Why would you want a console to fail?

#1Mi1itantPosted 5/17/2014 4:13:21 AM
I am a long time gamer or if it makes more sense I have been gaming for a long time. The first console I played was the Atari 2600 (my older brothers) and it blew me away. I had never been so impressed by an event since my mother gave birth to me! My first console was a Commodore 64 which my father bought for me and I have fond memories of loading cassettes onto the machine to get the games run.

Since then I have owned (and still have in my possession albeit packed away in the attic) the NES, Master System, GB, GBA, SNES, Megadrive, Neogeo, N64, PS1, PS2, DS, PSP, XBOX, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, X360, PS3, 3DS. Throughout all these console cycles I was also an avid PC gamer also.

Now with the current Gen of consoles I bought the Wii U a few months after release. And my wife bought me a PS4 as a reward for stopping my smoking habit. I have not bought a X1 for a few different reasons. Initially after E3 I was put off the X1 and it did make my cancel my pre-order but up until the release after the changes they made I was thinking about buying one. The main reason for not buying one was after getting a PS4 and looking at my steam catalog and my game backlog I realised I have too much to get through so I decided to wait. However I still want an X1 and am looking forward to getting one in the future.

I buy games for the platform I feel like will give me the best experience. FPS I tend to buy on PC and Fighters for consoles. Sometimes I buy certain games for a console because my friends play it on the same one. The point is the choice can be different for every game.

Throughout my life I have had great experiences and fond memories of every console I have played on, and for the life of me I cant understand why someone would "Hate" a console for no other reason than you own the other one, or because you don't want to play it you feel the need to bash other people who do.

Why would you want a console to fail? Failure is not good for an industry with only 3 players we should be wanting them to succeed. If you don't like a console you dont need to buy it, you have that choice.
#2LightdaysPosted 5/17/2014 4:15:54 AM
Don't want a cute console to fail it would hurt the game industry''.
#3kennyynnooPosted 5/17/2014 4:16:52 AM
The trolls get off on failure, they have an ocd about the idea of failure. Nobody with average+ intelligence wants a console to fail since they thrive off each other. Not to mention without each other multiplats would not exist as much and quality would go down.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#4LightdaysPosted 5/17/2014 4:24:50 AM
Mi1itant posted...

my wife bought me a PS4 as a reward for stopping my smoking habit.

Whoa, Holy cow your wife did that for you.. Sweet @_@
#5Mi1itant(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2014 4:26:18 AM
Lightdays posted...
Mi1itant posted...

380 is not bad for saving my life....
#6HenryKazukaPosted 5/17/2014 4:57:28 AM
The only reason I'd want something to fail is when it is dragging down the industry.
On-disc DLC, microtransactions, always online requirement, rushing games, not giving freedom to developers (oh look at that, EA does all of that), pay-wall to access online, etc.

TC, you named a lot of consoles that were popular and brought something unique to the table, but you didn't mention the over saturation of the console market before 1983, which almost destroyed the industry in America.

Obviously nowadays it's highly unlikely that would happen again (because there are only 3 major console developers), but both the Xbox One, with the recent ditching of the Kinect, and the PS4 don't bring anything new (at least until they develop virtual reality or something) and they are lagging behind the PC. The Wii U at least tries to innovate with the tablet controller and the quality of the games hasn't declined, although it would be nice to see new IPs.

I don't want them to fail because both Sony with the PS3's launch and MS with the Xbox One's launch showed me that they get overconfident really easily.

However if MS actually implemented the always-online requirement which alienates a huge part of the gamer community, then I'd have been more than happy with just having only PS4 and Wii U this gen.
---
Hard work may pay in the long run, but laziness always pays off right now!
#7kyncaniPosted 5/17/2014 5:02:56 AM
Mi1itant posted...
Lightdays posted...
Mi1itant posted...

380 is not bad for saving my life....

No way around it. Not smoking is much better than smoking.

And pretty much any other game console is better than the original Xbox One.
#8dnmtPosted 5/17/2014 5:18:37 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#96453Posted 5/17/2014 6:42:37 AM
dnmt posted...
MS tried to murder gaming as we know it. It's only fitting their console meet a similarly terrible end.

That's a little extreme. Some of the policies were a little out there, but I doubt it would have killed it as we know it.

Over-saturation of DLC and lack of polish/dev time however are having a detrimental impact I would say
---
Meine hosen sind auf feuer!
#10dnmtPosted 5/17/2014 6:45:29 AM
6453 posted...
dnmt posted...
MS tried to murder gaming as we know it. It's only fitting their console meet a similarly terrible end.

That's a little extreme. Some of the policies were a little out there, but I doubt it would have killed it as we know it.

Over-saturation of DLC and lack of polish/dev time however are having a detrimental impact I would say

No hyperbole here; they tried to kill second hand sales which is a huge, huge market. Attempted murder is still a crime.