Kind of worried about console gaming's future

#1leelee3105Posted 5/19/2014 8:15:13 AM(edited)
I have no idea how well the Xbox division is doing as far as turning a profit, or nintendo for that matter. I do everyone on gamefaqs has been saying that Playstation is doing well, and that it is the only thing keeping Sony afloat at the moment. Well looks like they have been dead wrong! Playstation itself actually lost 78 million this past fiscal year. So with it looking like the PS boat is sunk, and it is selling the best, is console gaming in trouble all together? I sure hope not, because ive never been able to get in to PC gaming.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/18/sony-delivers-125-billion-loss-playstation-busines.aspx
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#2GeistPosted 5/19/2014 8:21:55 AM
What you should tell your self is they are just toys and regardless of who makes what you will always be able to game in life. So stop worrying, play some games, and let the company men care about everything else.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#3leelee3105(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 8:23:43 AM
well thats the thing. I dont care who makes the console as long as I can still buy one.
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
#4robert_rangersuPosted 5/19/2014 8:23:59 AM
Geist posted...
What you should tell your self is they are just toys and regardless of who makes what you will always be able to game in life. So stop worrying, play some games, and let the company men care about everything else.

Sound Advice.
---
Couldn't care less = you don't care one single bit.
Could care less = you do care, at least a little.
#5chicken8orPosted 5/19/2014 8:37:03 AM
All gaming companies post terrible fiscal year numbers in the same year that their consoles are launched. We won't know which direction the console world is going to go in for another couple of years.

Launching consoles is extremely expensive, but that is not where the money is won/lost. The software, peripherals, and subscriptions are where the money is and we won't really start seeing those numbers for what they truly are for another couple of years.

Only time will tell and not enough time has passed.
---
GT: Chicken8or -Epic Halo 4 moment below!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2_eKmm7o8
#6kakarot-uchihaPosted 5/19/2014 8:51:21 AM
consoles are NOT dead! it's true i love them and wish them well but this isn't wishful thinking. they are smashing every sales projection from the industry as a whole to last gen, in THIS economy. keep in mind for sony the ps4 is sold at profit. pretty much the first half of the ps3 was sold at a loss. i don't personally know when that balanced out but i'm thinking recently. this gen nothing has to eat that, like the late-gen sales, at the same time sales are fantastic. remember all the consoles are dead articles, guess so huh? stomping all over last gen.

i think hardly any diskinected box's are gonna sell but theres almost $150 profit at 399 so theres that.
#7kennyynnooPosted 5/19/2014 8:56:29 AM
Console sales doesn't mean doing well. Sony itself is not doing great financially due to its other investments. Its a launch year for Sony and MS still, launch years blow. As for Nintendo, no idea, not my kind of games.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#8leelee3105(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 8:57:09 AM
kakarot-uchiha posted...
consoles are NOT dead! it's true i love them and wish them well but this isn't wishful thinking. they are smashing every sales projection from the industry as a whole to last gen, in THIS economy. keep in mind for sony the ps4 is sold at profit. pretty much the first half of the ps3 was sold at a loss. i don't personally know when that balanced out but i'm thinking recently. this gen nothing has to eat that, like the late-gen sales, at the same time sales are fantastic. remember all the consoles are dead articles, guess so huh? stomping all over last gen.

i think hardly any diskinected box's are gonna sell but theres almost $150 profit at 399 so theres that.

so sony is probably the only company that needs to worry since they dont have the year or 2 to bite the bullet until their console starts turning a profit?
---
#9kakarot-uchihaPosted 5/19/2014 9:57:23 AM
leelee3105 posted...
kakarot-uchiha posted...

so sony is probably the only company that needs to worry since they dont have the year or 2 to bite the bullet until their console starts turning a profit?

idk, maybe i said it wrong. i don't think they have to worry at all. i was saying that regarding console sales this new gen that for the first time ps and ms are selling at a profit. even the 360 started at a loss. so on top of excellent sales they're making hardware profit. and any profit is better than absorbing losses like past gens, even though last gen led to profit later.

i guess i could disclaim that i think the ps4 will certainly outdo ps2. i don't know if just the ps4 can support the total industry growth to more total console sales than last gen, but i wouldn't wet myself if we heard 500M in like 15 yrs.
i think xbox one is gonna have 5-digit months and maybe a 4-digit week or two except for halo. its just my opinion but removing the kinect so they can sell to china and the 26 new regions was like ms laying down there king in chess. i could totally be wrong but my gut says its dead, they conceded, or that's at least how it feels for them.
that leaves nintendo, i know THEY probably think of the wii u as a ds-like console but it's not. i think if they just make a ds console and actually MARKET it like that, make wii u games playable on it."Wii S" is an ingenuous name which sells itself. ds hardware is tiny, a memory card-like pass-through for ds games is practically free for them to include. I guarantee the Wii S would put nintendo back to the snes, gamecube spirit and exceed wii sales.

i know i'm right about nintendo, everything else is just educated guesses. it isn't even a full year of sales of these new ones so we'll see. but i see growth.
#10leelee3105(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 10:07:09 AM
well ok cool. all that sounds legit to me
---