Why don't MS get Rare to make good videogames?

#1AnimalManBuddyBPosted 6/17/2014 9:42:17 AM
I was playing Banjo Tooie today and just thought about this, I mean they just make terrible shovelware these days.
#2JusticeSwordPosted 6/17/2014 9:54:29 AM
Lack of creative knowledge on contributing to games themselves is MS' problem.

Sony, Nintendo & SEGA had actual hands on experience making games of every genre, especially sega... I miss sega.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#3SigmaLongshotPosted 6/17/2014 9:54:43 AM
The legitimate answer is simply that all the new IP and ideas they've had since their Microsoft acquisition underperformed.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo, Banjo Nuts and Bolts and Viva Pinata all sold less than they needed to in order to assure Microsoft that creative new IPs were the way to go; Kinect Sports are now the "safe" attempts to recoup some of the losses.

When I had my contract there, I remember doing some of the art for Kameo 2 and Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise and recall the very day they shut down Kameo 2 - we were basically told, "focus on stuff that's nearly finished and forget about developing phase-1 products."

The ironic thing is that Microsoft asked them to make something "completely new, completely Rare", and when the slew of new, unique ideas came out, people defied and spat at it, saying "We just wanted more Super Mario 64 clones!" (remember, Banjo Kazooie started off as a bet with Nintendo that they could make a clone that beat them at their own game).

Rare genuinely wanted to be unique. It's just that nobody bought "unique".

And people wonder why we get the same stuff over and over!
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#4aj4x94Posted 6/17/2014 9:57:45 AM
I miss Sega. Oh so much.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls 1&2, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#5universaldavePosted 6/17/2014 10:04:19 AM
Viva Pinata was GOLD. I bought it, and the sequel. People who want Rare to be innovative need to look in the mirror if they didn't at least give Viva Pinata a try. I know a few people personally that just thought it was "kiddy" and never gave it a chance.
---
Fanboys (of all stripes) are sad, pathetic, souls. You know who you are.
#6AltiarLioPosted 6/17/2014 10:04:43 AM
they already do.

kinect sports rivals is great and the best use of motion controls, ever.
---
Founding member of the GameFAQS Trillionares club.
Adapt or Die. GT: Tyron3L1o
#7leatheljPosted 6/17/2014 10:10:13 AM
I feel a rare game that's not kinect is comeing soon.
---
Every one has there own opinions unless theirs is stupid.
#8cmincPosted 6/17/2014 10:16:29 AM
I think MS wants rare to make good video games, rare just doesnt know how to make good games for ms. The console market audiences have, in my opinion, come to expect different things from each console. Sony's good at the kitchy-japan flavor archetype stuff, nintendo's great at family friendly pixar thing, and xbox has become the go-to destination for the cool, slick, gritty, grownup-america vibe.

I dont see rare fitting in with an xbox library--that has things like halo, gears, forza, the real fable, dead rising, crackdown, alanwake, ryse, titanfall, sunset overdrive and quantum break--with the cuddly cartoon mascots that they consistently bring up when left to their own devices. I cant speak for any of you, but the horse from viva pinatta makes no sense standing next to everything else in that line up.

I'd personally rather see them make a non goofy perfect dark, have them assigned to a proper mech warrior reboot or start making different kinds of games for our avatars.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | I7-4771 Turbo | GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 | Corsair HX 850W |
Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3 | 1TB 128 MB Cache HD| Windows 8.1 | 360 | XB1
#9Jedi454Posted 6/17/2014 10:18:10 AM
TC is stuck in nostalgia, playing 15 year old games and having many childhood memories come back, making the game better than it actually is.
---
Owner of: Ps3/ 360/ XB1/ Aesthetic mind
#10AnimalManBuddyB(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 10:20:26 AM
What's wrong with the cartoon mascots? They are great and would open Xbox up to a whole New audience. I pretty much hate all of the games you mentioned except Halo and Sunset Overdrive, which are very colourful and fun.

I actually liked Banjo Kazooie Nuts ans Bolts