Worst. Ending. Ever(Besides Mass Effect 3)

#51Strider102Posted 6/12/2014 5:20:31 PM
Ghostbusters on the NES.
---
Strider is something of a god of equine necro-brutality. -Master ZED
#52RuneArcanisPosted 6/12/2014 5:23:38 PM
I loved the original ME3 ending. It was very poetic. I hated that they caved in and changed it.
---
Pokemon FC: 2793-0726-6683 Bug Safari: Combee, Masquerain, Vivillon
Bravely Default FC: 0748-3455-0337
#53breakthecutiePosted 6/12/2014 5:25:45 PM
LanternOfAsh posted...
AC3. They built up that apocalyptic storyline the entire series and then they just flushed it down the drain with a horrible two minute cutscene that was basically like 'whatever you win'.

This. So much. I get that the ending was Templar/Assassin in the choice Desmond made but still. And I actually liked Connor. The son overcoming the father and the Homestead missions are a big reason why
#54tehjoey9170Posted 6/12/2014 5:28:12 PM
zinsindetta posted...
Any game where they kill off the main character at the end.

This. It's a cheap kick in the balls everytime they do that.
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Joey9170.png http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Joey917015.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/red/Joey9170.jpg
#55Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 6/12/2014 5:32:01 PM(edited)
tehjoey9170 posted...
zinsindetta posted...
Any game where they kill off the main character at the end.

This. It's a cheap kick in the balls everytime they do that.

come on people whatever happened to the greek tragedy esque stories?

This is why the American version of The Vanishing was terrible and everyone crapped all over it. Because it didn't have the awesome scary tragic ending of the original movies.
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."
#56squidney2k1Posted 6/12/2014 5:35:11 PM(edited)
nelson0928 posted...
GladiatorDanger posted...
squidney2k1 posted...
gohoanq posted...
littlebro07 posted...
Also Gears of War 3.

Humanity should have lost. But no, there's a magical "kill LITERALLY every single Locust and Lambent infected creature on the entire planet" button.

Marcus Fenix's father worked on that "cure" for most of his life and was deeply involved in the Locust/Lambent problem. You thinking they should have lost doesn't take that away.. It made sense.
---

Exactly.....a biological weapon developed for over 25 years. That's not a magical "off" button, and works very well for a conclusion.

Yeah it kind of is, a magical virus or something that nobody has heard of or even referenced until the 3rd game suddenly shows up and is the answer to all the heroes problem, how is that not a Deus Ex Machina?

Clearly you never read any of the Gears novels. Marcus' mother, Elain Fenix discovered the existence of the lambent organism when Marcus was still just a kid, that was many years before E-day. And when Adam Fenix was sent to Azura, which was 10 years after E-day, every top scientists at Azura began the development of this cure with the help of Elain's notes.

Yeah, and it was also heavily alluded in Gears of War 2. There were entire "WTF is going on with the Locust?!" and "wait, there's been crazy experiments going on for 20 yrs?!!!" sections in Gears of War 2. The introduction of the Sires in GoW2 specifically foreshadowed a problem with Lambent creatures and searching for a way to fix it.
---
Best games of last gen: Mass Effect series & Bioshock series \m/ (O_o) \m/
>o_o\> AMENO >o_o\>
#57aj4x94(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2014 5:48:39 PM
To be honest, I don't have a problem with stories that kill off the main character at the end, but there has to be a reason for it.

RDR pulled this off the best.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#58scoobydoobydontPosted 6/12/2014 5:51:53 PM
aj4x94 posted...
To be honest, I don't have a problem with stories that kill off the main character at the end, but there has to be a reason for it.

The reason is because game protagonists engage in high risk activities. Fact is, we should have a lot more character deaths, but we don't because, well, you know... money.
---
http://i.imgur.com/MBPlg7Z.jpg
http://giant.gfycat.com/HomelyCluelessBat.gif
#59BlackWizardMagusPosted 6/12/2014 5:52:48 PM
_Shuyin_ posted...
Maybe originally ME3's ending was lackluster, but the extended cut really fixed it and now offers closure and filled in a lot of blanks. The Leviathan dlc also helps explain a lot of what's being revealed in the ending too.

What was fixed? Except for the 3 second still images which were changed to be context-relevant, I can't think of one thing that was fixed. In fact, it actually made them worse. It's not just "lackluster", it's like a case study of almost every possible way to screw up an ending.

Other bad endings; Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where none of the endings were really explained to actually make sense (e.g. UN regulation of who? Why would the bad guys who own the governments of every member country not control the UN? What regulations would be made? How would they be enforced?). Mass Effect 2's monstrously large and idiotic retcon for no reason. FF13 for so, so many reasons. Chrono Cross, for having a story with lots of character growth and meaning that is literally erased. Divinity 2, as stated before. The original Fallout 3 ending would not have been so bad, except for the glaring plotholes surrounding it, ones so obvious that even a child could see them, and the writers actually made a lazy, lame attempt to subvert them, which just highlighted how bad they were. I'm kind of lucky, maybe, in that I have this weird hang up that makes it hard for me to finish games; I often get right to the end and just stop, for some reason. I've heard of other games with bad endings but I never finished them, so good for me.

And I don't see any problem with old NES games that just said "Thanks for playing". The story in these games was "kill all the bad guys until you kill the big bad guy and save the world". And you do. The end. There's no need for text or whatever, you know what happens. Besides, the stories in these games barely existed; they didn't mean anything. But when you have a deep, long, engrossing story operating as one of the main draws of the game, and THEN you flip your fans the bird...yeah.

aj4x94 posted...
RDR pulled this off the best.

Really? Because I never got that ending. It felt like they just wanted to tack on a heroic, sacrificial death at the end.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#60kennyynnooPosted 6/12/2014 5:59:52 PM
Stop picking NES games, those are to easy. I might as well say you NES guys don't know gaming because you never played Spiderman on atari and climbed the building to reach the top...or pong...or Pac man. Those old games barely told stories on NES and very few had endings.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.