Why don't MS get Rare to make good videogames?

#11QueezZeenartPosted 6/17/2014 10:31:02 AM
cminc posted...
I dont see rare fitting in with an xbox library--that has things like halo, gears, forza, the real fable, dead rising, crackdown, alanwake, ryse, titanfall, sunset overdrive and quantum break--with the cuddly cartoon mascots that they consistently bring up when left to their own devices. I cant speak for any of you, but the horse from viva pinatta makes no sense standing next to everything else in that line up.

I think you're absolutely wrong about this. Rare simply needs to remember their beginnings, and go back to them.

A reboot of the Wizards and Warriors, or even a spiritual successor, would be a huge seller, given the popularity of the Souls games. If MS wanted to counter Sony having Bloodborne as an exclusive this would be perfect.

A new Battletoads game would print money for the both of them. Look at the success of Castle Crashers for proof of this.

Why no new R.C. Pro Am for several generations? It was a solid series, and a genre that isn't overly saturated these days.

I believe, without a doubt, that they have the potential to create titles that could stand next to every game listed in the quoted statement. Whether or not they ever do it is a different story.
#12SigmaLongshotPosted 6/17/2014 10:31:07 AM
I've certainly not been with them since circa 2007 so I only hope they've picked it up and recouped some of their losses since then.

All I know is it was so sad to see them say, "Hey, all those cool new IP and ideas you're bringing to the table? Nah, people want the same things they played in 1998 again. Your studio can either now make safe family titles with broad appeal for the next five or so years to try to get back to neutral, or face the consequences!"

We were quite far into phase one of Kameo 2. Things like adding new elements (there were Light, Dark, and one weird one that didn't have a name, like "Plasma" or "Nuclear" - we'd settled on a dark spider-like woman and Thermite had grown up, becoming "Atomite"). To get the news that every game in the past five-plus years hadn't met targets really hammered home that people SAY they want one thing, then don't vote with their wallets.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#13teeebzPosted 6/17/2014 10:35:02 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I've certainly not been with them since circa 2007 so I only hope they've picked it up and recouped some of their losses since then.

All I know is it was so sad to see them say, "Hey, all those cool new IP and ideas you're bringing to the table? Nah, people want the same things they played in 1998 again. Your studio can either now make safe family titles with broad appeal for the next five or so years to try to get back to neutral, or face the consequences!"

We were quite far into phase one of Kameo 2. Things like adding new elements (there were Light, Dark, and one weird one that didn't have a name, like "Plasma" or "Nuclear" - we'd settled on a dark spider-like woman and Thermite had grown up, becoming "Atomite"). To get the news that every game in the past five-plus years hadn't met targets really hammered home that people SAY they want one thing, then don't vote with their wallets.

Reading this sucks. I loved Kameo and have wanted a sequel since the original. I love adventure type games and Kameo was a good one for Xbox along the lines of te Mario 64, Zelda, Jak and dexter (original) type of stuff.

But nah, let's make kinect sports
---
GT- MR WhiteEe
PSN- Teebz83
#14crayola555Posted 6/17/2014 10:42:32 AM
Rare gotta make dem fps shooters now to get in the market.

Seriously though, they are in quite a tough spot. Back at nintendo, they actually had much support and input together in their games, and they were able to make great games with the nintendo vibe to it. Then they had games like goldeneye , perfect dark etc. which was from their own creative developments.

Nowadays...they can't make their brand of games well anymore since, as someone mentioned it doesn't really match with Xbox's brand. And I don't know how much microsoft communicate with Rare, but it most probably isn't to the level at which ninty does with them. If they try to make another perfect dark-like game.....no use as it's outclassed by xbox's own lucrative shooters type.
---
3DS FC: 0619-4850-3479 IGN: AlmaDelita
#15SigmaLongshotPosted 6/17/2014 10:53:41 AM
crayola555 posted...
Rare gotta make dem fps shooters now to get in the market.

Seriously though, they are in quite a tough spot. Back at nintendo, they actually had much support and input together in their games, and they were able to make great games with the nintendo vibe to it. Then they had games like goldeneye , perfect dark etc. which was from their own creative developments.

Nowadays...they can't make their brand of games well anymore since, as someone mentioned it doesn't really match with Xbox's brand. And I don't know how much microsoft communicate with Rare, but it most probably isn't to the level at which ninty does with them. If they try to make another perfect dark-like game.....no use as it's outclassed by xbox's own lucrative shooters type.

