Why would you want a console to fail?

#41Dante666999Posted 5/17/2014 11:30:39 AM
I don't think it's a large amount of people that actively want either console to fail. It's just the vocal minority. Most people are probably pretty indifferent to what other people spend their money on, but they're not going to run around and talk about it on forums. So what we're left with is the fanboys of each side that feel the need to justify their purchase by tearing down the other half as if there's some point that can be proven by branding up and shouting nonsense at anyone who doesn't agree with you.
#42gogogodzillaPosted 5/17/2014 11:47:35 AM
dnmt posted...
MS tried to murder gaming as we know it. It's only fitting their console meet a similarly terrible end.

Agreed.

Trying to kill used game sales, the ability to bring your games over to a friend's house to play on their system (online DRM checks), and placing a camera in your home to collect info on you for advertisers (NuAds)...

...all are antithetical to gaming.

All that was more in-line with the dystopia of 1984 than anything else.

And I don't want an Orwellian gaming experience, so I advocated against the Xbox1. Nowadays, they've backtracked... but the trust is gone, so I'll still not support them.

*BUT* I'll stop advocating against them unless they try and bring more Orwellian features to their gaming 'vision'.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#43billOrileyPosted 5/17/2014 11:56:07 AM
hmm lets see. Sony egos got so huge in 06 when the ps3 came out. They got their asses humbled and they realize that the consumers always wins.

Ms got a big ego now, does 180s, still blame their fans, and still try to insult the gamer's intelligence. They deserve everything they're getting now. phil spencer is their only hope, at least he gets it.
---
**** it, we'll do it live!
#44MuryoPosted 5/17/2014 12:55:04 PM
HenryKazuka posted...
The only reason I'd want something to fail is when it is dragging down the industry.
On-disc DLC, microtransactions, always online requirement, rushing games, not giving freedom to developers (oh look at that, EA does all of that), pay-wall to access online, etc.

TC, you named a lot of consoles that were popular and brought something unique to the table, but you didn't mention the over saturation of the console market before 1983, which almost destroyed the industry in America.

Obviously nowadays it's highly unlikely that would happen again (because there are only 3 major console developers), but both the Xbox One, with the recent ditching of the Kinect, and the PS4 don't bring anything new (at least until they develop virtual reality or something) and they are lagging behind the PC. The Wii U at least tries to innovate with the tablet controller and the quality of the games hasn't declined, although it would be nice to see new IPs.

I don't want them to fail because both Sony with the PS3's launch and MS with the Xbox One's launch showed me that they get overconfident really easily.

However if MS actually implemented the always-online requirement which alienates a huge part of the gamer community, then I'd have been more than happy with just having only PS4 and Wii U this gen.

---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#45HaeravonPosted 5/17/2014 12:58:11 PM
Wanting the Xbox One-and all the bad ideas and arrogance that came with it-to fail and wanting the entire Xbox brand to fail are two different things. I want Nintendo and Xbox to fail just enough for them to realize that they screwed up-and fix things. You know, like Sony did with the PS3?
---
Join the gaming community at www.haeravon.com.
#46pblimp360Posted 5/17/2014 1:26:18 PM
kennyynnoo posted...
The trolls get off on failure, they have an ocd about the idea of failure. Nobody with average+ intelligence wants a console to fail since they thrive off each other. Not to mention without each other multiplats would not exist as much and quality would go down.

Yeah, this is so true.

Great post btw, TC. We as gamers need more intelligent ones like yourself.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#47popping4itPosted 5/17/2014 1:35:58 PM
dnmt posted...
MS tried to murder gaming as we know it. It's only fitting their console meet a similarly terrible end.

lol just hilarious that you hate on ms when sony is actually following through on the same policy you deemed unaccepatable. look at playstation now its absolutely a way to make your old copies of games useless, make you repurchase and unsellable.
---
whens mahvel?
#48Shik_stickPosted 5/17/2014 5:20:52 PM
popping4it posted...
dnmt posted...

lol just hilarious that you hate on ms when sony is actually following through on the same policy you deemed unaccepatable. look at playstation now its absolutely a way to make your old copies of games useless, make you repurchase and unsellable.

Hmm...if you really think PSnow and Xbox's original policy are the same thing, or even remotely similar, you need to have your head checked.
---
Teach me about bozongas!-Jude Mathis
Best game of 2013 , The Last of Us. Sony is on point!
#49SubSeenixPosted 5/17/2014 5:37:25 PM
Microsoft was bad for the industry
They don't belong in it - They try to buy their way into the industry and hurting others with it
Not with their great first party or anything they do for gaming...No they spend billions of money earned with their broken OS on Developers to keep them away from Sony or PC.

Wait for E3 and see their money hatting on games that would help the PS4 insanely while making everyone angry at Microsoft and not selling at all on the X1(J-RPGs and other things)
#50IroncondorzPosted 5/17/2014 6:24:17 PM
Thewinner14 posted...
So should we close down all used bookstores, video stores, music stores, and car dealerships too?

Quite frankly the industry made the mess themselves because the crap they churn out has a replay value of around 0, and they obsolete multiplayer in a year anyway.

And to answer your question, yes it is fair to buy a used copy because they made their money when it was sold as new. They are entitled to the money from the sale of the new copy. If I want to resell my copy and someone wants to buy it (for any price we agree on) that's fair.

Like I said, I only buy new and very rarely will I resell, but the used game industry rhetoric is bull, and serves solely to shift blame.

Video games are not the same as used cars. There is a large risk in buying used cars as they can become completely useless due to mechanical failure. Car manufacturers also have a huge revenue stream in selling replacement parts to those used cars. Video games don't need repairs, they don't need to be maintained. Used games are the exact same new and used, so there is no benefit to buying new in unless the developers force it into a game which everybody hates.

Used bookstores and used music stores are nearly non existent. The largest market for used books are textbooks and that is a whole different can of worms there. Used video stores aren't much of a factor either due to streaming services.

Now, I never said there was no greed component from the side of developers because there very much is, that is their motivation for creating the games after all. All I said was it is unfair for Gamestop profit from them when they have nothing to do with the creation of the games. The strongest determination of a game's value should be between the developer and the consumer. I have no ill will towards Gamestop either, but they have went past a simple game store and are now something negative to gaming in general. When selling used games is becoming more profitable than making those very same games, there is a problem.

Just because a few used game sales from individuals really wouldn't have an impact on anything doesn't mean Gamestop and now Best Buy, Walmart don't have a dramatic impact on things. This is no different than a few cars not having an impact on the world, but when you have millions upon millions of them around you need regulations for all sorts of things.

You may want/have certain rights, but when people begin to abuse them, then they get taken away. I believe there is an internet term for it: "This is why we can't have nice things."