Why would you want a console to fail?

#116453Posted 5/17/2014 7:54:56 AM
I'll concede that second hand sales are a large market, but I've honestly maybe bought a dozen used games in my whole life. Unless the games are as old as dirt the used price is typically only $5 cheaper. Plus, the lack of revenue to the original dev hurts the overall industry while EB/Gamestop lines their pockets.

And personally, I would have to drive farther to get it, defeating any cost savings on the game itself.
---
Meine hosen sind auf feuer!
#12Thewinner14Posted 5/17/2014 8:02:01 AM
A used game was once bought new. Companies do not and should not get to double dip. The "the used game market is killing us!" Is bs rhetoric to place the blame on the consumer and not where it really belongs: on the publishers and their ridiculous budgets.

Anyway, any business (in a non-monopoly market) that attempts to mold the consumer around it's product, instead of molding its product around the consumer is setting itself up to fail. And they deserve it if they do.
---
"Let your Kingdom come" - Matthew 6:10
#13MajorPoopStormPosted 5/17/2014 8:07:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YAZBIpr.gif
---
"You're talking to my PS4 console all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with your kinect."
Kazuo Hirai
#146453Posted 5/17/2014 8:08:32 AM
Thewinner14 posted...
A used game was once bought new. Companies do not and should not get to double dip. The "the used game market is killing us!" Is bs rhetoric to place the blame on the consumer and not where it really belongs: on the publishers and their ridiculous budgets.

Anyway, any business (in a non-monopoly market) that attempts to mold the consumer around it's product, instead of molding its product around the consumer is setting itself up to fail. And they deserve it if they do.

Just pointing out that Gamestop double (and triple) dips on used game sales. Like I said I don't buy used most of the time unless the game is out of print. Half the time if you wait 6-8 months the new prices drops to below the used price anyways.

But I do agree that most of the fault lies with the devs. Make good games and people won't trade them in hopefully. Although in today's society that seems rare.
---
#15Thewinner14Posted 5/17/2014 8:14:02 AM
Retailers of used goods is a bit different, as that is their business. Even brand new copies sitting on the shelf have already been bought and paid for by the retailer. The only difference between a used game sale and new game sale is how much money the retailer makes. The wholesaler has already received their payment for both copies.
---
"Let your Kingdom come" - Matthew 6:10
#16richboy900Posted 5/17/2014 8:17:58 AM
Despite the Dreamcasts failure, it was awesome. Some decent games as well.
#176453Posted 5/17/2014 8:18:42 AM
Thewinner14 posted...
Retailers of used goods is a bit different, as that is their business. Even brand new copies sitting on the shelf have already been bought and paid for by the retailer. The only difference between a used game sale and new game sale is how much money the retailer makes. The wholesaler has already received their payment for both copies.

100% true.

I'm just saying i'd rather buy a good game new. Which again falls on the devs to make good games, which is hit or miss (and has been forever).
---
#18quincy2000aPosted 5/17/2014 8:29:55 AM
to prove a point...

to teach a lesson...

Those are the two that jumped out at me.
---
http://www.thehdstandard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/720p-vs-1080p.png
And, yes, I visit Eurogamer's Digital Foundry for X1/PS4 comparisons.
#19PackersXLVPosted 5/17/2014 8:38:38 AM
I'll just say this

Anyone who wants a console to fail is not a real gamer and have no place around games in general.
#20bridog346Posted 5/17/2014 8:52:17 AM
Because fanboys have some serious mental issues
---
Like a child with leukemia, this never gets old