Actually, you might be surprised to learn that Microsoft's image was to get Rare to make a bunch of brand new, re-envisioned franchises and properties for them, rather than rehashing old stuff. They were so eager to distance Rare from being "the underlings of Nintendo" that they just tossed huge contract money their way and told them, "make something unique to build the Xbox brand!" - of course, the irony is that the opposite happened, people wanted old Rare games on the Xbox platform, creating a deficit in income, resulting in Microsoft telling Rare they'd be on a short leash for a few years until the money was re-made.

In allowing them full creative freedom to create five brand new IPs, they effectively ended up having to stifle their creativity in the long run.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#16tubb311Posted 6/17/2014 10:56:14 AM
maybe its because they are a crap developer. They haven't made a decent game in like 15 years. anyone that worked on a good game at rare has likely moved on to make good games elsewhere by now.
---
GT: DonShetland
#17AceAndJunpeiPosted 6/17/2014 11:01:39 AM
They're busy making AAA million-seller titles like Kinect Sports Rivals and Xbox Avatars.
#18PS2 4 LifePosted 6/17/2014 11:18:02 AM
I personally LOVE Rare. Hell, I have a custom Great Mighty Poo plush I had made that cost me around $250.

http://www.fiendle.com/plushies/greatmightypoo.php

Unlike a lot of people, I still think that Rare makes great games. I loved Kameo and Viva Pinata. And Perfect Dark Zero had some great multiplayer back when the 360 launched. I think Viva Pinata was probably one of the best games Rare ever created. A lot of key members have left Rare, but I think they still have the ability to make great games.

I have yet to play the Kinect Sports games though. I was never the biggest fan of motion gaming. Though I am thinking of giving Rivals a chance once it goes down in price a little.

Hopefully, with the poor sales of Kinect Sports Rivals, their concentration on games again, and the fact that Phil Spencer is the new head of the XBox division. Maybe we will see some new creative IPs from Rare greenlit again. Or, at the very least, maybe some reboots or sequels to some of their older titles.
---
Games I am looking forward to:Sunset Overdrive, Mighty No 9, Tales of Xillia 2, Bayonetta 2, Grim Fandango, Alien:Isolation
3DS FC: 0404-5580-6237
#19jetstreamfoulPosted 6/19/2014 12:13:54 AM
I always felt that N64 was Rare´s system for some reason hahaha. Their input to that thing was far stronger than Nintendo´s imo even though Nintendo did provide plenty of great games to that system as well. Anyway its just sad that after N64 era, they simply just dissappeared, i basically forgotted that Rare even exists or existed LOL( i dont know should i laugh or cry so i decided to LOL).

I had original Xbox&Gc back in the day and i feel like that besides StarFoxAdventures their stuff just drowned behind all those other games that were avalaible at the time. Maybe marketing the games were done poorly? Maybe the games were just so bad that no one didnt wanna talk about them? But i feel like Ms didnt understood Rare and its games which caused them to drown behind all those Halo´s and Fable´s. Like someone mentioned games that Rare made didnt just fit with the stuff MS had. All those key developers were leavin and MS wasnt experienced with the games industry much so they hired some bad staff there. Basically my point is Rare was too big for Ms to handle at the time. Ms was like," yeah lets buy Rare they did some good stuff for Nintendo" and then,"what are we going to do with RARE?" that is what they asked from themselfs until they put them down to make Kinect games.

I would love to see Rare to make good games for ONE, that way I would definately get the system. But i feel like Rare is lost case atm. I can be wrong and hopefully i am.

Anyway this is how i see the situation.
---
"What about StarFox?!"
#20PS2 4 LifePosted 6/20/2014 11:18:12 PM(edited)
"TC is stuck in nostalgia, playing 15 year old games and having many childhood memories come back, making the game better than it actually is."

I still hook up my old systems from time to time and play a lot of the old classics. And, I am not going to lie, A LOT of the games we use to play back on the PS1, N64, Saturn, etc. have not aged very well at all. This especially applies to action or fps games.

I can't tell you how many times people have come over to my house and seen my N64 hooked up and wanted to play Goldeneye 007. Then, just being incredibly shocked at how badly it plays compared to shooters nowadays. Firing a rocket turns the game into a slide show. I still love the game, and still have a blast playing it. But, if Goldeneye was released today, it would be laughed at.

Not all games suffer from this though. I still think Banjo Kazooie is the greatest 3D platformer ever made and I think the game holds up incredibly well. But, most games I play from the beginning of the 3D era of gaming are nowhere near as good as I remember.

Gaming is actually better then it has ever been. But, most people don't seem to realize it.
---
Games I am looking forward to:Sunset Overdrive, Mighty No 9, Tales of Xillia 2, Bayonetta 2, Grim Fandango, Alien:Isolation
3DS FC: 0404-5580-6237