Why isn't the Xbox One backwards compatible with Xbox 360 and Xbox?

#31popping4itPosted 6/10/2014 1:56:54 PM(edited)
scoobydoobydont posted...
popping4it posted...
the cpu on the 360 was a 3.2ghz powerpc to emulate a cpu at that clock speed would require a cpu that doesnt currently even exist.

the move to x86 on current gen consoles was a conscious decision by both sony and microsoft to improve and ease development. if microsoft stuck with powerpc they would have been able to retain backwards compatibility but would completely put them at a big disadvantage in terms of multiplatform releases even worse than they are currently.

They would be at a disadvantage... by choosing a processor that was more powerful. Makes sense. Fact: if Xbone had a more powerful PPC processor and retained full BC, they would never have been in trouble to begin with and Xbone would be the lead platform. 360 wasn't difficult to develop for, PPC isn't exotic or weird. Only Sony needed to move to a new architecture, and it was a gamble that only paid off because MS did the same.

thats not really true. developers were starting to make the trend towards pc centric development which is x86. that would mean xb1 would become the black sheep like the wii-U is for third party development. the small difference in cpu performance is meaningless even if there was optimized code for ppc for inorder execution what benefit is that. its why they went with multicore processors because they want developers to move into parallelism.

the reason xb1 lagged behind because their choice to use embedded memory because it was good on the 360 but rather than making this the EXTRA special sauce they sacrificed die space for CUs, if they had just devoted the entire die to GPU the xb1 would have been on order of magniatude more powerful i'd even say a 7970 would have been nasty. on the 360 they had a full fledged gpu and put this edram on top of it.
---
whens mahvel?
#32mindoftwomoronsPosted 6/10/2014 1:57:54 PM
So many topics about this but people don't seem to realize that them "patching" in 360 BC would require emulation and that would be horrible. Why? Look at the BC on the 360 for original Xbox games. You had visual and audio glitches, higher chances of certain games crashing, and bugs were introduced that weren't present in the original releases. Granted this didn't happen to every game, and some were more than playable. But most games simply never saw a release because getting an emulator file for it proved to be too difficult as some engines just don't translate well to other hardware.

It sounds great in theory, but there's just no feasible way to make it happen without having some major drawback(either performance or library wise).
---
http://giant.gfycat.com/BiodegradableRevolvingBlueandgoldmackaw.gif http://giant.gfycat.com/EvergreenMiserableBorer.gif
#33popping4itPosted 6/10/2014 2:18:56 PM
mindoftwomorons posted...
So many topics about this but people don't seem to realize that them "patching" in 360 BC would require emulation and that would be horrible. Why? Look at the BC on the 360 for original Xbox games. You had visual and audio glitches, higher chances of certain games crashing, and bugs were introduced that weren't present in the original releases. Granted this didn't happen to every game, and some were more than playable. But most games simply never saw a release because getting an emulator file for it proved to be too difficult as some engines just don't translate well to other hardware.

It sounds great in theory, but there's just no feasible way to make it happen without having some major drawback(either performance or library wise).

cant cure stupidity.
---
whens mahvel?
#34scoobydoobydontPosted 6/10/2014 2:20:54 PM
I liked the BC on 360 just fine. Imperfect BC > no BC.
---
http://i.imgur.com/MBPlg7Z.jpg
http://giant.gfycat.com/HomelyCluelessBat.gif
#35godplaysSNESPosted 6/10/2014 5:20:10 PM
Microsoft could make the Xbox One backwards compatible with Xbox 1. It's damn impressive Microsoft even managed getting so many Xbox 1 games working ok on the 360.

Emulating the 360 is infeasible however.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#36Masterchief5525Posted 6/10/2014 5:38:55 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
suicide machine posted...
i bought a new system to play new games

I buy consoles to play games period. Weird that you need to emphasize new as if old games aren't fun. I buy "new" consoles because they stop supporting the old one, not because I want to waste money on newness for the sake of it.

Sith Jedi posted...
The Wii and Wii U use the same architecture so it's much, much easier to emulate. XB1 and PS4 both have different architecture from their predecessors, so to run the games they would either have to be rewritten for the new architecture (which costs a good chunk of money and is what the HD releases are) or have them try to emulate their predecessors. Both systems are far too weak to emulate their predecessor with any kind of quality.

There's also game streaming which they're looking at, but I can't imagine that being any good with the average connection in the US.

Pretty sure OG Xbox uses the same architecture. What's the excuse there? And 360 was sandbagged behind APIs, developers weren't allowed to code to the metal. Only the API's need porting for perfect 360 emulation. Excuses excuses, stop excusing bad decisions.

Original Xbox used a Pentium III based processor while the 360 used a power PC processor which are completely different
---
i7-4770k | AMD Radeon HD 7990 | 8gb G.Skill 1600mhz | 2TB WD HDD | Asus Z87-A