Xbox One - My Thoughts (If you care)

#1User201322Posted 5/24/2014 1:05:09 AM
Hi all

I loved the Xbox 360 and it's controller to death and was extremely excited for this console before it come out, but it seems like it is a step back in most parts.

I have a 720p TV, so that makes no difference that the games are "lol900p" to me at this point, until I upgrade my TV.

What is good is that on Dead Rising 3, while people say it's only dynamic 720p and it could be achieved on the 360, the amount of zombies on screen wouldnít be possible on the 360 in my opinion. also with Forza 5 it looked really good, just got boring with lack of tracks but I hope this will be sorted with an ultimate edition that includes all the DLC on even Forza 6. Fifa is a big improvement over last gen, too. So the gameplay and graphics side I'm actually very impressed with.

Now for the negative side.

Everything else on this system seems harder to use. Maybe I'm just getting old but every small thing seems like a hassle.

-DVD playback with the media remote. On the 360 you could stretch 4:3 videos to 16:9 from the menu, to get rid of the black bars from the side. Also, now using the media remote, if youíre watching a TV series on DVD, you go back to the menu and you canít control the DVD front end anymore as the play/stop menu will not disappear, so youíre controlling that and not the DVD menu. So you have to close the Blu-Ray app and open it again to select another episode. Very inconvenient.

-Now thereís the game file size. Why on earth is COD Ghosts 40GB? It doesnít look that much better than the 360 version. I canít see where this size comes from. I imagine itís the same on PS4 and PC so not just moaning about the ONE version but it seems a lot to me. Is it uncompressed audio/textures?

-Game installs. I love how the games update themselves in the background with instant on. This is a huge improvement to the 360 way where it signed you out of Xbox Live to download an 8MB patch. Especially if you were in party chat as it ruined the flow. But there should be an option to begin installing a game, then turning off the console to let it finish installing then automatically power off. I would have installed RYSE before going to bed and played it now, but I have to wait for it to install now.

-Then we have the game cases, who put those the wrong way round? Itís been the other way round since I remember, that was just changing for changeís sake.

So to conclude, Iím not a ďfanboyĒ, Iíve had PS1, PS2, 360 and the ONE. I only buy 1 console per generation as I donít find the need to buy a console for exclusives, I just pick whichever one looks like it will have the better overall line-up that interests me, and I loved Dead Rising so I opted for the ONE. Plus I preferred the 360 controller to the Dualshock/SixAxis controller, but now I understand the PS4 controller is really good. I just feel that this console could have been a lot better if these features were added. I know they said they couldnít just put the 360ís features in as it is a different code/OS structure, but come one, this stuff should have been here since before the launch. I just hope weíre not waiting too much longer, as with each monthly update theyíre improving the system a lot. Iím worried that the Blu-Ray app/Media Remote will not be updated to fix this as I believe Microsoft probably think ďitís all about Netflix now anywayĒ.

I donít know, just my thoughts.
#2crynryanPosted 5/24/2014 3:01:42 AM
What is good is that on Dead Rising 3, while people say it's only dynamic 720p and it could be achieved on the 360, the amount of zombies on screen wouldnít be possible on the 360 in my opinion.

People just say that because it doesn't look insanely better than they thought it would. But remember, people have unbelievable expectations.

Everything else on this system seems harder to use. Maybe I'm just getting old but every small thing seems like a hassle.

Part of Microsoft's way of streamlining everything. They want everything to have the same experience, no matter the device. The only drawback is they make things harder to use unless you've used it before. For example, nothing tells you to press "Menu" to get to the settings.

Why on earth is COD Ghosts 40GB? It doesnít look that much better than the 360 version. I canít see where this size comes from. I imagine itís the same on PS4 and PC so not just moaning about the ONE version but it seems a lot to me. Is it uncompressed audio/textures?

Uncompressed audio, textures, higher res character models/environments/etc. What they probably did was create everything for the new consoles (textures, audio, etc), and then downscaled/compressed them in order to work on the old consoles. It'll be a while before developers will actually need all that space on the disc for actual game data, but until then expect uncompressed everything.

Then we have the game cases, who put those the wrong way round? Itís been the other way round since I remember, that was just changing for changeís sake.

They just probably wanted to be different. Not a problem at all, just helps differentiate the cases from each other.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#3vormisPosted 5/24/2014 4:43:12 AM
I agree with much of your assessment.

The funny thing to me is this. I was actually excited about the non-gaming possibilities. Everyone complained that the system wasn't for gamers. Ironically, the XB1 pales in comparison in nearly every non-gaming category from the 360.

I find myself using my 360 for everything non-gaming related and the XB1 for most of the newer games.

Saying that, it is great to see that MS is listening to it's consumers and updating everything. The party system and having to snap everything is beyond frustrating for me. I find myself more secluded on the XB1 than the 360 - everything is just a pain in the ass.
#4crynryanPosted 5/24/2014 4:48:18 AM
vormis posted...
The party system and having to snap everything is beyond frustrating for me.

Is it frustrating because of how you have to snap something, or is it frustrating because it's always taking up a part of your screen? Either way, use kinect and just tell it to snap what you want, and tell it to unsnap when you're done.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#5kennyynnooPosted 5/24/2014 4:59:18 AM
I thought they made game installs playable sooner. Wolfenstein was playable after like 10mins I heard. I know when I played it was at 54% when I tried abd it played.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#6Foreign ObjectsPosted 5/24/2014 5:02:12 AM
I've never understood why people stretch video to make it fit a frame. It just makes everything look weird.
---
etc
#7User201322(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 5:10:11 AM
Yeah Ryse said "Ready to Start" but I got to the menu, selected the campaign and it said "installing" and had a progress bar there. If it's bit ready to be played then just let it finish. It shouldn't say ready if it means you can begin playing. I guess it literally meant "start" as in get to the menu then.

And I find the stretch option looked fine. It didn't look out of proportion at all for me. It was so much better than the black bars at the side.
#8spacejamjordanzPosted 5/24/2014 6:03:55 AM
User201322 posted...
Yeah Ryse said "Ready to Start" but I got to the menu, selected the campaign and it said "installing" and had a progress bar there. If it's bit ready to be played then just let it finish. It shouldn't say ready if it means you can begin playing. I guess it literally meant "start" as in get to the menu then.

I never understood that either. That happened to me too. Why even let me launch the damn game if I can't actually play yet? That was kinda stupid to me.
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#9GeistPosted 5/24/2014 6:10:56 AM
So many new users, so little room left on my ignore list.
---
For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!
#10BeefEasterPosted 5/24/2014 6:50:05 AM
I'm about to blow your mind

if you hold the game cases upside down they open just like a normal case
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg