A Generational Hatred of Xbox?

#91TMOGPosted 5/17/2014 6:57:39 AM
nb003_99 posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
I must say, I went to bed and expected fairly limited responses, and what I received were some truly varied opinions on the subject.

It seems my personal experiences of a particular group are not the rule, but instead that of radical extremists.

Though I expected a binary response to this knowledge, instead you responded with a real jambalaya of mixed experiences, about how certain brands have affected your social groups dependent on your age.

Frankly, I'm glad in this instance my own personal experiences are not mirrored by all.

But dear god, please quit it with the ad hominem responses, it's tedious stuff. I've proven many times who I am, occupation, where I'm from, my general bias/slant, and post-graduate credentials, but I don't know why I felt it was necessary to do so. I'm not killing any puppies, merely having a chat with some people who share varying degrees of passion in a shared hobby.. I suggest if you can't focus on the topic at hand, perhaps at least consider your own motives before slandering me.

Do you work for Ubisoft?

No
---
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/TMOG/sonoftmogandfriends.jpg
#92pblimp360Posted 5/17/2014 7:04:38 AM
Sin_Angelus_ posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
PlayStation's marketing was so aggressively 90s teen, club-serious, faux-adult stuff that the stony-faced nature has followed zealots to their adulthood, which is not to belittle their characters but may explain why Sony-only devotees are so unforgiving when it comes to accepting Xbox, Nintendo or often even PC games into their lifestyles.

http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml

That article is complete truth.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#93NSGraphitePosted 5/17/2014 8:57:01 AM
Millertime660 posted...
NSGraphite posted...
People hate the xbox brand because microsofts entry into the console space ruined gaming.

Its that simple.

continue to tell me how gaming is "ruined".

Before the xbox came on the scene, there was PC gaming and console gaming. they were different. actually very few releases hit both. the genres of pc were RTS, WRPG, shooters and some assorted adventure games. the genres of console were action, platforming, jrpg and some adventure games and TBS oh, and sports.

There were some genres that hit both such as racing and flight sim....but in general the experiences were very different. back then, if you were a pc gamer or console gamer only, it was because you preferred a certain type of game that wasnt available on the other platform.

A lot of people liked this dynamic. the industry was split between pc and console gamers, with the hardcore doing both platforms.

When the xbox came on the scene, it was basically just a lw grade pc, making it an easy transition for pc developers to jump aboard, and jump they did, bringing their wrpg and shooter with them. the popularity of shooters then skyrocketed, causing many companies who never before made a shooter to either create shooter franchises, or they changed beloved franchises to play more like a shooter to gain a piece of that pie. (Resident evil is a good example)

Fast forward to today. we see shooter, after shooter, after shooter in continued attempts to woo the COD crowd and the casuals (who generally only play shooters). jrpg is in decline (fault of the japanese for inability to advance...but i believe this is partially due to the explosion in shooter popularity as well as big companines dont want to spend money on jrpg development) platformers are nonexistent except on nintendo consoles...and they are the same tired franchises they've always had. at least action/adventure games are still going strong...but now these games are also being released on PC, where they look much better if you rock a good gfx card. the only thing i'm happy to see from the pc side of the fence are wrpg's. thats a good genre with cross over appeal.

So for many of us, the entry of the xbox ruined gaming. it changed the entire dynamic. Many also consider the ps1/ps2 as the best console(s) ever produced specifically because of varied and quality console style gaming experiences. thats going away.

Ruined!
---
http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3va9jp/
I don't always Troll on the internet. But when I do, I make it the Xbox-One forums...
#94RJones416Posted 5/17/2014 9:20:52 AM
how about trying to force us to buy kinect, spycam, no used games, mandatory online connection etc.

only morons would continue to support a company that tried to screw them.
#95HorridhalPosted 5/17/2014 9:54:19 AM
pblimp360 posted...
Sin_Angelus_ posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
PlayStation's marketing was so aggressively 90s teen, club-serious, faux-adult stuff that the stony-faced nature has followed zealots to their adulthood, which is not to belittle their characters but may explain why Sony-only devotees are so unforgiving when it comes to accepting Xbox, Nintendo or often even PC games into their lifestyles.

http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml

That article is complete truth.

Actually it is called an OPINION piece. It isn't based on fact or truth, it is based on the author's belief.

