Titanfall mark end of an era?

#1Mjs903Posted 5/16/2014 1:08:04 PM
Lets get something straight. Titanfall is the best multiplayer fps experience out there. Its amazing. Yet, its not selling half as well as call of duty ghosts (a game everyone proclaim sucks) and hasnt garnered as much hype as the recently announced Halo 5.

You can argue that the lack of a single player mode is keeping titanfall from striving but, most people wont ever touch campaign mode for a game like call of duty or battlefield. So whats going on?

Its a new gen right? Maybe the days of fps games ruling the land are behind us. Maybe people are ready for new unique experiences. Maybe fps games have run their course. Im not sure whats next but if you ask me I dont expect Halo 5 or the next call of duty to do much better than Titanfall.
#2TBONE_OGPosted 5/16/2014 1:11:16 PM
It's a new IP.
---
Always O.G.
#3ElemayowePosted 5/16/2014 1:12:54 PM
No games like CoD will continue to sell well due to armies of whiney 12 year olds that force their parents to buy ever iteration.

Even if older gamers realise the folly of the CoD series (beating a dead horse) hordes of preteen appear every year to fuel the flame. It'll die out eventually but not soon, same with BF.

Titanfall was another attempt at innovation quashed, and the lack of a single player mode didn't help its case.

That said however I would like to see a rise in RPGs , Japanese or Western, especially on the Xbox One, and more platformers, why MS have never fully utilised Rare's expertise in that area is a mystery that I think baffles a lot of people.
---
XBL: DeathOnSkates 3DS: 0602 - 6733 - 6087
#4HiddenRoarPosted 5/16/2014 1:13:36 PM
It's the principle.

It doesn't matter if folks touch the single campaign, they just want to know it has one.

Not to mention barebones multiplayer and a cheap lie about 'online campaign' which is nothing more than cutscenes.
#5TrickyPonyPosted 5/16/2014 1:13:53 PM
FPS are not fading, they're still the most popular and in demand genre by far. A new IP with Titanfall's sales is really good, the game has been a commercial success anyway you look at it
#6MJFJDPosted 5/16/2014 1:14:00 PM
Obviously this next gen will be the return of RTS dominance. ALL HAIL THE RTS GENRE!!
#7grampamurkedPosted 5/16/2014 1:16:13 PM
COD is a decades old franchise. How long has TF had to catch up?

Silly thread
---
Xbox GT: Grampa Murked U Steam ID: grampamurkedu PSN ID: GRAMPAMURKEDU
#8Ironman06Posted 5/16/2014 1:29:13 PM
TBONE_OG posted...
It's a new IP.

This, it's fanbase will only grow
---
"The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer." - Cunningham's Law
#9IemanderPosted 5/16/2014 1:37:21 PM(edited)
Seriously, Titanfall is a very bad value. It only has a handfull of game modes and a 15 maps.

Unreal Tournament 2004 has like 120 maps, 80 at release and you got another 40 for free. That's what a multiplayer only game should have. The next Unreal Tournament is even going to be a completely free game built in a community effort.

I'm sorry, but Titanfall succeeding would be a terrible sign to publishers that they can get away with pretty much anything (Like 10$ for 3 maps ffs).

I totally love the game, it's great fun, but it should retail at 15$, similar to other indie scoped games. Then it would get the attention it desperately needs.

I would also never pay for COD for just multiplayer unless that's indie priced. I'm fine with it as long as it has a very good single player campaign.
---
PC: i7-3820 | GTX 780 | 16GB DDR3 ---- Laptop: Dell Precision M6700 | i7-3740QM | Quadro K3000M | 16GB DDR3
360 | PS3 | WII | DS | 3DS | Vita
#10thefabregas22Posted 5/16/2014 1:35:46 PM
timesplitters is better
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: AdmiralClassy