is the video gaming industry suffering because studio's are afraid of failure

#1xboxwii4Posted 6/15/2014 6:35:40 PM
With the cost of development rising to astronomical highs are more developers afraid to take chances?
---
Life is hard, its even harder if your stupid.
#2_Doomguy_Posted 6/15/2014 6:38:49 PM
Yes.
#3Garage_ManPosted 6/15/2014 6:39:54 PM
I honestly think Sony is going to be the only one to really being forth new AAA ideas. Apart from other indie devs....we will see though.
#4TheApd_ReturnsPosted 6/15/2014 6:42:57 PM
Garage_Man posted...
I honestly think Sony is going to be the only one to really being forth new AAA ideas. Apart from other indie devs....we will see though.

QTE setpiece third person shooter number 4
Hack and slash game number 4
QTE setpiece third person shooter new IP
setpiece first person shooter number 5

>new ideas
---
XBL: MauryPov1ch ... 3DS/Wii U: maurypov1ch ... Steam: callmaury
u want sum ___?
#5boolzeroPosted 6/15/2014 6:47:05 PM(edited)
Um, this has been addressed years ago... The answer is yes. That's why we are seeing lots of smaller indie studios on the rise with "budget" releases for modestly financed projects that don't require multimillions in production costs and advertising to produce, develop and release.

Not to be THAT guy, but there is not much of a conversation to have about the subject. The industry has its corners to cover these things. The big studios stick to the workshopped formula sellers, while the smaller studios, indie developers and direct to digital release games cover the more "risky", "artsy" and "chancy" releases. Steam and GoG is a perfect example of this and we see this translate over to consoles on the PS4 marketplace and with a lot of the upcoming Id@xbox games, which are largely ports of indie PC releases, peppered with a few Xbox One ground up developed games...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#6OpheliaAdenadePosted 6/15/2014 6:45:13 PM
TheApd_Returns posted...
Garage_Man posted...

>new ideas

You speak as if the xbone lineup isn't worse.
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#7HiddenRoarPosted 6/15/2014 10:07:01 PM
The rising costs are more associated with Western dev/publishers.

(most of) Japan still operates B-level (whatever that means) budgets so they're more open to breaking the mold and making great games.
#8Jedi454Posted 6/15/2014 10:12:59 PM
Too much money is spent in marketing and not enough is spent with development to make the game stand out, sell itself. Examples: Watch Dogs, Titanfall, inFamous Second Son, Killzone, Ryse and so on.
---
Owner of: Ps3/ 360/ XB1/ Aesthetic mind
#9LooksLikeRainPosted 6/15/2014 10:14:05 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
TheApd_Returns posted...
Garage_Man posted...

>new ideas

You speak as if the xbone lineup isn't worse.

But it's not, in my opinion.
---
Hatred outlives the hateful.