Microsoft 'brainstorming' ways to let you play XBOX 360 games on XBOX ONE!

#11EoinPosted 6/11/2014 3:00:10 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
Well, yes. Obviously it wouldn't be "true BC", that would require it being built into the Hardware. But Emulation is not out of the question. Just because they say that it is "difficult" to emulate the PPC stuff on the x86 stuff, it doesn't mean it is impossible.

There's too wide an architectural gap and too narrow a power gap for emulation to be feasible (the same thing applies to the PS3/PS4). While it's probably not technically completely impossible, in terms of difficulty it's almost certainly far beyond the point where it's not worth the effort on Microsoft's part (especially when a streaming service is going to be so much easier and so much more profitable). If you are expecting the Xbox One to emulate the Xbox 360, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Laylow12 posted...
They better get it figured out quickly because Sony is already Beta testing theirs and its coming soon!

It's been clear for a while now that Microsoft have a streaming service coming. The leaked "Xbox 720" roadmap showed OnLive as a potential acquisition target (as well as a conceptual-stage streaming service), and there were several reports of Microsoft demoing Halo on a Windows Phone last year. At this point, Sony will beat them to the market for sure, but Microsoft are probably closer to the launch of their service than their silence might imply.
#12ace_two_maxPosted 6/11/2014 4:37:29 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...
why dont they just copy ps now like they did ps plus, seems simple enough

Because they understand that most people don't have good enough internet for streaming games to not be garbage, and that true BC would be a far superior option.

It's funny because the Cloud requires online to work...

Well you see the main issues later.
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!
#13leelee3105Posted 6/11/2014 9:28:26 PM
Halo, gta, and Diablo getting xboxone ports means I no longer care at all about BC
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#14SupaflyGibsonPosted 6/11/2014 9:31:06 PM
Solnot posted...
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsoft-brainstorming-ways-let-play-xbox-360-games-xbox-one/

The lack of backward compatibility for Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One has no doubt angered and frustrated gamers. But there may be hope on the horizon.

In an interview with Engadget, Xbox head Phil Spencer said that while there is no plan to let people play 360 games on the Xbox One, Microsoft is “brainstorming” the possibility.

The main issue is that the Xbox One runs on an eight-core x6 processor vs. the three Power PC cores in the Xbox 360 — the two architectures aren’t compatible.

When asked by Engadget’s Ben Gilbert about the possibility of an Xbox 360 emulator, Spencer made clear that there is no set plan for something like that. Still, though, the smart Xbox folks at Microsoft are thinking about it.

“The Xbox 360 has an amazing content catalog, one of the largest catalogs ever created,” Spencer said. “When I think about that content, I don’t want that content to just waste away. I want it to be content that people can play for many years. There are a lot of ways for us to enable that.”

Technically, if you really want to, there is a way to play your Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. By connecting one end of an HDMI cord to your Xbox 360 and the other end to the Xbox One’s HDMI input port — typically meant to feed a cable or satellite connection — you can play 360 games from the Xbox One.

Spencer also touched on Microsoft’s plans for virtual reality, noting that “we have our skunkworks stuff that we’re working through, but right now we’re watching how the VR space evolves to see if it ends up as a mainstream consumer scenario.”

This is good news, but I'd rather them put sources into other things than BC.
---
gt: For Spartaa
#15_Doomguy_Posted 6/11/2014 9:34:06 PM
They could use the cloud for this.
#16Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/11/2014 9:38:36 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...

Because they understand that most people don't have good enough internet for streaming games to not be garbage, and that true BC would be a far superior option.

but they're going to try to use the cloud for compute work for video games, which requires a good latency. Same for streaming games, mostly everyone can stream a video game with the internet connection, doesn't require that much bandwidth. 6MB I believe, seems the average connection is around 10mb so yeah.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#17IzraeilPosted 6/12/2014 12:08:41 AM
iamdanthaman posted...
Mindwipe77 posted...

It's ironic they wanted to put out a console that required you to have internet access, even though majority of the people don't have internet in their homes.
#18Foreign ObjectsPosted 6/12/2014 12:32:46 AM
I have no interest in streaming games on the Xbox One.

I don't want to deal with controller lag or other glitches.

If it can't be emulated, don't bother.
---
etc
#19scoobydoobydontPosted 6/12/2014 12:37:12 AM
If I have to pay extra to access it, or I only have access to select content MS felt was important but not stuff I care about, it isn't good enough and they can **** off. I'll stick with 360 until they figure something that makes me happy, and if they can't I can never buy anything Xbox again. Simple as. I'm not caving for anything announced so far by Sony or MS.

inb4 some jackass who doesn't care about old games tells me I'm an idiot and a tiny niche even though 'does it play my old games' is literally the first question every casual/mainstream consumer asks the sales person because normal people intuitively expect that function in the digital age.

---
http://i.imgur.com/MBPlg7Z.jpg
http://giant.gfycat.com/HomelyCluelessBat.gif
#20MrSpaM111Posted 6/12/2014 12:38:44 AM
Foreign Objects posted...
I have no interest in streaming games on the Xbox One.

I don't want to deal with controller lag or other glitches.

If it can't be emulated, don't bother.

Completely ignoring the fact that nobody has reported major lag when using PSNow and onlive have managed to stay in business for 10+ years.

Ignorance at it's best
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628