A Generational Hatred of Xbox?

#61djimenez0628Posted 5/16/2014 4:39:14 PM
I hated the first Xbox, so maybe it's a pattern
#62CaIiber345Posted 5/16/2014 4:43:49 PM
I don't hate the Xbox brand. I don't hate Microsoft.

I hate the direction and philosophy the Xbox One has been designed around and released with, especially after enjoying the Xbox 360 for almost all of last console generation. I hate all of the horrible quotes that Microsoft employees have left in my ears since the reveal of Xbox One. I hate seeing the hobby I have enjoyed for thirty of the thirty-five years I've been alive become bastardized and marginalized to push a multimedia corporate strategy.

I hate the Kinect. Now that I can truly say that I hate.
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: Destiny, No Man's Sky, Rogue Legacy, The Witness
#63DionysusPosted 5/16/2014 4:47:08 PM
TC is blinded by nostalgia. The console wars started in the 80s and brand loyalty/tribalism was fostered more by Sega than any other console manufacturer. The only fanboys I've ever met IRL were Nintendo/Sega fans. Even now, Nintendo fans are clearly overrepresented online, and that's because of a long history of competition/branding, and perhaps because they appeal to a younger audience.

MS is still the new kid in the console market. They've never dominated a generation, let alone 2 in a row like Sony. And they weren't a particularly well-liked/trusted company before the creation of the Xbox. It's not surprising that they have fewer passionate fans.
#64BruceWayneJrPosted 5/16/2014 4:47:15 PM
Yeah, none of those fanboys who don't support my favorite product could possibly have a legitimate argument for disliking it.

Really, a waste of time. There's no conspiracy or hidden meaning. People like what they like, and it's not always going to align with your tastes. If you can't see how Company X has possibly not done the best it can for its customers, then there's no point in talking business with you.
#65SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 8:03:02 PM
I must say, I went to bed and expected fairly limited responses, and what I received were some truly varied opinions on the subject.

It seems my personal experiences of a particular group are not the rule, but instead that of radical extremists.

Though I expected a binary response to this knowledge, instead you responded with a real jambalaya of mixed experiences, about how certain brands have affected your social groups dependent on your age.

Frankly, I'm glad in this instance my own personal experiences are not mirrored by all.

But dear god, please quit it with the ad hominem responses, it's tedious stuff. I've proven many times who I am, occupation, where I'm from, my general bias/slant, and post-graduate credentials, but I don't know why I felt it was necessary to do so. I'm not killing any puppies, merely having a chat with some people who share varying degrees of passion in a shared hobby.. I suggest if you can't focus on the topic at hand, perhaps at least consider your own motives before slandering me.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#66aszsithPosted 5/16/2014 10:32:24 PM
Honestly, there has been fanboyism since there was legitimate competition in the marketplace. I think what makes the past 2 generations particularly interesting in terms of brand loyalty/hatred isn't that it exists, but the ease with which those opinions are shared coupled with the changes in the industry toward a bigger and bigger market.

When I was a kid there was Atari, Intellevision, and Commodore64. Then came NES. Then Genesis and SNES. Then Playstation and N64. There was little in terms of multi platform games when compared to the number of exclusive games. While you had plenty of single console owners, they really could only hold the games exclusive to their console over your head. Plus, this was pre-Internet (for the most part), so the trash talking had to be done face to face.

By the time I was in college the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube were releasing. This was also when the Internet started taking off. The game consoles, for the first time really, were seeing the same games release on 4 major platforms with practically identical versions (3 consoles and PC). This brought about the new "modern" fanboy argument. Since the same games were releasing on multiple systems, the brand loyalty became fiercer.

Jump forward 10 years and you have the current generation of youth who have been trained to seek the easiest solution, given complete anonymity, and basically told that children have as much of a voice as adults in society. And they've been given the Internet to use as a podium. This environment isn't going to dull fanboyism. It is only going to make it worse.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#67NeoMonkPosted 5/16/2014 10:37:43 PM
what generation exactly?
30 year olds grew up without an xbox
20 year olds were introduced to it halfway thru their lives
10 year olds are barely getting know what gaming is

which generation exactly are you referring to? TC makes no sense.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#68Sin_Angelus_Posted 5/16/2014 11:06:57 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
PlayStation's marketing was so aggressively 90s teen, club-serious, faux-adult stuff that the stony-faced nature has followed zealots to their adulthood, which is not to belittle their characters but may explain why Sony-only devotees are so unforgiving when it comes to accepting Xbox, Nintendo or often even PC games into their lifestyles.

http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml
#69SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 11:16:44 PM
aszsith posted...
Honestly, there has been fanboyism since there was legitimate competition in the marketplace. I think what makes the past 2 generations particularly interesting in terms of brand loyalty/hatred isn't that it exists, but the ease with which those opinions are shared coupled with the changes in the industry toward a bigger and bigger market.

When I was a kid there was Atari, Intellevision, and Commodore64. Then came NES. Then Genesis and SNES. Then Playstation and N64. There was little in terms of multi platform games when compared to the number of exclusive games. While you had plenty of single console owners, they really could only hold the games exclusive to their console over your head. Plus, this was pre-Internet (for the most part), so the trash talking had to be done face to face.

By the time I was in college the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube were releasing. This was also when the Internet started taking off. The game consoles, for the first time really, were seeing the same games release on 4 major platforms with practically identical versions (3 consoles and PC). This brought about the new "modern" fanboy argument. Since the same games were releasing on multiple systems, the brand loyalty became fiercer.

Jump forward 10 years and you have the current generation of youth who have been trained to seek the easiest solution, given complete anonymity, and basically told that children have as much of a voice as adults in society. And they've been given the Internet to use as a podium. This environment isn't going to dull fanboyism. It is only going to make it worse.

I actually think this is almost exactly spot-on.

Currently, we live in an environment where EVERYTHING is an oration, an announcement.

"Having egg and chips for dinner" is no longer just a benign statement, it's positively a public announcement, posted on every social network and outward channels possible, demanding attention and worth from peers.

It's given a sense of hyperbole to everything nowadays. When was the last time you saw someone aged 25 or under refer to something relatively prostrate and normal as "reasonably good"? Between the "THIS COCKTAIL IS THE GREATEST EVER!" and the "MANCHESTER UNITED ARE UTTERLY ****!" plastered on Facebook, Twitter and internet forums, I bet you'd be at least 4:1 on the ratio of hyperbolic to reserved/considered opinions.

What this means, of course, is everyone just gets more extreme in their "team" investment... "more fanboyish", so to speak.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#70TMOGPosted 5/16/2014 11:59:29 PM
XD, people aren't hating on Microsoft and the Xbox One because they're too young to appreciate a multiple-console environment

They're doing it because Microsoft was so stupid about what this console was originally going to be and had a terrible attitude towards anybody who wanted them to change it to a system they'd actually want to buy

You call out Sony fanboys for it but ignore all the Nintendo fanboys, PC fanboys, former Xbox players who turned to PS4 after the Xbox One's features were revealed to be ****, and multi-console owners who decided not to buy one after the reveal was a terrible anti-consumer console

I know you're an Xbox fanboy but this is spin on the level of "people are buying PS4 because they don't like their PS3"
---
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/TMOG/sonoftmogandfriends.jpg