So much for Kinect

#1GoIrish80Posted 6/9/2014 9:40:00 AM
Harmonix probably isn't feeling to good right now, they should probably start figuring out how to make good games that don't require peripherals.

I bet by the middle of next year the Kinect system bundle is discontinued.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#2MinamoPosted 6/9/2014 9:41:28 AM
I really have to wonder where all the Kinect games are. They only announced the de-bundle a few weeks ago, you'd think there would be some Kinect games pretty far in development.
#3jasomramirez666Posted 6/9/2014 9:43:09 AM
I feel bad for those who have the XB1 with kinect...

MS really dropped the idea... So many people would be having a useless $100 camera..
#4EoinPosted 6/9/2014 9:55:55 AM
Minamo posted...
I really have to wonder where all the Kinect games are. They only announced the de-bundle a few weeks ago, you'd think there would be some Kinect games pretty far in development.

There's no incentive for developers to make Kinect games (apart from Microsoft's own studios). The market for Kinect games on 360 faltered towards the end of its lifecycle. The market for Kinect on Xbox One has so far been obfuscated by the fact that every Xbox One owner has to have a Kinect - it's not clear how many actually want one. There's no obvious Kinect-based success stories for publishers to take note of, no examples to follow. As a final disincentive, a game that utilises Kinect properly can't be ported to anything else, and a game that just uses the basic functions still only has an audience of camera-owners on other systems.

Without a clear audience or clear pace-setting Kinect exclusive, developers largely ignored or marginalised the Kinect - not a particularly surprising event.
#5GoIrish80(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2014 10:01:48 AM
Notice the picture of the Xbox One at the end? Kinect wasn't even in it.

That thing is dead.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#6GoldenJoe24Posted 6/9/2014 10:03:35 AM
GoIrish80 posted...
Notice the picture of the Xbox One at the end? Kinect wasn't even in it.

That thing is dead.

Good eye. I still can't believe they stopped it like that.