Online, the Cloud, and Connectivity

#11Styrof0amPosted 6/12/2014 7:31:53 AM
yiangaruuuga posted...
Do you think we will see games utilizing the cloud (such as Crackdown 3) more, and more online-only type of games?

Short answer; yes

Long answer; possibly
Considering how quickly TV, movies, music, entertainment, office apps, news et al have moved towards being service based in the last few years, my guess is, that games will follow suit.

The average family has more devices, that require or utilize an online connection, than family members. Phones, laptops, set top boxes, TV, tablets and soon watches and glasses are all designed to make use of online services, so why not consoles?

Cisco
Annual global IP traffic will pass the zettabyte (1000 exabytes) threshold by the end of2016, and will reach1.6 zettabytes per year by 2018. In 2016, global IP traffic will reach 1.1 zettabytes per year or 91.3 exabytes (one billion gigabytes) per month, and by 2018, global IP traffic will reach 1.6 zettabytes per year or 131.9exabytes per month.

Global IP traffic has increased fivefold over the past 5 years, and will increase threefold over thenext 5years. Overall, IP traffic will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21 percent from 2013to2018.

Source:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/VNI_Hyperconnectivity_WP.html

... Of course both I and Cisco could be wrong. History is riddled with people, who made the wrong predictions

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.

"But what...is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially it is an impossibility." -- Lee DeForest, inventor.

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax." -- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, British scientist, 1899.

---

No commentary. No advertisements. Gameplay only ... http://www.youtube.com/user/kyllingefod
#12ScRuiPosted 6/12/2014 8:04:15 AM
Styrof0am posted...
yiangaruuuga posted...
Do you think we will see games utilizing the cloud (such as Crackdown 3) more, and more online-only type of games?

Short answer; yes

Long answer; possibly
Considering how quickly TV, movies, music, entertainment, office apps, news et al have moved towards being service based in the last few years, my guess is, that games will follow suit.

The average family has more devices, that require or utilize an online connection, than family members. Phones, laptops, set top boxes, TV, tablets and soon watches and glasses are all designed to make use of online services, so why not consoles?

Cisco
Annual global IP traffic will pass the zettabyte (1000 exabytes) threshold by the end of2016, and will reach1.6 zettabytes per year by 2018. In 2016, global IP traffic will reach 1.1 zettabytes per year or 91.3 exabytes (one billion gigabytes) per month, and by 2018, global IP traffic will reach 1.6 zettabytes per year or 131.9exabytes per month.

Global IP traffic has increased fivefold over the past 5 years, and will increase threefold over thenext 5years. Overall, IP traffic will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21 percent from 2013to2018.

Source:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/VNI_Hyperconnectivity_WP.html

... Of course both I and Cisco could be wrong. History is riddled with people, who made the wrong predictions

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.

"But what...is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially it is an impossibility." -- Lee DeForest, inventor.

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax." -- William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, British scientist, 1899.

I could think of a few posters posts that you can quote also... Talking about cloud computing...

Off the top of my head, anything SoulTrapper posts.. LOL
---
"Be Smart @ Being Stupid & You'll NEVER Lose"
<If you ain't #NoseDeep, you ain't doing it right>