Is it possible that because the PS4/Xbox 1 are being sold at a profit from the

#1ZombieAkanePosted 5/16/2014 6:07:25 PM
80/80

Is it possible that because the PS4/Xbox 1 are being sold at a profit instead of a loss such as last gen, that this gen will be shorter?

Less powerful hardware | Less expensive hardware | More profit for both Sony and Microsoft.

What if this gen only lasts 5-6 years, would you be content with that?

What if this becomes the new trend? 5-6 years from now release a PS5?

I am sure that by the year 2020, the middle range Nvidia card will be as powerful as a GTX 780 or possibly a 780ti.

Meaning that Sony/Xbox 1 can make some powerful machines.

ofc by then PC power will probably be supercomputer level, but that is besides the point.
---
[b]Should have named it the Xbox 720p, because when you see the pixels you turn 720 degrees and burn to death as you walk away.[/b]
#2Linksys_Posted 5/16/2014 6:11:41 PM
What?
#3LanternOfAshPosted 5/16/2014 6:23:01 PM
Yeah this logic doesn't make much sense. The longer they produce the more money they'll make. Launches are mad expensive.
---
Look, Mama! I'm on GameFAQs!
#4ElemayowePosted 5/16/2014 6:31:13 PM
I thought PS4 was being sold at a minor loss/very minor profit (either way not much money being made off them) and Xbox was at a slightly higher profit hence the $500 price tag.

Either way, more profit will result in longer Generations surely as over time the value of components will drop and they'll earn even more money? So why bother making a new system sooner?

Consoles aren't where the profit comes from anyway, it's software sales so your argument is irrelevant.
---
XBL: DeathOnSkates 3DS: 0602 - 6733 - 6087
#5ZombieAkane(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 6:57:06 PM
Elemayowe posted...
I thought PS4 was being sold at a minor loss/very minor profit (either way not much money being made off them) and Xbox was at a slightly higher profit hence the $500 price tag.

Either way, more profit will result in longer Generations surely as over time the value of components will drop and they'll earn even more money? So why bother making a new system sooner?

Consoles aren't where the profit comes from anyway, it's software sales so your argument is irrelevant.

Thank you for such a well informed reply.
---
[b]Should have named it the Xbox 720p, because when you see the pixels you turn 720 degrees and burn to death as you walk away.[/b]
#6ZombieAkane(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2014 1:30:54 AM
bump
---
#7innuendo1984Posted 5/17/2014 1:38:44 AM
ZombieAkane posted...
Is it possible that because the PS4/Xbox 1 are being sold at a profit instead of a loss

http://ps4daily.com/2013/09/sony-will-sell-the-playstation-4-at-a-loss/
#8RyuuHou25Posted 5/17/2014 2:34:14 AM
It costs a lot for R&D on new consoles. For one thing, you have to create a whole new OS generally and then implement the ability for apps and other features to work within that OS. Typically they also have custom made chips since the architecture and hardware works differently from a PC.

Then you have controller redesigns which MS themselves spent over 100 million on making this gen.

It benefits the companies for generations to last longer, not shorter. They are able to manufacture the consoles for less and less each year, meaning less losses to recoup, if any. The install base also grows each year, meaning their games have the potential to sell more, earning them more, as well as more subscriptions and what not.

Truthfully, if gamers didn't demand better technology/graphics and what not, they probably would still have us with PS2s and original Xbox consoles. But they can't do that of course, as eventually people lose interest and demand better games.

If anything, I see this generation lasting longer. The graphical jumps are getting smaller due to diminishing returns and what not. What they're capable of making games look like now are also incredibly impressive to the average gamer.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqz_tbBr2ts
#9Spetsnaz420Posted 5/17/2014 2:38:54 AM
They will remain in production as long as they are relevant. If that happened to be only 5 years then that's OK with me
---
Searching for my long lost twin, is this you?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#10DarthFloatyPosted 5/17/2014 3:08:43 AM
I'm pretty sure all 3 consoles are being sold at a loss this gen. I _believe_ I heard that going into this cycle.