Online, the Cloud, and Connectivity

#1yiangaruuugaPosted 6/12/2014 7:08:34 AM
At Sony's Press Conference, they stated that 90% of US PS4 owners are connected through internet.

I'm going to assume that the same is true for XB1 owners especially if they could afford the extra $100. Do you think we will see games utilizing the cloud (such as Crackdown 3) more, and more online-only type of games?

How do you feel about this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I think this is great. I had no problems with the 24 check-in policy since I'm always near internet. I do see some flaws with it however. I hope that if Crackdown 3 is successful, other devs will try to utilize the cloud for handling some of the FPS, and more beautiful 1080P/60FPS games can be made.
---
GT: xFrostxPhoenix | PSN: xFrostxPhoenix
GSU Comp Sci C/O 2015 | XB1;360;PS4;N64;SNES
#2bob15xPosted 6/12/2014 7:13:23 AM
yiangaruuuga posted...
At Sony's Press Conference, they stated that 90% of US PS4 owners are connected through internet.

I'm going to assume that the same is true for XB1 owners especially if they could afford the extra $100. Do you think we will see games utilizing the cloud (such as Crackdown 3) more, and more online-only type of games?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I think this is great. I had no problems with the 24 check-in policy since I'm always near internet. I do see some flaws with it however. I hope that if Crackdown 3 is successful, other devs will try to utilize the cloud for handling some of the FPS, and more beautiful 1080P/60FPS games can be made.

at some point you have to start moving forward in technology. You can't always stay stagnate because of the have nots, especially when the have nots are in the minority when talking about internet connectivity.

Imagine if companies didn't bother producing HD content for TV, or even the consoles were still 4*3 until 98% of people had HD tvs.

that is exactly what we are doing with consoles and internet connectivity. Worry about the 5-10% and hold back from the 90%+
#3ScRuiPosted 6/12/2014 7:15:02 AM
I posted this on the 'crackdown 3 demo' topic... But it is about cloud so ill post it here too...

The tech demo surprised me a bit...

Not because of the cloud based physics, but how little the actual system handled without any type of performance faults...

When they start shooting the top of the building, the FPS just utterly collapse... 2-3FPS, while the cloud based kept up with it was handling... Pretty cool...

It seems that the Rainbow 6 Siege demo kinda has same standard in destruction... Anything and everything can be destroyed or penetrated...

Hope this becomes the standard, not the exception... Especially if other consoles can't use the same technical abilities to hit this level of physics...

---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>
#4eddy_cocainePosted 6/12/2014 7:16:19 AM
bob15x posted...
yiangaruuuga posted...

at some point you have to start moving forward in technology. You can't always stay stagnate because of the have nots, especially when the have nots are in the minority when talking about internet connectivity.

Imagine if companies didn't bother producing HD content for TV, or even the consoles were still 4*3 until 98% of people had HD tvs.

that is exactly what we are doing with consoles and internet connectivity. Worry about the 5-10% and hold back from the 90%+

Well said.

Think about the fact that they also cut out anyone without HDTV for this gen.
---
GT: Toot Scoot PSN: CerebralLOLsy
Dear fanboys; get over yourselves. Video games are not the most important thing in life.
#5ScRuiPosted 6/12/2014 7:19:13 AM
bob15x posted...
yiangaruuuga posted...

+1 ... I still alittle P.O.ed about MS reversing some ideas that they revealed (AT THE REVEAL, not E3) last year...

I was glad they were making it an online 'type' system... No disc swapping, family sharing, etc... I was excited for the new direction... Still love the system (both, TBH) but the whiners and pessimism just killed it... Atleast for the time being... Hopefully not for too much longer!!
---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>
#6grampamurkedPosted 6/12/2014 7:23:08 AM
eddy_cocaine posted...
bob15x posted...
yiangaruuuga posted...

Well said.

Who still uses a crt?
---
Xbox GT: Grampa Murked U Steam ID: grampamurkedu PSN ID: GRAMPAMURKEDU
#7bob15xPosted 6/12/2014 8:10:37 AM
grampamurked posted...
eddy_cocaine posted...
bob15x posted...
yiangaruuuga posted...

Well said.

Who still uses a crt?

there were people that still complained. I was happy and upset about getting rid of my crt in my bedroom 2 years ago. Happy because that big 32 inch black box was gone, and upset that I had to carry the thing down 3 flights of stairs.
#8ace_two_maxPosted 6/12/2014 8:13:19 AM
Did no one noticed that the Cloud in Crackdown would require always online or you get 4 FPS? Did no one noticed that?

Didn't we cry about the Xbone always online policy? If you lose connection while that building is going down you will have a bad day.
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!
#9VIC10U5Posted 6/12/2014 8:16:10 AM
ace_two_max posted...
Did no one noticed that the Cloud in Crackdown would require always online or you get 4 FPS? Did no one noticed that?

Didn't we cry about the Xbone always online policy? If you lose connection while that building is going down you will have a bad day.

No one ever said PROGRESS would be easy. Vocal minority ruining it for everyone else. 'Murica.
#10bob15xPosted 6/12/2014 8:21:32 AM
ace_two_max posted...

did you notice you have no clue what you are talking about? Did you know, that if you lost connection the physics engine would probably toggle to low?

of course not, because you didn't think