Whats the most you would spend on the sound system for your gaming setup?

#21blacklabelicePosted 6/16/2014 11:59:09 AM
my home system is half car audio parts speakers and pieces lol

for receivers i got an old pioneer 5.1 receiver, a 2 channel 1000 watt kenwood car amp with an adjustable equalizer on the front ran off an 850w computer power supply, a 300 watt phillips 4 channel receiver, and a 200 watt prestige car mp3 deck ran off a car battery charger

for speakers i have a set of 12" phoenix gold tantrum car subs, a 12" sony xplod (it effing sucks for dropping bass no matter what box i put it in or what receiver i run it off of) , some 15 inch generic no-name speaker thats actually pretty decent for low - mid range, 2 8' rampage subs with ported boxes, 8 inch eclipse sub, two jensen coaxials with 3 way swivel tweeters, 2 phillips mini towers speakers w/ tweeters that came with the phillips receiver, and two altec lansing satellite speakers, and a powered intertan set of speakers - not sure if they are for computer audio or like an organ or something, but it sounds pretty darn good for mid range and have seperate volume/level adjustments )

and a realistic ten band adjustable equalizer. also got a couple cheap sets of wireless headsets for when i dont feel like shaking the roof off. and yeah thats basically what i have left after all these years of hoarding.

i maguyvered it quite nicely i would say. i used to have alot more speakers and receivers but i ended up selling/trading them or breaking them/blowing the seams or straight up blowing the amps and replacing the fuses wouldnt fix them. i got cords and wires all over the god damn place, but it sounds really good.

all totalling i really would hate to know what ive spent in total on everything, but id say i probably spent or traded the equivalent of somewhere between $1000 - $1500 over the last decade maybe just buying and collecting. this is just for what i have left. not whats in my car or whats broken or sold off.

my most expensive piece was not any receiver alone, but it was actually my 1200 watt phoenix gold tantrums and the custom box for them. spent just a little over $350 and i regret nothing .i still love them to this day, like 8 years later! i actually had an older pair of PG's around the time i bought the new ones, model QXE-128 i believe and i sold them for good price but was so impressed with the brand that i went and bought two new 4 ohm tantrums shortly afterwards on a boxing day sale instead of the alpine type-s's i first had my eyes on

i guess im a bit of an audiophile but i couldnt see myself spending ridiculous amounts on a new system. i enjoyed just rigging up a system with receivers, boxes, and speakers everywhere just out of older and cheaper parts and stuff. the only thing i really bought new at the time. was the pg's and the box for them, the sony xplod, and the phillips receiver. the rest were all pawn shop specials or stuff i would snatch up off my friends

a $10k system would be absolutely absurd for me to go and spend that kind of money when im already quite content in what ive already have. i can drop my bass and still hear everything else just fine, all while destroying my hearing at the same time. i really dont need any more

i could use a little bit more power though. the best i got is that car amp but i cant even give it enough power. i really dont care to spend any more just to squeeze a little more juice its really not necessary at this point

/blogfaqs
#22james259Posted 6/16/2014 12:06:33 PM
I just use gaming headsets so... a couple hundred?
---
Prepare to be emancipated from your own inferior genes!- Abradolf Lincler
3DS FC: 0989-1746-5488
#23shads3055Posted 6/16/2014 12:07:51 PM
300 dollars
#24SpillboyPosted 6/16/2014 12:08:32 PM
I would recommend that you at least use the same brand of speakers for the whole system. That keeps the tonality the same as things pan from speaker to speaker.

A good speaker brand will have it listed as to what speakers have matching timber.
#25regsantotomasPosted 6/16/2014 1:42:38 PM
In the dedicated home theater, I don't really know what the total is but it's a significant amount. Sound is a very critical piece of the experience IMO though few people ever talk about it.

Of course, the investment isn't solely for games as I love watching films and listening to music.

I've even put up acoustical treatment in my room.

I also have a separate 7.1 setup in the living room but that setup is more modest.

As far as how much to spend, that ultimately is up to you, your budget, and your requirements. As I've said, I think that people shortchange themselves when they focus only on the video element.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#26GalvatronType_RPosted 6/16/2014 5:35:33 PM
Spillboy posted...
I would recommend that you at least use the same brand of speakers for the whole system. That keeps the tonality the same as things pan from speaker to speaker.

A good speaker brand will have it listed as to what speakers have matching timber.

True except for the subwoofer. Since a sub is mono only, it does not have to be voice matched to the timbre of the rest of the speakers so feel free to buy a sub brand that is different from the other full range speakers (like Hsu, SVS, Power Sound Audio, etc.).
#27Darth StalinPosted 6/16/2014 5:43:57 PM
I want to spend $3000+ but realistically I will only less than $1000 since I live in an apartment.
---
XBL Tag- Cruxis Mithos | PSN - Cruxis_Mithos
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3.... Will get a Wii U when SSB comes out.
#28squon(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2014 6:30:28 PM
BeefEaster posted...
squon posted...
BeefEaster posted...
zero dollars

Use TV speakers?

yup

loud noises make me anxious so tv speakers are good enough for me

Interesting.

Hey TV speakers jist dont meet my standards but im glad to hear that some find theirs good enough for their needs.

If all i used my TV for was watching cable, then i wouldnt bother getting ext speakers. But for games and movies and ext sub is a must. Good sound makes the expieriece so much more natural.