You believing the same doesn't make it any more valid or true.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#96gogogodzillaPosted 5/17/2014 12:12:00 PM
CaIiber345 posted...
I don't hate the Xbox brand. I don't hate Microsoft.

I hate the direction and philosophy the Xbox One has been designed around and released with, especially after enjoying the Xbox 360 for almost all of last console generation. I hate all of the horrible quotes that Microsoft employees have left in my ears since the reveal of Xbox One. I hate seeing the hobby I have enjoyed for thirty of the thirty-five years I've been alive become bastardized and marginalized to push a multimedia corporate strategy.

I hate the Kinect. Now that I can truly say that I hate.

This!!!!

My thoughts exactly.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#97Juzten76Posted 5/17/2014 12:21:13 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
Hogwash. You youngin's ain't seen nothin' with your console wars and your internet machines. Where's the risk? Where's the danger? Where's the honor? Why in my day there were actual injuries in our "console wars".

You kids should have seen The Great Cup-in-Ball vs Spinning Top Wars of eighteen ought six. Why I even lost an eye in that one. Console wars. Pshhh. You kids don't know nothin'! *spits*

Now get off my lawn.

I remember that. Good times. I was on the front lines, but then I took a spinning top to the knee.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
#98Sin_Angelus_Posted 5/17/2014 1:06:31 PM
NSGraphite posted...
When the xbox came on the scene, it was basically just a lw grade pc, making it an easy transition for pc developers to jump aboard, and jump they did, bringing their wrpg and shooter with them. the popularity of shooters then skyrocketed, causing many companies who never before made a shooter to either create shooter franchises, or they changed beloved franchises to play more like a shooter to gain a piece of that pie. (Resident evil is a good example)

This argument might work if Sony refused to bring FPS to their system or something, but that wasn't the case. They had just as many on PS3, and I think there's actually more on PS4 right now. So by that logic, if MS ruined gaming, then Sony did too.

RJones416 posted...
only morons would continue to support a company that tried to screw them.

Then I guess that makes you a moron for continuing to support Sony, since they've tried to screw you in the past with PS2 dre errors, that they had to be taken to court over and forced to acknowledge, or shoddy PSN security that shut it down for almost a month because they were to lazy/poor to implement the proper security measures. Or what about "forcing" you to buy a $600 PS3 originally? Or taking away backwards compatibility and Linux? Do I need to go on, or do you realize how foolish you sound yet?

Both companies have made mistakes, anyone who holds a grudge over that stuff (especially when MS is actively trying to fix it) is the true moron.
#99dj___rollPosted 5/17/2014 1:26:39 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
Considering the amount of tenuously-relevant threads on the Xbox One boards as of late, I wanted to discuss the elephant in the room - brand extremism.

It's an odd fellow; though I've seen people psychotically obsessive about, say, Nintendo, I see more people with the inverse reaction to the Xbox.

So many people have an outright hatred of the brand which seems so polar that it must be premeditated.

I have a theory; debunk or dismiss it as necessary.

You see, I am born of the early eighties, so I am naturally more accepting of multiple brands. But I believe those who grew up with the PlayStation and N64 as their "coming of age" consoles are more ingrained with the mentality of a "console allegiance". Arguably the only time this was rampant before was SNES vs MegaDrive/Genesis, but even then we happily gamed with our "rival club" pals.

Summarised: It's a generational generalisation of those coaxed into "picking a side"; similar things occur with all brands. But those of this particular age were most susceptible to Xbox hatred for this reason.

So born in the 80s, yet can't remember the bitter rivalry between Sega and Nintendo? Seriously? This has gone on for decades, please don't try to put in on current and last gen console owners only. That will just make you look uneducated and a little stupid.
---
"You got me there. I have always been an ass." - Compass
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/66038105?page=3
#100ImThe8thWonderPosted 5/17/2014 1:34:49 PM
Boy am I tired of all this blind victim mentality.

There is no Xbox specific hatred. There is competition-based hatred. If one of two rivals are in 1st, the second rival will be picked on. This is present in ANY form of competition, whether it be a product, sports team, whatever. Last gen, people on the 360 camp absolutely haunted PS fans when PS was dethroned. This is just the natural order of human behavior, nothing more.

Get over yourselves thinking aggression against the Xbox side is somehow unique.
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
Not everyone with a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.