A graphics topic that isn't about 1080p/60fps

#1demollyonPosted 6/10/2014 6:00:37 PM
Am I the only one here that thinks graphics have stagnated since 2006?

When the original doom came out jaws were dropped. Same with quake 1, quake 2 and quake 3.

When doom 4 was demonstrated, the developers played the game with a gamepad, because people didn't believe it was real time and not cgi.

In fact, the last time I was wowed was the first gears if war game. After that everything is kinda cool, but not jaw dropping out ground breaking.

Anyone agrees?
#2crynryanPosted 6/10/2014 6:14:55 PM
As a serious question, how much of game development do you know? Creating games is extremely hard, so to me anything that just keeps looking better and better is great. Just saying that sometimes it's hard to appreciate something when you don't know/understand the work that went in to it.

As for getting used to current graphics, there haven't really been that many big jumps recently than there was years ago. Older consoles could only use so many colors, sprites, effects, etc and while newer consoles can do so much more, all you're really getting is a few thousand or million polygons for hair, shirts, faces, and the environment. While it's still a big upgrade, it's not one that's easy enough to notice if you don't go looking for it.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#3demollyon(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2014 6:33:47 PM
I'm not a developer, obviously, but I also am not an engineer, yet I find that smartphone technology is getting much much better each year, with multiple copies, better gpus, etc.

My point is, I don't think I have to know how it works to appreciate it. I don't know how to cook, but I enjoy a good meal.

I didn't say old graphics are better than new, I just think there isn't much progress in this department since 2006.

Even worse with physics.
#4demundoPosted 6/10/2014 6:43:55 PM
I came in here hoping it was about polygons. Remember when we all used to talk about them? I'm leaving disappointed.
#5demollyon(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2014 6:45:37 PM
Lol, ahhh the Saturn, ps1, n64 era...
#6_Doomguy_Posted 6/10/2014 6:50:56 PM
Where's the doom 4 gameplay? !! I must know!
#7Chyld989Posted 6/10/2014 6:56:10 PM
We're already past the point of diminishing returns in terms of polygon count, so there's usually not as blatantly obvious of improvements anymore. Things like textures, lighting, etc. can still be increased for better visuals, but it's still usually not the in-your-face differences from years past.
#8cwbadgerPosted 6/10/2014 6:58:54 PM
What we're seeing now is they are already pushing the limits on how detailed models can be. At a certain point all you are doing is smoothing out edges that nobody sees. So we aren't going to see much improvement on that anymore but what we are seeing is the sheer number of things happening on screen at once. Just look at AC:U and the 5000+ characters they can display on screen at once. That is what the current gen is going to start pushing, along with all the fancy particle effects and realism in other areas than just characters models.

I for one look forward to how much they'll be able to do. I don't care how detailed a character model is since I still know it is a computer model. But when they start making the environments look and feel real, and populating it with loads of npc's that is what I find immersive.
#9RedFive3Posted 6/10/2014 7:01:26 PM
_Doomguy_ posted...

There isn't any, he must be talking about Doom 3 back when it came out.
---
I'm your huckleberry...
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#10demollyon(Topic Creator)Posted 6/10/2014 7:19:16 PM
_Doomguy_ posted...

oh, I meant doom 3 dude. I was reading about the doom 4 trailer before...