I honestly wonder whether deep down, most x1 buyers regret it

#1Chaos_EvolvedPosted 5/22/2014 10:10:24 PM
So inb4 all the PS4/PC fanboy, xbox hater, etc. Let me start by listing my consoles in order of my life:

SNES - N64 - Gamecube - PS2 - Xbox - 360 - PS4

With PC in between xbox and 360, but never played much on it besides indies.

So onto my point. The following is more about MS's PR and marketing philosophy, not about games, hardware specs, etc.

Feb 2013: PS4 event was very meh for a next gen console event

Feb-April: rumors flying around that next gen consoles will require internet connection

Early april: MS employee confirms via twitter that MS's new console will require always on

May: Disastrous television-themed console event, and MS confirms always on

June: E3 happens, we are told we need to buy the kinect with the box

In the months of May and June, I honestly had my jaw drop repeatedly at MS' attitude towards its consumers. So, at first, in the announcement event, I figured "well okay, they aren't targeting the core gamer because they want to expand". That felt a bit unfair (as the core players, shouldn't we get some gesture of appreciation?). But really, the interviews; those were it for me. Don Mattrick told Goeff Keighley of gametrailers (sorry if I misspelled his name) something like "we have a console for people with no internet, it's called Xbox 360." Are you ****** kiddding me, I thought. Also when angry joe interviewed major nelson, not only did Nelson pretty much BS about the necessity of the kinect being attached, but he was dismissive of every claim joe made about the general sentiment of gamers. That's just messed up. You can't just answer a question which criticizes your product by saying "you're focusing on the negative, let me point out this positive". No, the negative is significant, you can't just change the subject.

So, I'm just curious, how many of you have actually followed the release of this console? Don't get me wrong, Sony was in all likelihood considering the DRM thing too, and saw the backlash and quietly stepped away from it. I'm not saying one side is completely innocent. It's just the way MS handled every criticisms they got, and to top it ALL OFF, now their announcement for the kinect-less xbox actually tries to make it seem like they are on the core gamer's side. That's frankly disgusting.
#2LooksLikeRainPosted 5/22/2014 10:12:29 PM
No.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.
#3-Oath-Posted 5/22/2014 10:19:30 PM
They should have done all that they are doing now at the start.
---
3DS FC: JMO 0834-1793-8249
#4SunDevil77Posted 5/22/2014 10:21:45 PM
It's nice to think things.
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#5mokmuudPosted 5/22/2014 11:23:55 PM(edited)
I don't regret owning one. But I got my Xbox One and 7 games for some Magic the Gathering cards.
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#6sammogardPosted 5/22/2014 10:41:03 PM
I don't regret my xbox one. i regret i didn't buy one sooner.
#7Eamon696Posted 5/22/2014 10:44:46 PM
I don't regret buying a Xbox One. Sure, I wish I had the money to also own a PS4, but that's different.

I'm sure if I had a PS4, I'd feel the same way considering there is some great games on the X1 right now, and coming in the future
---
Seattle Seahawks.
#8HorridhalPosted 5/22/2014 10:48:58 PM
Sony was in all likelihood considering the DRM thing too, and saw the backlash and quietly stepped away from it.

There is no factual evidence supporting this claim. In fact most evidence points to the contrary. Had they been planning DRM the PS4 OS would have had it programmed in and the PS4 would have required a day 1 patch to remove it.

Besides that, though, this is a good lesson for console makers to learn. You don't **** with your user base and negative PR has a plethora of repercussions. We no longer live in a world where any publicity is good publicity.

The other part of it was that even with them reversing most of the decisions they still acted like twits. They sent the general message of "I guess we will change this stuff, but we shouldn't have to, you guys suck for making us do it."

It was a botched launch from the moment it started and MS is only just now starting to separate themselves from the negative stigma they had. They have a good guy, in terms of listening to the consumers, in charge of the system now though and it should be a different story moving forward.

That said all it takes is a few more missteps to ruin the good will they currently have. I hope they don't make them.
---
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
Have a real point please.
#9pblimp360Posted 5/22/2014 10:54:43 PM
I was here from the start. I love my purchase and find this topic silly.

Back to Wolfenstein now.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#10Xboxstation4Posted 5/22/2014 10:56:07 PM
Lol who only purchases one console for an entire gen?