a Genesis exclusive.

I've noticed though, as online gaming started getting prominence is when the console wars started getting even more ridiculous, because at that time if your friends didn't have the same console as you? You couldn't play with them online.

Pethaps an arbitrary (or perhaps not?) detail to fixate upon; you mentioned online gaming making rivalries stronger. Back in about 2004, our gaming group fragmented as some of us moved to everyday Halo 2, whilst the rest stuck to Counter Strike PC. Both camps got absurdly defensive!
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#17ILikesCheesePosted 5/16/2014 11:53:41 AM
Skynet82997 posted...
It's mostly insecure teenage boys and young men - they always get like this - could be over anything - sports teams, lifting methodology, cars - it's all the same crap.

Just insecure young guys, and of course there's a certain contingent of neck bearded man children that obsess over this stuff, but by and large it's insecure young guys with ego issues.

You're describing yourself and the Microsoft-Can-Do-No-Wrong-Camp, right?

Sure sounds like it.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#18regsantotomasPosted 5/16/2014 11:55:36 AM
While I wouldn't pool an entire generation of gamers together based solely on age; I do think that there is a disparity at times with gamers who have been part of this hobby for much longer.

At the same time, I am always wary of being an old codger that can't relate to the needs of a new generation.

At the end of the day, I still strongly believe in voting with my wallet. In this case, I wasn't on the same side as the free market with regards to how a solution like Xbox One resonates with me. That's OK.

I still look generally positively at this industry as it has provided me years of enjoyment and will continue to do so. I'm in my 40s now and don't plan on quitting any time soon.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#19ILikesCheesePosted 5/16/2014 12:08:36 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I have a theory; debunk or dismiss it as necessary.

You see, I am born of the early eighties...Summarised: It's a generational generalisation of those coaxed into "picking a side"; similar things occur with all brands. But those of this particular age were most susceptible to Xbox hatred for this reason.

First off I'm at least 15 years older than you.

Secondly I was a huge N64 fan, then a huge PS2 fan, then a huge Xbox 360 fan. (To clarify: FAN, not FANBOY. Those were simply the consoles I preferred at the time with the games I liked the most.)

I was eagerly expecting great things from Microsoft's "Xbox 720" Launch event last May....and about five minutes after it was over my dislike of that company and their plans for the "next" (now "this") generation of video game consoles began.

Age has little to do with the Playstation vs Xbox scenario or specifically "Xbox Hate." A little common sense and a lack of bias is all you need.
---
#20kyncaniPosted 5/16/2014 12:15:41 PM
So now the Xbox One has lost an entire generation of gamers ...

great.