MS and Sony had solid conferences but...

#1pblimp360Posted 6/10/2014 12:04:05 AM
The one thing that took them down a peg was a great lack of in game action from major releases.

The 3rd party games felt like they carried more weight overall because we got glimpses of actual gameplay and from what we saw most everything looked beautiful on both systems.

MS had and still has the exclusives on lock, and Horizon 2 and Fable Legends looked stunning and great respectively. Then of course is the magnificent Sunset Overdrive which was just amazing as well as the ultra exclusive and fan craved Master Chief Collection which will have millions, myself included, stuck on it like glue. I mean damn, 4000 achievements and all main Halo games for $60?! Yes please.

But while MS delivered mightily on games, games, games they lacked in shock and awe for most as a few were rumored and spoiled and again, we didn't get gameplay.

I was disappointed by not seeing Halo 5's new engine, but I suppose they are still working on it as well as them not showing a CGI trailer for Gears of War. No reason not to show people that the property is still major you know?

I also wish we could've seen Scalebound in action as Platinum Games makes some good s*** and I was hyped for the 2 exclusives MS worked out with them.

Sony had the same issue really and a great chunk of games shown from them are multiplat and the talk of tv and everything outside of gaming felt like strong irony lol

Both still had good conferences to me though. I'd say MS was an 8/10 and Sony a 7-7.5/10.

Am I alone here? Please no trolling guys. Let's discuss the pros and cons like adults.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#2NeoAndurilPosted 6/10/2014 12:06:41 AM
Here's what I expect. It takes time to craft good games. It's too early in the next gen cycle to be showing anything big time for 2014. 2015's E3 is gonna be huge. Only problem?

We know about most of the big name titles already. Not many surprises but there will be a lot more gameplay.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6RcJTNv.png
#3sonicenthusiastPosted 6/10/2014 12:09:36 AM
I feel the same way, but when people watch these conferences they have to really consider the way the presenters choose their words. "First console debut" is extremely different from "exclusive". Sony showed off many games that are going to be on multiple platforms while trying to fool people into believing they are exclusive. Microsoft showed a bunch of multiplatform games as well, but I feel like they defined what their exclusives are better.
---
Gonna take a drink whenever the word "experience" is used during E3.
My faith in humanity has always been low, visiting GameFAQs has no effect on it.
#4KingSumo_the1stPosted 6/10/2014 12:16:28 AM
E3 2014 Review:
My last impression on Microsofts conference was 'awesome lineup and exlusives that rival Sonys' but really? Enough with the CGI trailers!
Sonys conference was more ' Triumphant trailers and actual game demo's'. Really? "We are commited!' for like 30 mins.
The others like Ubi, EA wasnt nearly exciting but never underwhelmed or over delivered either, Nintendo cant really say but dont have a conference.
M$: 6/10
$ONY: 6/10
Ubisoft: 7/10 (IMO the best)
EA: 5/10 (Wheres Battlefront?)
Nintendo: 0/10 (No conference)
Long story Short
Yea we got Halo, Fable, Phantom Dust and Bloodbourne, Order 1886, Uncharted, but we knew that before watching the show, and all of them dont come out till next year. Microsoft beat Sony for this years lineup and exlcusives, however with very little surprises and not very interesting onstage moments. Sonys strength this year was MS' s last year, showcasing its new IPs but not enough and hardly a lineup this year.
Games?
No Mans Sky for being an indie game was the only jaw dropping moment I had. The new IPs needed well more stage time and gameplay, not CGI trailer crap. More like LBP stage demo except for the whole show. Half if not most games were from last years E3 and most STILL dont have release dates. I watched E3 this year with hardy any expectations and im still left disappointed.
Leave it Out!
Partnerships? Tv? DLC exclusive? Kinect? Morpheus? Movies? Youtube? Music? This is a video game showing and if they want an audience to learn bout those great, there are other places to show and market those products. MS has now abandoned kinect and Sony just make your next system VR only, solved? No another gimmick like its other gaming brothers.
Killer Gaming not Filler Gaming
In conlcusion each year its feels like its becoming a streamlined entertainment show with less games, no boothbabes, no release dates, no reasons, all hype to carry next years hype. Is this the new age of E3 Gaming nerdfest? Hope not, maybe I should just wait a year and see if you guys are right, maybe this gen is just having a shaky start.
---
GEC DV7
PSN: ELIT3_EXP3RT-01
#5Tajaz2426Posted 6/10/2014 12:22:24 AM
I totally agree, I hate when they do CGI trailers. Both companies did that for most of its exclusives.
---
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, PotUS
#6pblimp360(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2014 12:29:23 AM(edited)
Thanks for the feedback guys and you for the detailed review, Sumo. Keep em coming guys. : )

And great point, enthusiast. I noticed the wording as well from Sony compared to MS on exclusives lol

What are you guys thoughts on Rockstar moving GTA V to the PS4, XB1 and PC?

I'm torn because I had it and beat it but let my nephew see it only for him to scratch it up. There's nothing new about it except better visuals so I don't know. Not exactly hyped.

I am hyped for MK X though. That shall be mine.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#7killerbasaPosted 6/10/2014 12:30:10 AM
Sony showed some great looking games, but became boring with the talk about other peripherals and services.

MS only showed games, which wasn't bad, but I wanted to see some software/technology examples.

I was disappointed in the lack of gameplay for exclusives. Sunset Overdrive did a good job and put it back on my radar.

Watching it with my cousin who has neither console, (as do I), he seemed very biased toward PS4. We saw the Let It Die video and he instantly said "I'm sold on PS4." I'm sitting there thinking how? There was very little demonstration of the game and while it looked cool, it might end up lackluster.

The only games that truly impressed me that I had not heard of were No Man's Sky. Which looked great and innovative for an indie studio, not to mention the dev being very humble and genuine on stage, but I would really need to see some more depth and/or reviews for it. The other game was Rainbow 6: Siege. I love R6 and that looked amazing. Actually, I thinked I liked the Ubisoft conference best except for Just Dance. Sony seemed a little too confident, they lead market share right now, but I have some doubts about some of their exclusives and if they will still retain a performance advantage for most multiplats. The Order 1886 looks incredible, but the gameplay might be boring. More 3rd party games have impressed me than exclusives.
#8Cornbread4lifePosted 6/10/2014 12:33:05 AM
Tajaz2426 posted...
I totally agree, I hate when they do CGI trailers. Both companies did that for most of its exclusives.

I like them, but what I do mind is how people tend to blow them out of proportion and start going nuts with speculation. For me, I just use them to conclude "looks interesting, I'll wait for more info" or "doesn't look too interesting, I'll wait for more info." I like seeing them, but I hate what they do to people for months afterwards before any gameplay is shown.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
#9Bobsy84Posted 6/10/2014 12:34:48 AM
As someone who owns both consoles I have got to admit to feeling underwhelmed. Its mostly just sequels we already knew were coming out or ports of old games on both sides.
My fav exclusives are scalebound for ms and bloodborne on ps also the order looks good.
#10NeoAndurilPosted 6/10/2014 12:38:14 AM
Bobsy84 posted...
As someone who owns both consoles I have got to admit to feeling underwhelmed. Its mostly just sequels we already knew were coming out or ports of old games on both sides.
My fav exclusives are scalebound for ms and bloodborne on ps also the order looks good.

There has been a fair amount of new IP for this year and next year. I was surprised actually.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6RcJTNv.png