Microsoft 'brainstorming' ways to let you play XBOX 360 games on XBOX ONE!

#1SolnotPosted 6/11/2014 2:13:47 PM
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsoft-brainstorming-ways-let-play-xbox-360-games-xbox-one/

The lack of backward compatibility for Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One has no doubt angered and frustrated gamers. But there may be hope on the horizon.

In an interview with Engadget, Xbox head Phil Spencer said that while there is no plan to let people play 360 games on the Xbox One, Microsoft is “brainstorming” the possibility.

The main issue is that the Xbox One runs on an eight-core x6 processor vs. the three Power PC cores in the Xbox 360 — the two architectures aren’t compatible.

When asked by Engadget’s Ben Gilbert about the possibility of an Xbox 360 emulator, Spencer made clear that there is no set plan for something like that. Still, though, the smart Xbox folks at Microsoft are thinking about it.

“The Xbox 360 has an amazing content catalog, one of the largest catalogs ever created,” Spencer said. “When I think about that content, I don’t want that content to just waste away. I want it to be content that people can play for many years. There are a lot of ways for us to enable that.”

Technically, if you really want to, there is a way to play your Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. By connecting one end of an HDMI cord to your Xbox 360 and the other end to the Xbox One’s HDMI input port — typically meant to feed a cable or satellite connection — you can play 360 games from the Xbox One.

Spencer also touched on Microsoft’s plans for virtual reality, noting that “we have our skunkworks stuff that we’re working through, but right now we’re watching how the VR space evolves to see if it ends up as a mainstream consumer scenario.”
#2Mindwipe77Posted 6/11/2014 2:15:10 PM
why dont they just copy ps now like they did ps plus, seems simple enough
---
Playstation- Where The Greatest Play+ Wii U
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."
#3SoulTrapperPosted 6/11/2014 2:16:57 PM
I'm fairly certain they don't need to brainstorm over how they'd use their Azure platform to stream games to people.
It's not as if they're using "The power of the cloud"™ for anything else right now.
#4iamdanthamanPosted 6/11/2014 2:18:00 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...

Because they understand that most people don't have good enough internet for streaming games to not be garbage, and that true BC would be a far superior option.
---
All your base are belong to us
#5Tajaz2426Posted 6/11/2014 2:24:45 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...

Because they understand that most people don't have good enough internet for streaming games to not be garbage, and that true BC would be a far superior option.

True BC would be cool, but where I'm stationed I have 8 MBps or whatever it is and it only takes 5 for PSNow. I'm part of the beta and it works pretty well. That could be an option for Microsoft if they can't get it any other way. Would be cool for Micro purchasers.

All the games I have tried have worked pretty seamless and have trophy support. I work not recommend games like COD if it's multiplayer( I don't know if that's even and option).

Anyway good news and hopefully they can do it. It would bring more people to the next generation and that's good for both sides as developers need a larger amount of people next gen than the 13 million we have now.
---
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, PotUS
#6EoinPosted 6/11/2014 2:44:00 PM
iamdanthaman posted...

"True" BC isn't coming.

When they say they're "brainstorming" ways to bring Xbox 360 content to the Xbox One, this translates to "we'll have a streaming service, but we haven't announced that yet so we're not going to give out details". Microsoft aren't going to sit back and leave this entire segment of the market to Sony.
#7iamdanthamanPosted 6/11/2014 2:49:07 PM
Eoin posted...
iamdanthaman posted...

"True" BC isn't coming.

When they say they're "brainstorming" ways to bring Xbox 360 content to the Xbox One, this translates to "we'll have a streaming service, but we haven't announced that yet so we're not going to give out details". Microsoft aren't going to sit back and leave this entire segment of the market to Sony.

Well, yes. Obviously it wouldn't be "true BC", that would require it being built into the Hardware. But Emulation is not out of the question. Just because they say that it is "difficult" to emulate the PPC stuff on the x86 stuff, it doesn't mean it is impossible.
---
All your base are belong to us
#8Laylow12Posted 6/11/2014 2:50:56 PM
They better get it figured out quickly because Sony is already Beta testing theirs and its coming soon!

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#9motoraptorPosted 6/11/2014 2:52:17 PM
I don't have enough time to enjoy older games, there's plenty of new games to keep me busy. The only reason I turn on my 360 is to play Halo with my friends and the occasional game of NHL. Both series are making their way to the One this Fall.
---
http://i.imgur.com/OnsrjIu.gif
#10TollyPosted 6/11/2014 2:56:14 PM
As an Xbox One owner, I am really glad that Sony is offering BC via a streaming service. As another user has posted, MS isn't going to let Sony be the only player in that game. Sony offering the option to stream older games is only going to lead to MS offer a similar service. And what Xbox owner wouldn't like that?
---
GT: Tollyonium