My only Concern with the Kinect-free Xbox One

#1Shik_stickPosted 5/18/2014 12:00:29 PM
Let me start by saying, again, that i believe it is a good thing they are changing so much again. However, i can't help but feel like it MAY be a bad move to remove the Kinect in some aspects.

I say that because the Kinect was the ONLY thing that made the system sat out. Like it or not, this is an absolute fact. Without the Kinect the Xbox One is essentially just a more powerful 360 with an HDMI pass through. That's all it has.

The problem is the Kinect, while offering a lot of cool features for convenience and multi-media use, never offered any meaningful gaming experiences or features. Which is the root of all of the problems because this is a gaming console and they used the Kinect to market it as a multi-media device. So take that away and the system has nothing to set itself apart from the competition. Personally i am okay with that because i never wanted any of the kinect uses on a game console bu a lot of others see this as a huge step back(and rightfully so). So really, what sets the Xbox One apart from not only teh PS4 and WiiU, but even the 360?

Look at the competition for a minute.

Sony has the innovation with the DS4. the light bar, like it or not, is cool. Especially when used to signify something in game like your health level, or changing colors depending on what powers you are using in DCUO. The touchpad as well. They have remote play, they have PSnow coming out and VR. These things all bring something new to the table.

The WiiU...well the gamepad is actually pretty nifty. I can't tell you how much fun i had with that thing while playing Mario with 4 of my friends and using the gamepad to help or hinder them. Even the MiiVerse is kind of cool.

So, as i said...what does the Xbox One have to make it stand out for gaming now? Or ever, since the Kinect was never used for gaming in a meaningful way.

This isn't trolling or bashing so don't get into that. I am asking an honest question and would like input and discussion from some of you guys. As i think this will play a big factor in the longevity of the Xbox one.
---
Teach me about bozongas!-Jude Mathis
Best game of 2013 , The Last of Us. Sony is on point!
#2-Oath-Posted 5/18/2014 12:21:58 PM
Choices are better for us . They still have the Kinect and will continue to have support for it. We just have a choice in the matter now.
---
3DS FC: JMO 0834-1793-8249
#3BroBrahFettPosted 5/18/2014 12:23:11 PM
What a story mark
#4s8dsm73rx432dgzPosted 5/18/2014 12:29:08 PM
As has been said a million times before, MS hasn't established why we should want Kinect. If they do, it will sell the Kinect itself. Until then, forcing consumers to buy it on the promise that we will be glad we did is the stupidest marketing campaign.
---
Anarchy Burger (Hold the Government)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qct2Hycw7Tw
#5HiddenRoarPosted 5/18/2014 12:35:17 PM
-Oath- posted...
Choices are better for us . They still have the Kinect and will continue to have support for it. We just have a choice in the matter now.

Of course Microsoft themselves will develop games for the Kinect, but folks are talking about the real source of games: 3rd Party.

Nintendo can do their own thing with their peripheral (now the game pad) because their 1st party titles are better than the other 2 companies. Microsoft has a lot less and is dependent on 3rd party.

So now 3rd party has to develop for 2 systems, one for with Kinect and another for without. With a 100% attachment rate, they had some semblance of reason to add Kinect functionality to their games.

Now that it's split (and if the remaining 360 fanbase goes Kinectless, more to one side), devs will just make standard controller games with maybe 1 or 2 optional kinect functions unless MS throws money at them to make Kinect a standard, something that hurts profits and angers investors.
#6rEaPeR_2k4Posted 5/18/2014 12:50:04 PM
Using the kinect to navigate is a blast. Also having it for visual recognition to sign in is pretty hot. I don't see people enjoying navigation without the kinect, as it makes it easier to navigate the sub menus. Some actions you can skip several step when utilizing the kinect over the controller, but hey some will never know now. Hope this works out for MS
---
"Stealing cable is a victimless crime...Like punching someone in the dark." GT:bEg 4 m3Rcy
#7BilliePilgrimPosted 5/18/2014 1:02:06 PM
Shik_stick posted...
I say that because the Kinect was the ONLY thing that made the system sat out. Like it or not, this is an absolute fact. Without the Kinect the Xbox One is essentially just a more powerful 360 with an HDMI pass through. That's all it has.

Stand out in a bad way. It was the only console trying to charge me for something I didn't want or need.

The problem is the Kinect, while offering a lot of cool features for convenience and multi-media use, never offered any meaningful gaming experiences or features. Which is the root of all of the problems because this is a gaming console and they used the Kinect to market it as a multi-media device. So take that away and the system has nothing to set itself apart from the competition. Personally i am okay with that because i never wanted any of the kinect uses on a game console bu a lot of others see this as a huge step back(and rightfully so). So really, what sets the Xbox One apart from not only teh PS4 and WiiU, but even the 360?

The multimedia control will still be there, an Kinect-free SKU won't change that. As for gaming uses for the Kinect, in spite of what the xbox camp will tell you, the gaming applications need to rolled out before the Kinect adoption rates increase. Forcing people to buy a product on the promise that it will probably be used for gaming in a way that gamers might enjoy isn't a good way to do business. In other words, you need to give people the option, then give them a reason to take advantage of the option, no force them with the promise of a reason.

Sony has the innovation with the DS4. the light bar, like it or not, is cool. Especially when used to signify something in game like your health level, or changing colors depending on what powers you are using in DCUO. The touchpad as well. They have remote play, they have PSnow coming out and VR. These things all bring something new to the table.

All of which is innovation done more or less right. Adding usefulness onto services and devices that people already like and use. Force feeding an alternate controller to gamers and charging them $100 for the honor of being shook down isn't innovation.

So, as i said...what does the Xbox One have to make it stand out for gaming now? Or ever, since the Kinect was never used for gaming in a meaningful way.

A console, or really any gaming platform, should sell itself on the merits of the games it has and what you can do with it. How you can control all of that is icing on the cake, but shouldn't be a significant point in the debate.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.4| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://i.imgur.com/9bAOZZq.jpg
#8kyncaniPosted 5/18/2014 6:02:55 PM
BilliePilgrim posted...
Shik_stick posted...

Stand out in a bad way. It was the only console trying to charge me for something I didn't want or need.

So now the Xbox One is nothing more than a simple PS3.5 or Xbox 360.2
A game console
Basically what it should have been from the very beginning.